It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US court renews authority to continue telephone surveillance programme

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

US court renews authority to continue telephone surveillance programme

www.c bronline.com

A secret court in the US has granted the National Security Administration's (NSA) request in continuing the telephone surveillance as part of a snooping programme that was uncovered by Edward Snowden.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
This has also been posted under other media outlets, such as WSJ.

blogs.wsj.com...

The usually secretive U.S. Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court approved a renewal of an order allowing the National Security Agency to continue collecting data about phone calls made by most Americans, the Office of Director of National Intelligence said Friday.

The news marked a rare public announcement about such government or orders issued by the surveillance court. An announcement by DNI said it was taking that step “in light of the significant and continuing public interest” in the NSA program that scoops up telephone “metadata,” the information about when calls were made and the numbers involved.

I'm kind of surprised that no one else has posted this, especially given the reactions I've seen on ATS.

www.c bronline.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 22-7-2013 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a "secret court" doesn't sound very transparent to me.

What is apparent to me, is that the US Government, on behalf of the global financial elite, are waging a "secret war" on the populace of this country.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by supremecommander
a "secret court" doesn't sound very transparent to me.

What is apparent to me, is that the US Government, on behalf of the global financial elite, are waging a "secret war" on the populace of this country.

That's where you and I will have to agree to disagree. The "global financial elite" are not behind this.... This *is* helping us in the national security arena...but it is also being abused as a political ploy, pure and simple. All that aside, it is also a blatant violation of the 4th amendment.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
From all the news of the extensive steps which the government has taking to increase it's surveillance of "we the people"; I have just about come to the decision to drop off the communications grid.

No phone - no internet - not even a computer.

I think I have made a pretty good life for myself and my family without the use of these things, so maybe I will return to the good old days before I had them. I am, after all, about ready to retire and may well move a little further back into the woods.

I don't have any idea the loss of no more than the amount of money which I am currently paying for these "services" will hurt the tele-coms very much at all.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by CIAGypsy
The "global financial elite" are not behind this....

International corporate special interests and their lobbyists? You don't think so? I tend to lean that way.

Sure isn't very American to say the least.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
What I don't understand is why we the tax payers and voters even acknowledge a so call Secret court that obviously is not under any jurisdiction but its own, isn't that call illegal and actually the way that things are done under a dictatorship?

How in the heck this court get their powers when the power is supposed to come from the people.

In my understanding of our constitution this courts are actually illegal.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

International corporate special interests and their lobbyists? You don't think so? I tend to lean that way.

No, it is not international corporate interests either, financial or otherwise. The new face of war and subsequently national security has gone the realm of cyber warfare. Through cyber warfare and espionage, countries like Iran, Russia, and China can level the playing field while taking cover under certain political rules that everyone plays by. Without certain proof, we cannot declare sabotage as an aggressive act of war. And while we may be certain that particular state actors are at play, it is another thing altogether to meet a certain standard of proof that is required to act on it as war. This means that our government and national security must have access to more data to find patterns and information to know how the enemy operates. The underlying intentions are good which is why so many Americans think this is no big deal. However, history has repeatedly proven that those in power will and do eventually abuse this type of power. That's why the 4th amendment came about go begin with...

Bankers are not behind these orders... It's the parasites that suck off the good intentions to catch terrorists and our enemies.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
There Cannot be ANY secret court pulling strings.

If there is, then our country has already been the victim of a hostile illegal takeover.

