It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Conservative Policies are Driving Americans to Suicide…"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Tomm Hartman reminded his radio audience today that the conservative policy of austerity is driving up the suicide rate according to a study.

Virginia’s suicide rate is now the highest it’s been in the last 13 years; Virginians are now three times more likely to die from suicide than they are from homicide.

truth-out.org...

The fact is, America’s suicide rate is on the rise, and Conservative economic policies are to blame. In a study released in May, Professors David Stuckler and Sanjay Basu of Oxford University in England found that suicide rates in both the U.S. and U.K. increase when working class wages and wealth decline.

The study calculates, for example, that there were 4,750 “excess” suicides during the recession period in the U.S., compared with suicide rates before the recession. Stuckler and Basu conclude their report by saying that, “what we’ve learned is that the real danger to public health is not recession per se, but austerity.” That’s right. The very same austerity policies that Republicans in Washington are constantly pushing on us are the same policies that are driving Americans to kill themselves.

And these findings are nothing new. Australian research shows that suicides increase under Conservative governments. Australian scientists found that suicides in that country increased markedly when a Conservative government was in power. And, they found similar results for the U.K.

truth-out.org...

Here's more...

Suicide Rates Increase Under Conservative Governments

The Australian team analysed suicide statistics for New South Wales between 1901, when the federal government was established, and 1998. They took into account periods of drought and World War II, because of their economic and psychological impact (suicide rates were higher during those periods.) After adjusting for these factors, the figures showed the highest rates of suicide occurred when both Conservative state and federal governments were in power. Conversely, the lowest rates occurred when state and federal governments were both Labor

stevensonfinancialmarketing.wordpress.com...

edit on 1-8-2013 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-8-2013 by Willtell because: added material

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Very interesting, do you know if the austerity measures being pushed on other countries in the E.U. by Germany are liberal or conservative ones? Thanks for the data.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
Very interesting, do you know if the austerity measures being pushed on other countries in the E.U. by Germany are liberal or conservative ones? Thanks for the data.

I know Germany itself has very liberal policies. For example, in unemployment one receives benefits until they find work.

Also in Germany they mandate that union representatives be on Boards of Directors.

In the EU austerity has definitely raised the suicide rate in Greece.

+16 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Willtell

A democrat lead majority in the Senate, a democrat in the White House, yet it is conservative policies?

Did I miss something here?

Did I wake up in Bizarro World?

I'm confused. I thought we were on the "road to recovery" (trademark Obama ) thanks to all his policies.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Unfortunately, I don't find your source specifying which economic policies Conservatives in America created that would be the blame for the numbers?

I wonder, could you elaborate as to which policies those might be? I'm a little confused. Austerity would most closely match Sequestration for a "name" and 'program' to identify in the U.S. for it. Now that one is definitely not the product of conservative thinking. Not really partisan at all for the many hands that went into cooking that pie.

It must be others?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

A democrat lead majority in the Senate, a democrat in the White House, yet it is conservative policies?

I'm confused. I thought we were on the "road to recovery" (trademark Obama ) thanks to all his policies.

The conservative Republicans are blocking everything Obama wants to do.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Austerity. For example, Christie cut the education budget 1 billion dollars in New Jersey.

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Willtell

Originally posted by beezzer

The conservative Republicans are blocking everything Obama wants to do.

So by simply stopping Obama's policies, (which ones BTW?) they are enacting their own?

Obama has the final say (veto power) on any legislation passed.

Blaming conservatives for Obama's policies is like blaming the tree when a drunk runs off the road and crashes into it.
edit on 1-8-2013 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Well, that's a fair example I suppose. In terms of austerity, anyway. Now as for the partisan bit of it? I'm not sure where Conservative has to do with that policy. If you dislike Chistie as a conservative? Hey, I'm with ya 100% on that one. He's one of those 'stars' of the party that remind me why I've come to detest the politics and hypocrisy of both sides. GOP most definitely included.

See, the thing is though..... If New Jersey's education cuts are the result of 'Conservative' policies? Then how might you be explaining this one?

Chicago Public Schools (CPS) has marked 129 elementary schools for closure or consolidation based on utilization, performance, and community feedback. Closing a school is a very disruptive decision, affecting student outcomes, parental confidence, and neighborhood stability. In addition to showing the data being used by CPS, this website aims to help school leaders, parents, and communities learn more about the schools being closed, and what options may be available.
Chicago School Closings 2013/14 School year

Imagine...that's not even a whole state. Just one city. I'd fall out of my chair and get back to do it twice if someone could show me how Chicago policy is anything remotely related to conservative policy making. City, State, County and..as it happens in this case? Presidency for direct line out of that one.

