It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

D.C. Council votes to Force Walmart to pay "living wage"--50% over minimum wage.

page: 30
<< 27  28  29   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

So, you refuse to explain to me why I need to pay more in taxes, then others???

I have explained repeatedly over days. Good grief.

You didn't get it then. You won't get it now. You'll never get it.

You might have some sort of mental blockage. I don't know. I'm past caring.

And it's 'than' others, not 'then' others.
edit on 6-8-2013 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garkiniss

And yet Wal-Mart's business model is failing now, and their sustainability is being brought into question.
Failed business model.

They are???? Has anyone told them about it?
I though it was you that kept stating something about the monetary value of their 3.5% margin??
If they are failing, then why would they want to open more stores?
If they were failing, why would the DC council spend SO much time in crafting law to force them to pay more in wages?
Can't have it both ways.
They are either failing, and closing up stores.
Or they are not.

An opinion backed by economic facts, but sure... it's my opinion.

What fact????
You again are the person bemoaning them on their monies gotten in profit. So they aren't failing.
To succeed in business, one needs to stay in business.
So far, Walmart is staying in business.

They don't just operate in the United States, and their factories overseas, out-managed or not, are still reflective on the business as a whole. Wal-Mart supports those practices by keeping those factories open. You support Wal-Mart as a corporation, ispo facto, you support the use of indentured servants.

Again, I love your attempt at the 7 degrees of what ever.
I don't care about other countries. Not my problem.
If I cared about other countries, I would be for bringing democracy to places and more wars.
You care?? Move there and work to make the change.
Applying American based laws and such to foreign situations is not my concern. You sound like a person to follow GW Bush.

Spoken like a true republican, though as a supporter of the "free market", you should be very interested
in international affairs.

*sigh* You can't even get that right.
I am not a Republican.
Yet another person that can't get their BS correct.

I'd call you a hypocrite, but that would require you to have moral standards.

Way to skate on answering the question.
Spoken like a true Progressive.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Garkiniss

Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll
reply to post by macman

So, you refuse to explain to me why I need to pay more in taxes, then others???

I have explained repeatedly over days. Good grief.

You didn't get it then. You won't get it now. You'll never get it.

You might have some sort of mental blockage. I don't know. I'm past caring.

No, not really.
You have yet to answer why I need to pay more in taxes, over someone else.
You are either refusing to answer because you know forcing some to pay more then others is unfair. or you are really unaware of why.
I will gladly read and respond to your statement.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

If he's saying they're wrong to claim benefits, then he must also also wrong to use loopholes.

Perhaps, I've read his responses wrong, but I don't think he claims it is wrong for people to seek benefits they are entitled to. He just thinks that he shouldn't have to pay more because of people claiming benefits, when everybody is not asked to pay more, only a select few. That's usually how the tax conversations flow around here. I pay my legally required amount of taxes and no more.

He says it's the fault of underpaid for not getting a better job. He says it's the fault of the gov for stealing his money and giving it to them. He blames anyone except Walmart.

I too, don't feel it's my duty to pay more in taxes to cover expansion of creating a even more dependent welfare state. It's a never ending, going down the drain kinda of system. We should be encouraging good job growth and manufacturing, not figuring out how to make minimum wage jobs become a career. Some jobs are only worth so much, to pay more than a job is worth to a person or business is just crazy IMO.

We can't all be brain surgeons and CEO's. Many un-academic people are satisfied to work an unskilled job for years, it doesn't make them unworthy of a decent life.

Walmart wants checkout workers because they are vital to the smooth running of business, if they weren't important Walmart wouldn't employ them - so it should pay enough to get them off benefits. Gov should force Walmart and all companies to pay their workers more.

Anyway, it's like Groundhog Day on this thread so I'm outta here.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

He says it's the fault of underpaid for not getting a better job. He says it's the fault of the gov for stealing his money and giving it to them. He blames anyone except Walmart.

Yes, it is their fault. Nothing like not holding some accountable to their own actions.
And yes, it is the fault of the Govt for stealing my money.
Walmart does not remove money from my paycheck.
Walmart does not then turn around and distribute said stolen money to people that don't have it.

We can't all be brain surgeons and CEO's. Many un-academic people are satisfied to work an unskilled job for years, it doesn't make them unworthy of a decent life.

So, why is it the burden then of others, to fund those that you mention.
You have yet to articulate anything as to why I need to pay the difference for those people.
All that is given is the emotional responses of it's not fair, those poor people and so on.

Walmart wants checkout workers because they are vital to the smooth running of business, if they weren't important Walmart wouldn't employ them - so it should pay enough to get them off benefits. Gov should force Walmart and all companies to pay their workers more.

No, as Govt has no business in doing this. Remove the Progressive ideal that it is the job of the Govt to make life fair, and you will realize that before the Govt can give to them, they must first steal me someone else.

Anyway, it's like Groundhog Day on this thread so I'm outta here.

And you don't let the door hit you in the butt either.
And another Progressive quits. Not surprised. Maybe there is a Govt program to help them with this?

edit on 6-8-2013 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

I don't know who you hang out with, but there are tons of "unskilled" jobs that pay very well. I see people in mundane style jobs make$50,000+ often, but they have drive or went to work for themselves. Being a cashier anywhere or a burger flipper anywhere aren't some of those well paying jobs. The very best cashier in the world, probably isn't worth twice as much as an entry level cashier. It's just the nature of some jobs.

Like I've said numerous times on this thread, some jobs are only worth a certain amount of money, given an unlimited job pool. Every job has a maximum threshold of wage, once that is reached, it's often a wiser move to start hiring more people. I used to hire cooks in the day and would hire them at anywhere from minimum to $15/hour, but the max they could ever make was $20 and they had to be superstars for that. Minimum wage jobs aren't meant to be a career, they are entry level jobs into the job force

Umm..... Walmart would switch to automated checkout if it could in a heartbeat, many other super-retail places have, which has resulted in the 4 or 6 registers being taken care of by one person when it used to require 4 or 6. Walmart could do the same and it would result in the loss of jobs, would that be fine with you? I'm sure they have tested it and found it just doesn't work for them for one reason or another. That still doesn't mean that Walmart should pay it's cashiers more than industry averages.

I don't think Walmart is great but I don't think they are any worse than other retailers in their market. They all pay around the same. I don't see why everyone is fixating on them when everyone else in the marketplace is paying their similar employees similar wages.

edit on 6-8-2013 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Walmart in my area already has the self checkout stands, along with every grocery store as well.

top topics

<< 27  28  29   >>

join