I'd like conformation of this " secret court ". I wanna know if it's real and what our elected representatives think about it and - what they plan to do about it.

~~~~~~~~~~ Kinda Off Topic ~~~~~~
I, on the face of all of this I cannot understand why the real alternative media such as ATS doesn't take a stand on these issues. ATS could be a force for good if they would just relax some of their policies and allow it's users to take a harsher stand publicly. ATS or The Above Network doesn't want this job and that's sad indeed. They don't want to be caught in the middle between We The People and The Corrupt Government. In a way I can understand this, they want to protect themselves. If I owned ATS, I'd use it for a tool to fight all this corruption.

Perhaps people can suggest other forums we can use that will let us take a stronger stand. ( sorry, I Love ATS but I'm just frustrated because we are not allowed to advocate certain things and ATS does reach a very large base of people.)

edit on 22-7-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Where have you been? This has been revealed long ago. FISA court:

link

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I just saw CIAGypsy's post above.

So one article calls this a secret court but the Wall Street Journal names it as the " U.S. Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court "

here is the Wikipedia article on it and it's opening paragraph.

The United States Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC, also called the FISA Court) is a U.S. federal court established and authorized under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 (FISA) to oversee requests for surveillance warrants against suspected foreign intelligence agents inside the United States by federal law enforcement agencies. Such requests are made most often by the National Security Agency (NSA) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Congress created FISA and its court as a result of the recommendations by the U.S. Senate's Church Committee.[1] Its powers have evolved and expanded to the point that it is has been called "almost a parallel Supreme Court."[2]

Since 2009, the court has been located in the E. Barrett Prettyman United States Courthouse in Washington, D.C.[3][4] For roughly thirty years of its history, it was housed on the sixth floor of the Robert F. Kennedy Department of Justice Building.[3][4]

In 2013, a top-secret order issued by the court was leaked to the media by Edward Snowden. It required a subsidiary of Verizon to provide a daily, ongoing feed of all call detail records—including those for domestic calls—to the NSA, and sparked considerable public controversy.
Contents

en.wikipedia.org...

Thats some pretty scary stuff. This was announced Friday - where is the public outcry since Friday?

As I said, we are Doomed. Big Brother is here Now and no one seems to have any power to stop this corruption of our US Constitution. I'm not being an alarmist, but the handwriting is on the wall, those who have eyes to see and the guts to face the truth can plainly see it.

edit on 22-7-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

If they were, then you wouldn't see things like this happening: www.bloomberg.com...

Timing on that one is interesting if one follows game theory. The move could be either burning bridges or a sacrifice, depending on how one looks at it. If the timing is related, then it means that the financial elite aren't quite in control or are losing control.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteAlice

If they were, then you wouldn't see things like this happening: www.bloomberg.com...

Timing on that one is interesting if one follows game theory. The move could be either burning bridges or a sacrifice, depending on how one looks at it. If the timing is related, then it means that the financial elite aren't quite in control or are losing control.

It's a chess game.

Growing up I was always told that those who don't have power or wealth will always try to take it from those who do. A king (or queen) wears a heavy and lonely crown. Of course, we don't live in a world any longer where monarchy holds absolute power, but the adage still stands.

Another bit of wisdom that was passed onto me which is highly relevant to your post:

True power lies not with who owns the gold but with who controls it.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Wow a secret court with no public oversight and with transparency optional has agreed that continued spying on the American public is legal. Isn't that like asking major CEO's of food and drug companies to head the FDA? Oh wait we do that too! ivn.us...
edit on 23-7-2013 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Truth?

TRUTH

You cant handle the truth!

Well actually you probably can, but we aren't going to tell you anyway.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I'm no Constitutional scholar so pardon my ignorance here but...

Here's a digital copy of the Constitution (minus the Amendments)... Can someone please point out where it states the Federal government has the power to create secret courts?

The Constitution

I must be overlooking something because I haven't found it yet..

edit on 23-7-2013 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
I'm no Constitutional scholar so pardon my ignorance here but...

Here's a digital copy of the Constitution (minus the Amendments)... Can someone please point out where it states the Federal government has the power to create secret courts?

The Constitution

I must be overlooking something because I haven't found it yet..

It's not in the Constitution. Generally, the Constitution LIMITS government authority. We have laws that were created outside the Constitution which give certain authorities to the government. The FISA court was created through one of these laws in the 70's. The Patriot Act expanded upon these authorities.

For more information, I suggest you look here - www.fjc.gov...

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Of course they renewed it. What else would they do? Water is wet, too. Is it news?

top topics

join