...it took both parties to reach this state of Misery. I just want a ticket out and back to the Island of Stability. I've given up on seeing a Nation of Prosperity anytime in my short-mid term future again.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
You can't blame the increase in suicides on conservative policies. That would be like saying that the malfunction of the brakes on a car can be blamed on the fact that cars have brakes. If there were no brakes on the car they could never fail. You cannot drive a car safely if you have no way to slow or stop it.

This seems to be a weird logic put out by the Liberals which is kind of stupid The country is getting more liberal and the suicide rate is increasing, that association is also part of the equation that cannot be ignored.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
More like the liberals are killing off America. Overtime America becomes more liberal because of progressives. This means that the liberals are the ones ffing up America. And yes things are getting worst overtime not better.
edit on 1-8-2013 by amfirst1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
This is not just in America.

The point is that the conservative idea of austerity is harmful.
Look at Greece for instance

Murder, suicide, disease surges under Greek austerity

www.scmp.com...

When Greece's economy took a plunge, murders and disease rates soared, according to a study that suggests the impact of the European nation's austerity cuts may be worse than expected. Suicide and murder rates climbed from 2007 to 2009, particularly among men, and unusual outbreaks of malaria, West Nile virus and HIV took clinicians by surprise, according to the findings published in the American Journal of Public Health on Thursday. The decline in health and rising violence came as Greece's once robust economy collapsed into recession following the global economic crisis of 2007. The government implemented austerity measures that included a major downsizing of the Ministry of Health, where spending fell nearly 24 per cent from 2009 to 2011.

And here Obama, for example wants to have an infrastructure building surge, that would create jobs as well stimulate the economy, but the Repup conservatives are into austerity: cut, cut, cut ,cut.

If it were up to them, conservative republicans, we would have an austerity program like in Greece.

edit on 1-8-2013 by Willtell because: added link

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Well sunshine I guess a lot more people will become suicidal when the real economic crisis hits.

Austerity? When the global economy grinds to a halt you will fondly remember austerity.

(and a protip - Conservative methods of spending didn't get us in this mess, social programs / reckless spending / industrial military complex had huge parts in the global mess)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
Well sunshine I guess a lot more people will become suicidal when the real economic crisis hits.

Austerity? When the global economy grinds to a halt you will fondly remember austerity.

(and a protip - Conservative methods of spending didn't get us in this mess, social programs / reckless spending / industrial military complex had huge parts in the global mess)

That’s just not true. What ruined the economy in 2007-8 were the derivative, building and real estate scams done by Wall Street.

Bill Clinton left Bush a balanced budget.

edit on 1-8-2013 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Your Clinton left Bush a balanced budget was just the start of the housing bubble. Not exactly something to be proud of. This economic crisis has been in the works for decades, by both sides of the political spectrum. Unfortunately, neither side is remotely close to being "conservative"

But back to the OP......austerity is necessary. But too little, too late I guess.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Well, but of course! What we need is another stimulus package by another name. After all, the first one was such a raging success, what could follow another but more success?

What the jobs were supposed to accomplish....

and what actually happened...... (Keeping in mind..it passed Feb / 09)

(Source: Bureau Of Labor Statistics

By spending how much?

Line Item Breakdown of 2009 Stimulus Package

So naturally, what we need now is another round of wild spending. It's the only hope! (The nation might recover without it)
edit on 1-8-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide

Your Clinton left Bush a balanced budget was just the start of the housing bubble. Not exactly something to be proud of. This economic crisis has been in the works for decades, by both sides of the political spectrum. Unfortunately, neither side is remotely close to being "conservative"

But back to the OP......austerity is necessary. But too little, too late I guess.

Austerity hasn’t worked in Europe. Look at the statistics.
When has it ever worked?

Also in California, where the Governor rejected austerity and didn’t cut school lunches, and raised taxes, not cutting everything in site; and he has gotten great progress with that antidote.

He did a balanced approach and got good results.

www.sfgate.com...

Gov. Brown proudly signs balanced state budget

Gov. Jerry Brown on Thursday signed into law a new state budget for the fiscal year beginning Monday, calling it a "momentous occasion" for California's finances, which have been on a roller coaster for years. "We have a balanced budget, not proposed, but actually actualized - the first time in probably a decade or more where the state's finances are in very solid shape," Brown said.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

I disagree with your "protip". The rampant deregulation under the Reagan regime ( The template that has been adoringly followed by every administration since ) set the stage for every single problem we are having.

Social services and austerity for the people are not the cause of our woes... unless you count the open reign, subsidies, tax shelters, and total lack of structure and oversight that Corporations currently operate under as "austerity".

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   

I wonder how many suicides are caused by this?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Austerity does not work. I started a thread on it a while back.

Shameless Plug to Old Thread

Unfortunately you and I are in the minority on these boards. Although that does make for more fun.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join