It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spell Checking/Typo Issues...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
HELP! As some may have noticed, calling me Mr. Typo wouldn't be a bad nickname at times. So I come with a problem and it's one I'm about screaming at my monitor over at this point.

For various reasons, I'm still using Winblows on this box and among my browsing options for what I have to be doing, Chrome. (sigh) ..I know.... Two of the scumbag options ..but as I said, factors don't leave me a choice on this box at the moment.

What my problem is, is this. WHERE and HOW do I get a FUNCTIONAL dictionary/spell check program that will work through chrome? Their standard one is so far beyond worthless, I'd turn the damn thing off entirely if it didn't catch a few words I honestly DON'T know spelling on, automatically. A couple of the long state names, for an example.

However, this piece of junk literally misses MORE than it ever picks up and it's idea of correction is flat wrong to word and context as often as not. When I used FireFox it worked beautifully. Unfortunately Firefox eats memory like a pig in slop and will swamp out my machine quick with the nature of what I'm normally doing. So, it isn't an option for me.

I just want a spell check that actually CHECKS SPELLING on more than a 'Oh, when I kinda feel like it' basis.

* For some context... I learned typing by teaching myself about a thousand years ago..lol.. that was an evolved form of hunt/peck that literally evolved into chat room typing speed near verbal/spoken word speed. It's great at school to leave other students looking baffled at the near unbroken clickclicklcicklick in an long blur of keys ....but I'm glad no one ever asks too much about accuracy while doing it. (embarrassed smile)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Thats odd, my FF only uses about 500 megs of ram....even with 5-10 tabs open including you tube vids.

Maybe you could check out how to configure FF better. about:config is very handy. So is the faster fox and adblock plus add-ons.

I detest chrome with a passion, sorry i cant help on that front.

adblockplus.org...

addons.mozilla.org...
edit on 26-7-2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Hi wrabbit

Have you tried Iron chrome ?

Linky It was recommended to me by a member here before I bought this bad boy and sorted out all my problems.

You can read about it HERE

It doesn't support windows 8 yet, or at least didn't when I set up old lightning here

Worth a go my friend

Cody

edit on 26/7/13 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

I haven't seen a stand alone version.

There are tons of free online versions, which probably come with a ton of ads.

I usually use Microsoft Word or FrontPage.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

I'm currently using something called Ginger www.gingersoftware.com... . It's a spell checker and a grammar checker that works in all the popular browsers as well as Microsoft s Word, PowerPoint and Outlook. I've been using it for about 2 months now, it seems pretty decent so far.

edit on 26-7-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I have 7 tabs open and am using 303 Mb RAM with Firefox. I don't actually think Chrome is any different, in fact I just opened the same 7 tabs in Chrome and it was 603 Mb

Chrome has an instance for each tab so you have to add all those plus the other bits and bobs. 9 chrome.exe instances in total.

You could try Opera but if the issue is RAM install some more?

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
and it's idea of correction is flat wrong to word and context

Shouldn't that be your job?

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

MS Word integrates into most anything you have or use. Grammarly is the best stand alone checker out there, and that can be tied into your MS Word to where it checks, and corrects, as you go. I tired Ginger software once and it totally screwed my computer. I don't recommend that one.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Thanks for the Ginger idea. I'm trying it now and seeing how it works. So far, it's hit and miss to say the very least, but then, I'm also noticing it can take up to 2-3 sentences worth of typing time to recognize something way back in a paragraph was wrong, so it may just take some getting used to. Google hits wrong words instantly as the cursor left the last character .. But as noted, missed as much as it ever hit.

I guess everyone will know if it worked, if my posts stop having the near automatic 'edited' that seems to always come. (sigh)

I even talked to people at school on the issue of how I can't seem to SEE a lot of the little things in proof reading when the software doesn't catch it and all they've been able to say is, the better writer someone is, the more likely to read write through their own mistakes without consciously seeing them at all. Not helpful advice. Their solution was to read all text backward from bottom to top for errors... Ugh.. Ever tried that? It's worse. lol...

@ Thread

As far as Firefox, I've tried it several times over the past couple years as my love/hate for pretty much all things Winblows ebbs and flows. Oh...if only Linux could fully mature in terms of software cross support. It's just not 100% yet when I HAVE to use specific software in school stuff. The problem I have in FF is when I'm doing research or major threads here, for instance. It's not uncommon to have 3-5 windows open and then a line of tabs within each of them. Chrome handles that load okay and manages. Firefox? I've seen 1.8 - 2.5 GIG memory taken by using Process Explorer among other tools, to really get fine detail about memory usage. It's an ugly sight at those numbers.

Has Firefox made any MAJOR improvements in the last version? I haven't tried it since the most recent bump?

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nevertheless

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
and it's idea of correction is flat wrong to word and context

Shouldn't that be your job?

Quite frankly? Some people have issues with proof reading and reading right over the top and past errors. Sometimes, several times, and never seeing the error. As noted above, I'm among those who have this issue and it's one I've only discovered since returning to school and really getting into writing in serious ways. It's real enough to have talked with advisers about and they recognize the problem as being a valid one they see with some students ..but again, a lot of good it does to simply know I'm not alone or going crazy.

new topics

top topics

join