It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto Video Revolt! Must See Animation (Make This Go Viral)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I just received this on my facebook homepage, with the captions "Monsanto Video Revolt! Must See Animation - Make This Go VIRAL!" So, i figured, i'd give ATS a shot, at helping achieve that goal. I have to admit, it is extremely funny. Yet, very serious. Here we go.

First, let's start by giving you a brief overview of who Monsanto is:

Monsanto Company is a publicly traded American multinational agricultural biotechnology corporation headquartered in Creve Coeur, Missouri.[3][4] It is a leading producer of genetically engineered (GE) seed and of the herbicide glyphosate, which it markets under the Roundup brand.[5] Founded in 1901 by John Francis Queeny, by the 1940s it was a major producer of plastics, including polystyrene and synthetic fibers. Notable achievements by Monsanto and its scientists as a chemical company included breakthrough research on catalytic asymmetric hydrogenation and being the first company to mass-produce light emitting diodes (LEDs). The company also formerly manufactured controversial products such as the insecticide DDT, PCBs, Agent Orange, and recombinant bovine somatotropin.
Now, let's take a look at what the big deal is with Monsanto and why we should help this video go viral.
Spread the word!

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Out to all my friends. Thanks!

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Starred and flagged. All GMO info needs to be shared, educational videos even more so!

I'll share this on my forum as I don't use social networking sites.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   
A cartoon? I guess they know the intellectual level of their audience.

No facts, just a bunch of really bad sarcasm.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I've known about Monsanto, vaguely, but this video really puts it into perspective. It's one of those WTF
moments. Is this stuff actually going on, now; or is it coming soon? What stage are they in?

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Didn't expect to see you here, Phage. Must be on to something. lol So, what's your take on Monsanto?

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Here are some of those "facts" you required. Pretty scary stuff.

The success of the herbicide Lasso had turned around Monsanto's struggling Agriculture Division, and by the time Agent Orange was banned in the U.S. and Lasso was facing increasing criticism, Monsanto had developed the weedkiller "Roundup" (active ingredient: glyphosate) as a replacement. Launched in 1976, Roundup helped make Monsanto the world's largest producer of herbicides.

The success of Roundup coincided with the recognition by Monsanto executives that they needed to radically transform a company increasingly under threat. According to a recent paper by Dominic Glover, "Monsanto had acquired a particularly unenviable reputation in this regard, as a major producer of both dioxins and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) - both persistent environmental pollutants posing serious risks to the environment and human health. Law suits and environmental clean-up costs began to cut into Monsanto's bottom line, but more seriously there was a real fear that a serious lapse could potentially bankrupt the company."

Such a fear was not misplaced. By the 1980s Monsanto was being hit by a series of lawsuits. It was one of the companies named in 1987 in an $180 million settlement for Vietnam War veterans exposed to Agent Orange. In 1991 Monsanto was fined $1.2 million for trying to conceal the discharge of contaminated waste water. In 1995 Monsanto was ordered to pay $41.1 million to a waste management company in Texas due to concerns over hazardous waste dumping. That same year Monsanto was ranked fifth among U.S. corporations in EPA’s Toxic Release Inventory, having discharged 37 million pounds of toxic chemicals into the air, land, water and underground. In 1997 The Seattle Times reported that Monsanto sold 6,000 tons of contaminated waste to Idaho fertilizer companies, which contained the carcinogenic heavy metal cadmium.

Then in 2002 the Washington Post ran an article entitled, "Monsanto Hid Decades Of Pollution, PCBs Drenched Ala. Town, But No One Was Ever Told". Monsanto began production of polychlorinated biphenyls in the United States in 1929. PCBs were considered an industrial wonder chemical - an oil that would not burn, was impervious to degradation and had almost limitless applications. Today PCBs are considered one of the gravest chemical threats on the planet.

Monsanto produced PCBs for over 50 years and they are now virtually omnipresent in the blood and tissues of humans and wildlife around the globe. These days PCBs are banned from production and some experts say there should be no acceptable level of PCBs allowed in the environment. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says, “PCB has been demonstrated to cause cancer, as well as a variety of other adverse health effects on the immune system, reproductive system, nervous system and endocrine system.” But the evidence of widespread contamination from PCBs and related chemicals has been accumulating from 1965 onwards and internal company papers show that Monsanto knew about the PCB dangers from early on. For instance, toxicity tests on the effects of two PCBs in 1953 showed that more than 50% of the rats subjected to them died, and all of them showed damage
Source

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Been posted before:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sponsored by NATURALNEWS.
That would be why I found a lie in the first 25 seconds.

"is nutrition getting you down?"
Making the claim that GMO is related to lower nutrition levels in food.

(ignoring the stupid bit about insect genes and fish genes being delicious)

and at 52 seconds
"..we're irradiating everything you eat, so you'll never have to absord a single nutrient ever again"

At 5:03, it talks of spreading the "gmo goodness around" by the wind, "accidental cross pollination", and then goes on to say that if its in your crop that "you've got to pay" etc...

This was specifically refuted in the Percy Schmeiser court case, where every single person in the court, including the Judge, has stated that this is simply not the case.
Furthermore, in the recent Organic farmers vs. Monsanto trial, the organic farmers could not cite a single example of where the above scary story had ever actually happened.

Its all simply not true. The video just lies to you about it.

Its a shame that the anti-GMO crowd cant actually talk about issues that are real, and have to make stuff up.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by WonderBoi

So, what's your take on Monsanto?

