It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ashes :D

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Well Its 2 up for England because we have just strolled to a 347-run win over Australia at Lord's.
Is this going to be a whitewash? can the Aussies win one or not?

I will let a little child give a run down lol.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

After winning by 14 runs in the first match

I was a tad worried

But well done lads

Cody

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Sad state of affairs for Australian cricket.

Team needs a major rebuild from the ground up.

I haven't even bothered to watch it this time round, time difference doesn't help either.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I've been watching online (I'm Australian, and don't have a TV (by choice, I just use my PC for everything)).

It's been pretty hard stuff to watch, as an Aussie. Our bowlers have been decent - in fact, we have a couple of excellent bowlers in Faulkner and Bird who haven't even had a look-in yet... but the batting has been appalling. It's not just a lack of confidence (though there is that), the shot selection has been horrific, and there's no patience.

What yesterday's play demanded was a Mark Greatbatch-like innings. He once batted for three days to force a draw against Australia (in 1989). I remember that innings - I was only 8 at the time, and quite frankly, it was the most boring cricket I've ever watched, but it was EXACTLY what was needed at the time.

In contrast, Australia's batsmen seem so focused on hitting boundaries that they can't bear to play defensively for even an OVER at a time, let alone an entire day (or three!).

...it makes me grumpy.
Regardless, England played VERY well in this test. They wholeheartedly deserve to be up 2-0. Except for Stuart Broad. He should be taken out back and shot.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Currently in chat right now mocking one of our fine fellow Aussie members about the ashes just as it so happens..

It's been a good series so far, I've enjoyed it a lot. It's been, dare I say, and yes I am still talking about cricket here.. but it's been rather exciting to watch. Winning by a slim margin first of all, and then being given a real show in the second series. It's surely all over now I would think as well, so hopefully we can secure it and then go for the whitewash.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
It shows how bad the Aussies are at the moment

Cause England are playing poorly and still showing them up.

I'm still loving it though.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   

As a proud Yorkshireman, what a happy weekend it just was. Steamroller the Aussies and Yorkshire trounce Derbyshire to go to the top of the table. Oh happy days......

I have been loving some of the online comments on the Ashes, my favourite last week being from a dad who basically posted that his 9 year old son was watching and failing to understand his dad's glee, saying "but we always beat Australia". As an old hat, i would love that naivety! I remember so many drubbings, it is good to be on the right side for once.......

I do feel sorry for the Australian bowlers though, there are some very good performances being put in. Shame they can't bat or use the DRS properly! Far too early, but i am praying for a 5-0. It would be good to experience one in a lifetime!

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Great isn't it

So only one Aussie commented here so far?
Come on fellas imagine the shoe was on the other foot

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   
IHaarp is being used to make English population think its winning. All the news reports in Australia have us thrashing England. No seriously the Australian players are being Haarped because the Illuminati don't want Australia winning for the imminent royal baby, very unsymbolic.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
IHaarp is being used to make English population think its winning. All the news reports in Australia have us thrashing England. No seriously the Australian players are being Haarped because the Illuminati don't want Australia winning for the imminent royal baby, very unsymbolic.

Typical Aussie sportsmanship!

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Too many big egos...it wont hurt to pull them down a two.
Not sure why you would play Rodgers...too old get some new blood and enthusiasm in the side.Khawaja cant play at that level dont know why he is in the side either. Batsmen are pathetic...i would back the tail too make more runs.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Melbourne has just secured the 2015 wold cup finals - to be played around this sunburnt country.

Enjoy your 15 minutes.

Oh and congrats. for hanging in there, I can remember when we, as were the mighty Windies -
near on unbeatable yet you kept aiming up.
( thank goodness for Sth. Africa
)

Ed: S&F kitty fiddler ...

edit on 30-7-2013 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

I do feel sorry for the Australian bowlers though,........

Why?

I've endured Ashes series after Ashes series where Australia destroyed us - they were on a completely different level to us - and not once did they ever offer even the slightest bit of sympathy or encouragement etc.
And that's how it should be.
Especially in something as important as this - The Ashes are in my opinion possibly the pinnacle in team sport and are exactly what it says - a test of the team, the individuals that comprise that team and even the nation that they represent.

As for the Aussie side - woeful batting.
When they had all the greats playing for them they could be so aggressive, simply because they were so good.
This bunch can't even be described as 'reasonably good', so they need to apply a little bit of grit and steely resolve.
Quite a half-decent bowling side - they must be, they've stopped Cook getting runs.
But I wouldn't be too surprised if they give Jackson Bird a run out soon - I was impressed with him in the two games against Sri Lanka.....and despite Ashton Agar's efforts in the first test I suspect they may bring Nathan Lyons in to replace him.

Man for man you've got to say that there's only Michael Clarke and possibly Ryan Harris and Shane Watson who would challenge for a place in a combined England / Australia team at present.
That's how far ahead an under-performing England are at present.

But Aussies have more than just a few things in common with us.....one of them being that they are at their best when their backs are against the wall - they may just have a sting in their tail yet.

Good to see so many Aussie's over here watching the series - shame they haven't got the biting banter of The Barmy Army.

I have enormous respect and regard for our antipodean cousins - but I hope we humiliate them 5-0 in this series and then bring The Ashes back home, yet again, when the conflict resumes at the end of the year down in Oz.

Got to say I thought there'd be a few more contributions from the normally vocal Aussies.
edit on 30/7/13 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

As far as the Aussie fans go

it seems as though

They only sing when their winning.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by marvinthemartian

They only sing when their winning.

Indeed......which obviously isn't very often nowadays.

But even when they do they seem to lack the cutting edge, witty barbs and originality that The Barmy Army are renowned for - which is quite surprising considering the quality of the Aussie sledging over the years.

Some of the best 'sledges' ever - most involve an Aussie.

top20cricketsledges.blogspot.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Too many big egos...it wont hurt to pull them down a two.

^^^ Exactly

I am a proud Australian, but our cricket team is in shambles.

Cricket is a team sport, Not the Warner, Watson and Clarke show

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
England retain the Ashes

British summer time
lovely

edit on 5-8-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Waiting on verification, but there is accusations of the English using silicone on their bats.
Apparently to avoid detection on hot spot replays for snicks

This does not sound good.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Timely

It's being quite strongly denied by KP etc - he sounds royally pissed off about it, and makes a valid point about LBW's.

Pietersen added: "How stupid would I be to try to hide a nick when it could save me on an LBW appeal, like in 1st innings where Hot Spot showed I nicked it."

Apparently it's alleged that Australian batsmen have been doing it as well.

"It is not just England under investigation. Nine News understands that Australian batsmen may also be using this method."

These reports seem to have originated from Channel Nine in Australia.
www.bbc.co.uk...

I hope there's no truth in these allegations - if ANYONE is proven guilty of such practice they should be banned from cricket for life.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Likewise mate.

If anyone is caught out BS'ing about this, they should be right royally rogered !!

Time will tell, hope its all twaddle ...

top topics

join