It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Launch of "Satan"(NATO's code name) Scheduled Until Year's End.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 03:44 AM
link   
en.rian.ru...

MOSCOW, November 9 (RIA Novosti) - The first launch of the Satan ballistic missile directly from the area of its basing has been scheduled until the end of this year, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov told a meeting of government members with the President in the Kremlin.

On his part, Vladimir Putin told the Russian defense minister to use the Russian terminology of Russian ICBMs. "Let them call it Satan in the West," Vladimir Putin said.

The SS-18 Satan missile is the NATO's classification of Russia's RS-20 missile.

As Sergei Ivanov said, the Russian Strategic Missile Forces have carried out six launches and plan to carry out two more launches this year. Apart from RS-20 missiles, launches from the Topol-M strategic systems are also planned.

The defense minister also noted that this year the Russian Navy had carried out 10 launches of ICBMs and planned another launch until the end of the year.

Sergei Ivanov also reported that two combating training launches had been successfully carried out from a submarine and a ground-based Topol system.

The first launch was made in the Sea of Okhotsk by a submarine of the Pacific Fleet, which had been recently repaired. The launch was carried out from the submarine's submerged position. The combat training missiles successfully reached the north of Russia's European part," Sergei Ivanov said.

In his report, the defense minister stressed that the launch was a "big step for our industry because it [the missile] was created with the use of exclusively Russian digital technologies and can be used both for military and civil purposes."

Mr. Ivanov also said that the missile's payload had expanded by 800 kg and its guidance accuracy had also increased.

[edit on 10-11-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 04:03 AM
link   
this would probably get alot of mention and reply in the religion threads as well ..........but very interesting in it's present state, I liked the info

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Do you have any additional information about the range, payload, cruising speed or launching facilities needed for this new 'Satan' SS-18 missile? I'd be willing to bet my savings that the russians will sell this technology as they have before to the middle east and the far east countries, as over the past few years the russians seem to have turned their back on sharing any technology for the military with any other western contries.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by radiant_obsidian
Do you have any additional information about the range, payload, cruising speed or launching facilities needed for this new 'Satan' SS-18 missile? I'd be willing to bet my savings that the russians will sell this technology as they have before to the middle east and the far east countries, as over the past few years the russians seem to have turned their back on sharing any technology for the military with any other western contries.

How far they can go with naming what comes after Satan? Those nicknames are mostly take from animal kingdom or some other existing, Satan goes a bit over it.

Its ICBM class missile, far as i know only handful of countrys have such and that technology been made possible for long time. Why would russia make expection and now start share its newest weaponry to others? Correct if im wrong and russia has sold its ICBM technology to some country before, China buying Russian rocket technology only i know. Even if tempting only madman would sell ICBM's and nukes to middle east.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 09:09 AM
link   
The SS-18 'Satan' missle has been in service since 1975. It held the US at risk during the Cold War. They've improved it several times, and it is capable of MIRV. The latest mod (mod 6) left it with a range of 16000 km. The shortest range is 9250 km. (Mod 2). Mod 6 was deployed in 1991.

This isn't new technology.

This just appears to be a launch from a fixed silo, which the US wouldn't have tolerated during the Cold War. It may have a new mod, but it's not new. I would think that the Russians are responsible enough not to sell ICBM technology to terrorist organizations, or third-world governments that support terrorism. Still, if you want to worry about it, go ahead. I still maintain that the only remarkable thing about nuclear terrorism is that it hasn't happened yet.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Yeah.

What's supposed to be so new about the SS 18?

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 02:16 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here is another link in the weaponry forum talking about this exact topic, there is plenty of information in there.

Everything you want to know about the SS-18 Satan

Edit - Stuffed up the link about 80 times o.O

[edit on 14-11-2004 by Kenshin]

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
cant believe they called it satan.

satan definition: the ENEMY OF MAN (thats what it means in Hebrew)

devil definition: SLANDERER (thats what devil means)

world is looking bleaker by the minute.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 08:59 AM
link   
If I rember right the balistic missle technology that Iran prestently has came from India, China, North Korea, and that can be taken back to Russia. So since this newer technology is there it might make its way to nations that just might want to use to start a war, or genocide. I agree it does not look pretty from that stand point. However Russia did not use the nukes during the cold war, so I do hope that will keep that technology away from the people who do want to see it used.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Red Golem
So since this newer technology is there.

Like we have been saying this technology isn't new its been around since 1975 and the last time this missile was modified was in 1991 which gave the missile 1 warhead with a yield of 20 megatons

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 06:18 AM
link   

During the Cold War the SS-18 was perhaps the most feared of Russian strategic systems (hence its demonic NATO designation) because of the supposed threat it posed to U.S. ICBM silos. In the late 1970s and early 1980s, the Committee on the Present Danger (among others) touted the "window of vulnerability" -- the threat the large, accurate SS-18 posed to U.S. ICBMs. This fear of ICBM vulnerability (which didn't take into account the invulnerability of the sea leg, and the alert posture of the air leg) was a significant impetus for the nuclear buildup of the 1980s iniated by U.S. President Ronald Reagan.

I suppose that gives us the reason for the name ' Satan '.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 06:26 AM
link   
thats all we need now. A UFO(antigravity) delivery system of a nuclear warhead.

NATO=OTAN
OTAN sounds like a Beast from one of the Old Godzilla movies

Personally I dont think Putin is completely human....he has that drac look about him.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthStrgnrThanFiction
cant believe they called it satan.

satan definition: the ENEMY OF MAN (thats what it means in Hebrew)

devil definition: SLANDERER (thats what devil means)

world is looking bleaker by the minute.

satan means accusor or adversary in hebrew...

new topics

top topics

join