It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawmakers Who Upheld NSA Phone Spying Received Double the Defense Industry Cash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Proving once again that government is bought and paid for by special interests. And theirs is the only influence that matters. It was never really about our freedom or not - once again, it's all about the money.

Overall, political action committees and employees from defense and intelligence firms such as Lockheed Martin, Boeing, United Technologies, Honeywell International, and others ponied up $12.97 million in donations for a two-year period ending December 31, 2012, according to the analysis, which MapLight performed with financing data from OpenSecrets. Lawmakers who voted to continue the NSA dragnet-surveillance program averaged $41,635 from the pot, whereas House members who voted to repeal authority averaged $18,765.

Amash only got $1,400, putting him in the bottom 50. But, Boehner and Pelosi are experts at this game.

House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) voted against the measure. He ranked 15th in defense earnings with a $131,000 take. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-California) also voted against Amash. Pelosi took in $47,000 from defense firms over the two-year period.

Of the top 10 money getters, only one House member — Rep. Jim Moran (D-Virginia) — voted to end the program.

Unfortunately, nothing will change unless the system of lobbyists buying influence changes. And it's getting more blatant by the minute. It's very disheartening that so few Americans are even paying attention to what's going on. But, that's the way they want it right?

There is obviously very little "public interest" among these criminals.

www.wired.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
There are numerous stories out now saying Nancy Pelosi was one of if not the most instrumental person on Capital Hill for seeing this defeated. Apparently, she strong armed the daylights out of Dems who were wavering or perhaps, had an attack of American duty come over them that she had to extinguish.

I wonder what she got out of it by being the head smurf, getting all the others back in proper line for the big vote?

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Apparently, she strong armed the daylights out of Dems who were wavering or perhaps, had an attack of American duty come over them that she had to extinguish.

Wonder if that "strong arming" included threats to release some of the info NSA gathered on them!

"Hey, we've got that phone call you made to your lady friend who is not your wife". It just keeps getting uglier.

edit on 26-7-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

That's a sobering thought...because I'm not entirely sure we can look at that now and laugh as we once did. Heck, as we would have just a couple months ago, for that matter.

More like though, I think she just told them that if they wanted to so much as pass gas in Congress again without fighting every step just to get to first base, they'd shut up, vote like she said and smile for the cameras when it was over. I believe she has a reputation for ...direct motivation.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Good story

Now we can see some of the REAL reasons for nays and yeas by politicians !!

It's not about us the public, it's about them and them and all of 'their' own.

I bet there was more under the table dealings with the 'amendment' too.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Now we can see some of the REAL reasons for nays and yeas by politicians !!

Yep - it's great when we're able to shed a little light on their motivations! Funny how the light usually shines on a money pile.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Just found this, which I wasn't aware of -

The hypocrisy is stunning. Pelosi was a leading voice against the Patriot Act when Bush was in office, now that a Democrat has the power her principles have vanished and she is actively promoting the destruction of the 4th Amendment of the Constitution.

news.firedoglake.com...

Power corrupts - add dollars to that power - and all bets are off. This woman defines psychopath.

new topics

top topics

join