It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive solar flare narrowly misses Earth, EMP disaster barely avoided

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Stormdancer777

1) There was no "Carrington class" CME two weeks ago.
2) Nothing "narrowly missed Earth" two weeks ago.
3) CMEs are not EMPs
4) Geomagnetic storms do not affect small electronic devices like iPhones or cars.

The article is sensationalistic nonsense in every aspect expect that a major geomagentic event could be very problematic.

You didn't answer my question.

But I learned a lot, Mr. bluebird of happiness.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Yes I did. The article is misleading (lying actually) about the specified points.
Lying about it does not help the case.

edit on 8/1/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Yes I did. The article is misleading (lying actually) about the specified points.
Lying about it does not help the case.

I see that, I am wondering why they are lying.

I highly respect your opinion, you are making me a nervous wreck.

edit on 043131p://bThursday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

sorry lol

note to self ...read entire thread before commenting ,which i usually do

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   

you are making me a nervous wreck

I'm sorry. That is far from my intent. Maybe I can ease that a bit...or not.

While there is potential for severe geomagnetic storms to cause major problems with electrical infrastructure some of the claims about the extent of those problems has been exaggerated. Aside from the hysteria about such things typical found on ATS, such exaggeration may serve to increase awareness about the potential problems. I don't like such tactics but maybe that's just me.

The now famous Carrington event was a severe geomagnetic storm. If it occurred today there would be consequences. But because of a number of variables, and because there actually are procedures which can mitigate damage (Such as just turning of the power. Extreme, but it would save the transformers), the extent of that damage is difficult to predict. But hearing "Well, it would be bad but we don't know exactly how bad." doesn't get much done in political circles.

So...when? There is no way of knowing. One could hit us next month, next year, or not for 300 years. And that's part of the problem. It's hard create an incentive to expend billions of dollars for something that could very well not happen for many generations. So again, a lot of arm waving to create attention.

I think that action should be taken. I also understand a bit about how difficult it is to do so. It's expensive. It's also problematic in the US because there is no centralized authority overseeing that aspect of the power grid. But it really is not a matter of a lack of awareness on the part of the companies that distribute power. They know about the danger. They are coming up with ways to deal with it.

Finally. Some good news. Maybe. The Carrington event happened 150 years ago. There is evidence that such extreme events don't occur often, maybe about once in 500 years. So, while it is by no means certain, the chances are that we or our children or their children will not see it happen.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

I see that, I am wondering why they are lying.

Maybe someone in the military-industrial complex or intelligence community wants to scare politicians into providing some funding for infrastructure upgrades... upgrades which might just might give someone sneaky an opportunity to lace the infrastructure with the means to make surveillance of the populace easier?

edit on 1-8-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

That was very helpful, I appreciate that, and genuinely thought this actually occurred.

I did some research on it and it seems more people believe then disbelieve that this happened, I would have never known.
spaceweather.com...

I am kinda shocked actually.

edit on 043131p://bThursday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
When I read this article the other day I put it right up there with the coronal hole article just a bunch of fear mongering and sensationalist BS as Phage had stated. One thing that surprises me is with all the sites watching the sun several tutorials on how to watch the sun out there. As well as with google that they continue to print articles that with even a little bit of clicking on links anyone including myself could see right through.

The writers of this article should be ashamed at such misguided direction to others.

Although the risk is there for a flare it would need to be big fast moving and earth directed and as of late we have not seen anything above a mid size M-class and at that it was not even a sufficient glancing blow. I'll worry if I see some significant Auroras where I live then I'll know for sure that we have some electric interaction till then, I guess we just get fluff pieces telling us the "what could happens"

SaneThinking

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
My interpretation: God fired a warning shot across the bow.
Will we heed it or get hit with the BIG ONE is the question?
edit on 1-8-2013 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

Good interpretation.
But it didn't happen.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Thank you aliens,we sure do appreciate the help.

What? I'm just being polite here,I don't know if they read it.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
[...] that it could have knocked out power, cars and iPhones throughout the United States.

Thank god I have an Android.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   

This is a pet peeve of mine. Three or so years ago a panel of scientists spoke to the disinterested five guys who bothered to show up at congress about how a solar flare or emp was a certainty in the near future and all we would need to prevent a months to years long black out were a few million dollars for the transformers and safeguards and the complete idiots of our congress declined.

The Carrington event in the 1830's was the last biggy to hit us and if it did today we'd be in deep doo doo. So easy to prevent, such horrible leadership.