It's a really big company that has a large, but far from exclusive share of the seed market.
What do you think about DuPont?
www.motherjones.com...

edit on 7/25/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Don't mind him

The threads with great evidence and peer reviewed science he stears clear of .......won't see him for dust
But a thread he can pick at and cause as much friction as possible he's all over
Dare I say it ..........the most intellectual troll on ATS
But watch him for long enough and you'll notice the pattern

As by your comment you already have

Call me a horse once ......shame on you
Call me a horse twice ......ill slap your face
Call me a horse 3 times .......well, might be time to invest in a saddle

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by RAGU3L

The threads with great evidence and peer reviewed science he stears clear of .......won't see him for dust

Or perhaps just doesn't post if doesn't know the answer?

Phage does provide lots of good information. That aside though, I'd say to link the threads you're talking about ... though I think it would be more polite to ask privately rather than calling out. I'd be curious to see the threads you're referring to but frankly am not qualified to judge GMO food.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

Nonsense ...........he loves the science
Moreover when the science is contrary to his belief but too robust to discredit he is nowhere to be found
But a thread like this, that is light in science but heavy in its desire to spread awareness his agenda begins to surface

Being the intelligent person he obviously is, one would like to think there would be an understanding of the modern human psyche
Today's people don't want science heavy, dry informative documentaries

This medium being a short cartoon with good information, although not entirely scientifically accurate is designed to inform, perk interest and inspire self educating on the said subject, much like the public service and informational short films used by the education system and gov since the 50's
Again many were not 100% scientifically accurate but conveyed the relevant information in an easy to digest package

As someone has pointed out ...this vid states that 100% of your food is irradiated ..........now we all know that is not the case, from one perspective

However
Some food is irradiated to increase its shelf life
And crops that are not in season in where ever you may be, how do you think they still end up enmass on your shelves ?
You go to where they are in season, pick them before they ripen ( green ) transport them to the nation that requires them, then force ripen them by use of radiation as a ripened product would degrade and rot during the transportation process

So
Please could you point out to what fruit and veg is in season 12 months of the year where you live or can be produced on a large enough scale hydroponically to keep up with demand ?

With regards to posting links to threads with peer reviewed science, alas I've searched but cannot find the thread that came to mind and stuck in my mind due to the peer reviewed science .............and absence of certain posters

However there was one recently and if my memory serves it was regarding pigs digestive systems
But there are more

edit on 25-7-2013 by RAGU3L because: Edited as you state in profile NOT IN THE USA

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Oh yay, a Natural News cartoon. I used to lap their stuff up like it was going out of style until I found out they have a knack for misrepresenting information, or flat out inventing it, for their articles.

It's a shame this has the NN stamp on it in any form, a lot of people are going to question it's truthfulness or completely write it off because of their history.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by RAGU3L
reply to post by Pinke

So
Please could you point out to what fruit and veg is in season 12 months of the year where you live or can be produced on a large enough scale hydroponically to keep up with demand ?

We run out of bananas sometimes I suppose or they become expensive, but am not really defending GMO too muchly and would assume bananas aren't natural anyway. Haven't read enough on the topic.

With regards to posting links to threads with peer reviewed science, alas I've searched but cannot find the thread that came to mind and stuck in my mind due to the peer reviewed science

More interested in the articles I suppose.

I might go on a journal reading adventure this week and try to learn more about the topic. Hopefully I find the time.

The aspect of certain posters being missing is a bit more of a side thing I guess. I don't really want to get too deeply into it. I believe most of the reasons are fairly mundane though.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
For someone without an opinion or much information on GMOs, this video would be useful as an introduction, but it's hardly convincing, either. I think it's not going to persuade anyone to the anti-GMO camp directly, although it *can* get people to find out more, which is a good enough reason to make it go viral.

Incidentally, I think the revolving door bit might raise some eyebrows among the more conspiracy-minded ATS folks.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

I think we both know that the average person out there is not going to either want to, or have the real capacity to properly research this out. In fact, a big way the truth (of so many things) is failing is in the way it's marketed.

So, in the context of the real world we live in, let us indeed, aim to the audience. Forgetting the audience is a classic mistake.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

So, in the context of the real world we live in, let us indeed, aim to the audience.

And lie to them.
If GMOs are so bad, why do those who are so strongly against them have to exaggerate, distort, and outright lie?
edit on 7/25/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Why lump all GMO haters into the same boat? You like logic - use some.

I believe there are plenty of bad things about GMO's without having to make stuff up.

On the flip side ( unless he was a very long time ATS observer) I fail to understand how someone can claim to Know your posting habits when they have an ATS account thats only 4 days old.- It's taken me 4 years to get to know some of the posting habits of many ATS regulars.

~~~~~~~~~~

BTW, this video is Heavy with sarcasm. Some of the things people think are lies may be just sarcastic remarks such as " all our food is irradiated" - some people cannot tell the difference.
edit on 26-7-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Why lump all GMO haters into the same boat? You like logic - use some.

Fair criticism but case in point...this thread topic. Rabid anti-GMO...distortion, exaggeration, and lies.

I believe there are plenty of bad things about GMO's without having to make stuff up.

Too bad the discussion can't be restrained to whatever it is your concerns may be.

edit on 7/26/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

You go to where they are in season, pick them before they ripen ( green ) transport them to the nation that requires them, then force ripen them by use of radiation as a ripened product would degrade and rot during the transportation process.
reply to post by RAGU3L

I wonder why they don't just use ethylene gas to force-ripen. That's the gas that bananas and probably other fruits/vegetables emit that accelerates ripening. Maybe it's cheaper to irradiate or something. I guess if I really want to know, I'll need to research and follow the money.

BTW - If you want your not-so-ripe tomatoes to ripen quickly, put them in a paper bag with a banana and check them daily. They'll ripen a lot faster.

<<   2 >>

join