It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trinity College experiment succeeds after 69 years .. Pitch dripping from a funnel.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

But observation requires the prossesing of light waves,,photons, which may be effected by higgs,, which might alter each percieved reality.
,,thus an effect of mear observation. its just a hypothesis.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyofGlass
reply to post by StargateSG7

Is what you are saying something that could be observed within a reasonable amount of time? It sounds like a property that takes effect so far out that any piece of glass would have been eroded before the property you are suggesting would have turned it into a pool. I think when people point to "glass flow" they are asking if there observable flow in glass and the answer is no. Theoretically you could probably place glass in some space free from weather for millions of years and it MIGHT turn into a puddle but again it hasn't been observed.

---

Depending upon the substance, glass creep can be a MEASUREABLE effect visible
over a few weeks or months or it can be imperceptible over decades if not many centuries.

Silica would have a measureable few-millimetres-level glass creep running after only a few years
at a time period of greater than two but less than five years. Alumina (aluminum oxide) or Steel
would have creeps measured in less than a millimetre over 1000 years. Thermodynamic
expansion/contraction would be seen before glass creep in metals or specialty ceramics.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Please provide sources of glass (silica, silica dioxide) creeping after a few weeks.
edit on 21-7-2013 by LadyofGlass because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Thanks for the source. It's very interesting but still leads me to believe that traditional glass (like window panes) etc. haven't been observed to flow. I did read that there is glass made from limestone that has to have an added element to increase durability...so yeah I agree with what you said that all glass isn't created equally. Again, I have been unable to find any source showing observable glass flow however...

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by LadyofGlass

Nor will you find any source measuring the acceleration of the Earth toward a paper clip when you drop the paper clip, but even though we can't measure it, we think it's still a valid calculation, though you can say the effect is negligible.

Math tells us that both this and glass flow happen, but in amounts beyond our ability to measure directly. We use inferences of other observations which are measurable to develop the mathematical models, and in turn these models can be applied to situations which are beyond our measurement capability. The gravitational model is probably pretty accurate, but due to the complexities of glass properties I'm not as sure that model is as accurate.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyofGlass

Please provide sources of glass (silica, silica dioxide) creeping after a few weeks.
edit on 21-7-2013 by LadyofGlass because: (no reason given)

---

As far as I know glass creep would NOT happen over a few weeks but rather a few years
(as I stated earlier) but here are some respectable sources of information regarding the
phenomenon of "creep" in glasses, ceramics and metals:

General Overview of Creep:
en.wikipedia.org...

Glass Creep is VERY OBSERVABLE in space:
tierneylab.blogs.nytimes.com...

Advanced Ceramics and Future Materials
By Fritz Aldinger, Volker A. Weberruss:
----
books.google.ca... en&sa=X&ei=s7fsUe2TNaiyiQKKiYDADg&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Observable%20Glass%20Creep&f=false

Creep is a result of Glass being an Amorphous Solid:
science.howstuffworks.com...

Creep Testing of Glass Ceramics at higher temperatures:
link.springer.com...

THIS IS THE BIG ONE:
Elastic rather than Viscous creep was less than 3% over 50 years for glass plate:
www.glassfiles.com...

The above abstract basically tells us that true sludge-like glass creep is not a factor over periods
up to 50 years BUT rather there may be ELASTIC creep due to temperature, torsion, flexion or shear
stresses APPLIED to glasses of all types.

---

As per my earlier statements, I did say there was a MEASURABLE creep over as little as two years.
What I DID NOT REALIZE is that this may not be an example of viscous creep but rather ELASTIC
deformation due to APPLIED MECHANICAL STRESSES OVER TIME rather than internal viscosity.

This was NEWS TO ME!

I has no idea that short term elastic deformation was such a problem in glass or ceramic.
I always KNEW there was "creep" but I was always under the impression that it was the
internal viscosity created by the amorphous nature of the glass particles and its issues
with "static adhesion" between the micro-scale particles of the silica or oxide ceramics.

I DID NOT factor in temperature or mechanical stresses into the equation over time!

I still STAND BY my assertion of "creep" in glass being visible or measurable over periods
of time within two to five years....BUT... I must CHANGE my belief from that it is due to
viscosity OVER TO mechanical stressors!

WELL WELL WELL I learn something new every day!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join