Yuch.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
During the last solar maximum there was a CME large enough to scare anyone who understands CMEs. It wasn't a direct hit so we escaped, but it was very large. I've heard anywhere from X20 to X40. X30 is where we start looking at being personally cooked as the CME would strip the magnetoshphere and we would be vulnerable to hard radiation from space. One theory about the dinosaurs is that that instead of a big meteor killing them all, a large CME did the job.

Spaceweather.com is a very good source. It will give you a couple days head start if a big one comes this way. Under X20, don't be too concerned, over that, and it's time to make plans.

Big CMEs are reported. We all know when they are coming. No sneaky ones rolling by. It would be a good idea if the electric grid was hardened against CMEs. I certainly plan on protecting my electronics if a big one heads this way... dohhh... there won't be any electronics to connect to afterwards.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Orygun

I've heard anywhere from X20 to X40. X30 is where we start looking at being personally cooked as the CME would strip the magnetoshphere and we would be vulnerable to hard radiation from space.

There is no classification system for CMEs. You are referring the the classification of x-ray flares. While often associated with each other, they are not the same thing.

Since the magnetosphere is created from within the Earth, a CME would not "strip" it but in any case, our atmosphere does a very good job of protecting us from cosmic radiation. The magnetosphere does not, after all, affect electromagnetic radiation or neutral particles.
edit on 8/2/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Two EMP experts told Secrets that the EMP flashed through earth's typical orbit around the sun about two weeks before the planet got there.
A CME is not an EMP.

"There had been a near-miss about two weeks ago, a Carrington-class coronal mass ejection crossed the orbit of the Earth and basically just missed us,"
There was no "Carrington-class" coronal mass ejection two weeks ago. While there are CME on a regular basis and sometimes they encounter Earth (pretty much always crossing Earth's orbit), the Sun has been very quiet. There has not even been an M class Solar flare this month.

Sensationalist nonsense but there is always a threat of a major geomagnetic event.

edit on 7/31/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

This is a really good source for Information regarding the sun and it's influence on our planet. It also debunks this CME claim as well as the fox news report that there was a gian hole in the sun.

www.suspicious0bservers.org...

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by WHYFIGHT

This is a really good source for Information regarding the sun and it's influence on our planet.

No. It isn't.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

No disrespect phage, but that web site is an excellent source of information. Whether you agree with the owners interpretations of the data is a different matter.

Saying that site has bad information is by proxy, saying the following sites are bad places for information:

LINKS: HOW TO WATCH THE SUN
GOES X-Ray Flare Monitor:

1-MIN Updated: www.swpc.noaa.gov...

5-MIN Updated: www.swpc.noaa.gov...

SDO [Colorful Sun Images]:

SDO Page: sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Helioviewer: www.helioviewer.org...

Back-Up Satellite: www.swpc.noaa.gov...

CME Monitoring:

Stereo [COR2]: stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov...

SOHO: sohodata.nascom.nasa.gov...

NASA ENLIL: iswa.gsfc.nasa.gov:8080...

NOAA ENLIL: www.swpc.noaa.gov...

Solar Wind Telemetry:

ACE: www.swpc.noaa.gov...

SOHO: umtof.umd.edu...

Magnetosphere Monitoring:

GOES Magnetometer: www.swpc.noaa.gov...

Canadian Magnetometers: www.spaceweather.ca...

Fluxgate Magnetometer: www.haarp.alaska.edu...

Induction Magnetometer: www.haarp.alaska.edu...

VHF Riometer: www.haarp.alaska.edu...

Radio & Radiation Monitoring:

D-RAP: www.swpc.noaa.gov...

GOES Proton Flux: www.swpc.noaa.gov...

Solar Magnetic Field: gong.nso.edu...

Integrated Space Weather Analysis: iswa.ccmc.gsfc.nasa.gov:8080...

These are the sites that S0 uses for raw data and the collection of links is probably one of the best around.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by vind21

I didn't say the site had bad information.

But since you provided a very good list of direct sources, why rely on suspiciousobserver? As you say his "interpretations" are exactly what the problem is. The data is freely available, as are more scientifically accurate "interpretations".
edit on 8/2/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I, personally agree with a lot of what he has to say, judge me how you will.

The main point is, nowhere else do I know of a list of compiled links that rivals his, all on one easy to access page.

Those are simply sun related links as well. I also would not find anything that is said on that site(by its moderators) to be out of line with the expectations of information provided on ATS by those of us who care to at least attempt to present the most genuine data and interpretations we can.

I personal don't see how you could not find his daily broadcast at least 65% useful/accurate. That's worth at least alittle respect by todays standards for sure.

I don't think we can afford to keep trashing people who are able to connect with "large" audiences that are making a genuine attempt to educate someone, he is certainly, no more inaccurate than your average high school science book.
edit on 2-8-2013 by vind21 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join