It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four Russians, Ukrainian charged over massive 7-year hacking spree; stole 160m bank card numbers and

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Four Russians, Ukrainian charged over massive 7-year hacking spree; stole 160m bank card numbers and hacked the NASDAQ

www.nypost.com

Four Russian nationals and a Ukrainian have been charged with running a sophisticated hacking organization that over seven years penetrated computer networks of more than a dozen major American and international corporations, stealing and selling at least 160 million credit and debit card numbers, resulting in losses of hundreds of millions of dollars.

Indictments were announced Thursday in Newark, where U.S. Attorney Paul Fishman called the case the largest hacking and data breach scheme ever prosecuted in the United States.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Amazing how vulnerable is the system. 5 guys sitting thousands of miles apart from their targets in the comfort of the computer can steal insane amounts of money for 7 consecutive years,selling the info on forums!

NASDAQ got hacked by 4 Russians. News like this just reaffirm my point that all this "security" that they sell us its all a lie and its very easy to do what ever you want if its done with common sense.

Only time and quantum computers would give them some sort of security and still we will have to see if we ever get and unbreakable computer network.

www.nypost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
And people wonder why I refuse to own credit cards and debit cards.......
Only prepaid for me, that way it gets stolen, maybe I lose a few bucks at most after I bought whatever online. From the research I have done, the banks, to force people to use credit and earn themselves more interest, give way more "protection and recourse" on credit cards should your number be stolen than debit.
edit on Thu, 25 Jul 2013 14:57:00 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
How many do not get as greedy as these guys and just disappear after getting a certain amount?
Greed always brings the criminal down...unless you are a banker

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I don't like carrying large amount of money on me, like buying a car or something that costs more than a pint of milk, in other words in impractical not to.
That said, I agree I hate credit cards and electronic payments all for the same reasons as yourself.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
One thing they do, is encrypt a hard drive of a target (think major corporation, bank, etc.) asking for ransom to get the key. In order for things to run smoothly most of the time they pay and the public doesn't have to know about it.

There was a theory floating around in the community during the whole 'Flame' fiasco with Iran, it was actually The Russian Business Network behind the attacks.

edit on 25-7-2013 by Laxpla because: (no reason given)

top topics

join