It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting video of alleged UFO's in alleged NASA footage - help and thoughts ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg
"Alien spacecraft" is always a valid candidate hypothesis, and space is where one would expect to encounter them, or traces of them.

But it's not the first, or even twenty-first explanation you test, based on half a century's experience with real spaceflight..

Now that's a classy answer, and as I stated above; I've found your website to be well-worth perusing. As far as these vids go, however, you stated above, in part, "If you're really seriously interested in this particular phenomenon..."

"Particular" phenomenon seems to suggest, well, particular, and as such would suggest you feel you know what the highlighted items in the video are. If the videos are real, the phenomenon contained within seem pretty distinctive and consistent.

particular |pə(r)ˈtikyələr|
adjective
1 [ attrib. ] used to single out an individual member of a specified group or class : the action seems to discriminate against a particular group of companies.

Btw, Jim, in your experience, has NASA shown much of an interest in plasma physics and if so, under what categories?

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by The GUT
"Particular" phenomenon seems to suggest, well, particular, and as such would suggest you feel you know what the highlighted items in the video are. If the videos are real, the phenomenon contained within seem pretty distinctive and consistent.

Not trying to be cute -- white dots out the window is a pretty generic kind of spaceflight phenomenon that can cover lots of routine stuff, and once and awhile, a clue from your spacecraft that you may soon die. So you pay attention.

Btw, Jim, in your experience, has NASA shown much of an interest in plasma physics and if so, under what categories?

Plasma is what scorches entering spacecraft, so heat transport across plasma boundaries is of vital importance. It also can be a radio emitter, so you watch out for avionics interference. And of course sprites and elves were among the most delightful plasma critters hunted down by external cameras on night passes in the late 1980s and 1990s. So we keep a few plasma physicists in a 2nd floor closet and let them out once and awhile to look at strange stuff.

Also, of course, all NASA solar observatories, and the HST, are involved in watching plasma. So I'm puzzled you'd even wonder about it.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

Don't get lost Jim. To be expicit, I'm suggesting that you'll promote ANY explanation for this highy unusual footage as long as its not "alien spacecraft", largely because it is your function to do so. I'm also suggesting that NASA knows very well that Earth is routinely visited by extraterrestrial craft and goes to great lengths to hide it or explain it away as ice crystals.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Also, of course, all NASA solar observatories, and the HST, are involved in watching plasma. So I'm puzzled you'd even wonder about it.

My own "sighting" left me with the impression that I had not only observed an anomalous plasma spectacle, but also left me with the musing that it could possibly have been "alive" so-to-speak. That aspect is neither here nor there, but some of the science behind plasma physics do compel me to ask such questions.

I should also note the old attorney adage of, "never ask a question you don't know the answer to." I don't always follow that '"rule," but it does come in handy for "steerage" at times. Here's a bit of the science aspect behind my question:

Given the remarkable properties of these plasmas, scientists have been debating whether they could be considered a form of life. The ability of plasma to self-organize so impressed the great physicist David Bohm, who was one of the primary research partners of Albert Einstein, that he remarked he frequently had the impression that plasmas were alive and that they had many of the properties of organic life. Modeling has shown that plasmas can imitate the functions of a simple cell, having a semipermeable cell wall through which they can “feed” by absorbing other less-organized plasma. In fact, plasmas were named after their similarities with living blood cells.

V. N. Tsytovich, another scientist based at the Russian Academy of Science, has shown how plasmas can self-organize when exposed to electrical charge. Tsytovich has developed his observations into a theory of what he calls inorganic life. The principal location of these is in the helical dust structures that have been seen to form around stars and in interstellar space.

In a gravity-free environment, these plasma particles bead together to form string-like filaments, which will then twist into helix-shaped strands closely resembling DNA. These structures are electrically charged and are attracted to each other. They are able to “feed” by assimilating other less-organized plasmas through their boundary walls. They can “reproduce” by amoeba-like splitting, and each of the plasma's offspring retains the capacity for self-organizing, growth, and further reproduction. According to Tsytovich, “they are autonomous, they reproduce, and they evolve,” behavior fulfilling enough criteria, in his opinion, to be considered a form of life.
www.netplaces.com...

The, "In a gravity-free environment..." quotation is rather interesting if we're talking about space and phenomena.

Certainly, on first look, the phenomenon in the videos here don't break any rules of some sort of plasma phenomena---whether simple or complex, eh?

edit on 30-7-2013 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Urantia1111

Don't get lost Jim. To be expicit, I'm suggesting that you'll promote ANY explanation for this highy unusual footage as long as its not "alien spacecraft", largely because it is your function to do so. I'm also suggesting that NASA knows very well that Earth is routinely visited by extraterrestrial craft and goes to great lengths to hide it or explain it away as ice crystals.

I know a lot of people sincerely believe this. In my experience it correlates with a lack of any realistic familiarity with real space flight, combined with a boatload of misconceptions and wild guesses about the subject.

That's why I composed my "99 FAQs", to try to establish a baseline of common facts for considering and evaluating objects seen outside spacecraft. You do note that I consider proper identification to be vital for mission success and even crew safety, based on past events.

With stakes so high and issues so impassioned, I've found a helpful technique is to once and awhile, make believe the 'other guy' is right and you're wrong, and try to follow through the logic of such arguments.

I'd be obliged if you would identify the factual errors -- or misstatements -- that you think i've been presenting on these subjects. Just not liking the conclusions should never be a selection factor on which things to believe are 'facts' and which, fiction.

