It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm One Of The First To Yell Rock.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
now i must say that i'm one of the first to say rock.
i even have a little video i like to play for the martin rock threads.
but i when i started surfing the link in this Martian earthworks and parallel tracks came across this image.

when i looked to the bottom left, i saw this,

number one reminds me of a machete, or a knife of some sort. it could also be just a rock. i can live with that.

but number two really doesn't appear to be natural, i mean i know it's mars and everything andi'm looking at it from earths perspective. but look at it and look at the thing sticking out from the right side.

i may have to stop yelling rock and posting this video.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   
The second looks like a chainsaw

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Dude, that's an awesome rock. Did I mention, rock? Rock! ROOOOOOCK!!!!

Seriously, though. Rock.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I'll take up the torch then...ROCK!!!

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Hahaha. Honestly, initially I thought the one on the right was kind of odd, but the more I looked the more I thought...well...rock. Hahahaha

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   
yea , yea, i knew it was gonna happen.
and i guess i deserve it. but it is kinda odd and seems outta place.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Its Rock a fellas!

When is a rock not a rock, when its not a rock that looks like a rock but its not a rock, but this is a rock!

Keep rockin

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

but it is kinda odd and seems outta place.

Because you are looking at Mars with Earth eyes. Two completely different environments. Earth has atmosphere, water erosion, vegetation and animals that churn the soil. Mars is a lot colder, drier, less atmosphere and ZERO living things to move anything about.

The result over eons is an entirely different landscape that appears well, different.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
as just about the first "serious" answer you have got on this thread, I will tell you that the AI program which they run these images through, will add areas of black and areas of grey at the borders of anything which looks like it has non 'rock-like' qualities.

For example I have found areas of black with clear structures sticking out from underneath and areas of pure black 'shadow' which occur yards away from the camera where a true shadow would not be pure black. This leads me to believe that they run every image through one of these artificial intelligence programs and it adds extra bits to confuse the eye This, plus the heavy image compression and the overlay you can often see in the sky, camoflages whatever it is so that it is not recognised.

You may scoff at this idea, (I dont really care if you do) but after a good few years of examining 'rocks' I can say without a doubt that this is what is done. Some of the Apollo 16 images are classic examples where this has been done and some of the best examples in MER images are done around pipes running across the landscape of the picture.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by hounddoghowlie

but number two really doesn't appear to be natural,

You mean like this

huey.colorado.edu...

or this

Don't assume what's natural and what isn't

edit on 24-7-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by qmantoo
as just about the first "serious" answer you have got on this thread, I will tell you that the AI program which they run these images through, will add areas of black and areas of grey at the borders of anything which looks like it has non 'rock-like' qualities.

TOTAL and utter BS!!! AI programs

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Because you are looking at Mars with Earth eyes. Two completely different environments. Earth has atmosphere, water erosion, vegetation and animals that churn the soil. Mars is a lot colder, drier, less atmosphere and ZERO living things to move anything about.
The result over eons is an entirely different landscape that appears well, different.

Of course you look at Mars with earth eyes, how could anyone not do this - including scientists?

Two different environments? So are swamp and desert, but we manage to detect the differences between the two dont we - even in photographs? You have to remember that scientists use the same images (although from the PDS) we are looking at to write their scientific papers.

If you believe that there are no living things on Mars, then I dont rate your mental stability when the truth comes out, it could be quite a shock to you. Please be careful. It is people such as yourself who the government are worried about not being able to handle the news that aliens exist in our lives. Please take a 20 minute break each evening to aquaint yourself of the latest developments on Mars. :-)

I would really appreciate your input to some of my other threads about the Martian earthworks for example and you could tell us how these appear on the landscape when there is nothing there on Mars but rocks.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Yeah, a machete and a some type of skank...there also appears to be a set of Brass Knuckles there in the middle..

Dude you discovered the site of a martian gang war.
edit on 24-7-2013 by IamSirDrinksalot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   
well if you guys liked that one i saw this in the same image in the op link.

it's not quite as distorted in the original image. it's about center of the page. there are two or three others there too.

but doesn't this look like someone has been chiselin hieroglyphs, or cuneiform on these.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 02:40 AM
link   
can someone tell me why they need a external joystick, it's not like there is someones there to drive it. or are they.

edit on 24-7-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

It's a Mastcam calibration target.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
The angle of the sun is also shown, but the idea was to have different colours at the different corners of the calibration unit so that they could match the colours produced by the images to known values. I think I read somewhere that they have not been able to make this work as a calibration tool but I cannot remember why...

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   
i also found this in the op image. it's just to the above left of the cuneiform rock.

you can see it better here.

and it really stands out in the link image.

sure looks like something was blurred out there.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I give you this challenge, take pictures of rocky environments on Earth, stare at them for hours, and see how many random objects and weird stuff you can find in them.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by hounddoghowlie
can someone tell me why they need a external joystick, it's not like there is someones there to drive it. or are they.

edit on 24-7-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)
It's a sun dial, actually. As well as being a caliberation tool.

Thank Bill Nye for that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join