It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Choosing a new computer

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

100% agree falcon is a good company but expensive

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
OP, if you decide you would like to save a bunch of money and build it yourself, I can personally walk you through putting it all together.

Years ago, it used to involve some pretty funky stuff (DIP switches, etc), but now its quite literally plug and play.

Alienware is going to rip you off unless you find some random clearance deal on their site (which can definitely happen).

You can go to a local PC place as well, though it wont be free.

We can do it all through this thread, email, whatever. I just dont like that someone would have to pay more for a product simply because their lack of knowledge. You can gain that knowledge by building it yourself, with some assistance, and it is something that can save you a good amount of money in the long run.

If you are looking for some Linux distros, LinuxMint15 has been pretty impressive to me. Especially in applications where the end user wants a customized platform, but also ease of use. It is very easy to set up with them to get *exactly* what they want. The only issue is video games and specialized software. There are things like WINE, and WINE front ends, but they dont always work. Support OpenGL development to change this!

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   
The computer i am on now is 13 years old and i built it my self.

Still works fine but getting old in the tooth. And will become a linux computer after XP is no longer supported

One thing i will say is don't go with a large TB hard drive but go with two smaller hard drives and keep a disk image of the main hard drive on the secondary hard drive as a backup.
I have been using this computer for 13 years and have a lot of data stored on it and still have used only 70 GB

How someone could ever fill a 1 TB hard drive on a home computer is beyond me unless they were using it as a security camera video storage computer.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join