ADD -- I think your going-in misconception that has derailed your argument is that these videos are 'highly unusual'. The opposite is true, in my experience. They show precisely what one expects to see -- and does see -- around a spacecraft in orbit. I explain why in my '99 FAQs'. Frankly, if you don't read it, your pretense of wanting to find out what these videos show, is just empty posturing.
edit on 30-7-2013 by JimOberg because: add add

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Not trying to be cute -- white dots out the window is a pretty generic kind of spaceflight phenomenon that can cover lots of routine stuff, and once and awhile, a clue from your spacecraft that you may soon die. So you pay attention.

Oh, yeah, some of those "white dots" didn't seem to exactly have a straight trajectory. Maybe that's an optical illusion, I don't profess to know. Only that it raises questions.

And you didn't answer my questions about your quote that stated, "...this particular phenomenon..." You'll keep in mind the definition of "particular" included in my post.

So, in particular, what are they in your opinion?

Let me, once again, as elsewhere on the boards, thank you for your commitment to the safety of our astronauts. Regardless of any debate here, I find you a very noble and courageous man in that regard.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Urantia1111

I know a lot of people sincerely believe this. In my experience it correlates with a lack of any realistic familiarity with real space flight, combined with a boatload of misconceptions and wild guesses about the subject.

That's why I composed my "99 FAQs", to try to establish a baseline of common facts for considering and evaluating objects seen outside spacecraft. You do note that I consider proper identification to be vital for mission success and even crew safety, based on past events.

With stakes so high and issues so impassioned, I've found a helpful technique is to once and awhile, make believe the 'other guy' is right and you're wrong, and try to follow through the logic of such arguments.

I'd be obliged if you would identify the factual errors -- or misstatements -- that you think i've been presenting on these subjects. Just not liking the conclusions should never be a selection factor on which things to believe are 'facts' and which, fiction.

ADD -- I think your going-in misconception that has derailed your argument is that these videos are 'highly unusual'. The opposite is true, in my experience. They show precisely what one expects to see -- and does see -- around a spacecraft in orbit. I explain why in my '99 FAQs'. Frankly, if you don't read it, your pretense of wanting to find out what these videos show, is just empty posturing.
edit on 30-7-2013 by JimOberg because: add add

Thank you very much Mr. Oberg for your input, expertise and reasonable attempts to explain and reply to the various statements and questions posed in this thread.

I thank the OP for presenting this material as well. I have no scientific background at all. I am just an avid reader and find this whole subject matter and anything about our search into the universe fascinating. The only comment that I can make, and perhaps most reasonable people regarding the video that was presented is that it is 'inconclusive'. We know there are thousands of pieces of space debris, and nothing in the video gives us any thing that could be described as definitive. Therefore, we just don't know. Interesting, sure. Lastly, thank you for providing important information about the shuttle's flight path in relation to this video, I think that was very informative.

I will continue to remain open minded and will continue to read and research new material, but as of right now, I am not convinced that we have any evidence or proof (they are different) of Alien craft, ET or actual visitations.

edit on 30-7-2013 by ItDepends because: grammatical correction

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
They look like ice crystals on the window being imaged through. The trails are pieces of the ice crystals breaking off and vaporizing into space. The triangle formation close to the end of the video, appear to have been cleverly added with image editing software.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Spacespider

I have seen these videos years ago, I think the source is was Martyn Stubbs from Canada that recorded all NASA video feeds and made lengthy analysis of them them in search of these type of events.

Martyn Stubbs and the NASA UFO Video Archieve

edit on 30-7-2013 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

Btw have you seen this one UFO in some archived images of NASA on 1 June, 2013
edit on 30-7-2013 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by eManym
They look like ice crystals on the window being imaged through. The trails are pieces of the ice crystals breaking off and vaporizing into space. The triangle formation close to the end of the video, appear to have been cleverly added with image editing software.

Not sure about the image editing comment but if they were ice crystals on a lens or glass that may explain the trail - may also explain how they suddenly appear.

However the object that appears at 0:27 in the second clip appears to interfere with the cloud cover but could just be an illusion.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by chunder

Interesting. Glad to see one that I can't instantly call a mis-identification or hoax. Several of them look like the could be space junk/debris, but a couple seem to move away from earth or skim the atmosphere. That's not behavior I would expect from space junk nor debris. Well, I guess it could skip off the atmosphere maybe once before entering it and burning up. but still, pretty cool!

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by eManym

I didn't think of ice crystals sublimating to gas when hitting the window, sounds plausible.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gu1tarJohn
reply to post by chunder

Interesting. Glad to see one that I can't instantly call a mis-identification or hoax. Several of them look like the could be space junk/debris, but a couple seem to move away from earth or skim the atmosphere. That's not behavior I would expect from space junk nor debris. Well, I guess it could skip off the atmosphere maybe once before entering it and burning up. but still, pretty cool!

No need to guess or speculate, since outer space is SO unearthly our normal visual interpretive patterns are obsolete. I've tried to explain the normal visual effects of the rest of the universe in my "99 FAQs" essay, please consider it a possible resource to attaining greater awareness of what it is these videos are likely showing. Earth-think, I've found, fails to correctly recognize the new beyond-Earth realities.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by chunder

Well, from Q48 of Jim's FAQ, which I assume he won't mind me quoting, then "The latency effect in the camera optics creates a ‘trail’ for a fast-moving point source [this is seen even with stars when the camera is rapidly panning]."

Which could be another explanation for the trail, the fast moving point source being close by ice crystal or similar.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join