It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MODS!? When INTRODUCTIONS...well...aren't!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Ok. Is it just me? I see a new and interesting topic, only to realize its in the INTRODUCTION Forum. These new members jump in out of order in the INTROS ONLY Forum, disregarding any rules we have with something like "I just signed up and the moon tonight..."...whatever. You know what I mean. It's an INTRODUCTION ONLY Forum. Why do these overly-excited newbies not read anything about this place? Whats so hard to understand?

I for one think if they post anything other than an INTRODUCTION, it should be deleted. Why is so hard to read and see what you signed up for and the Ts & Cs?? Because they just dont care and are all excited. It brings down the integrity of this forum. Its getting bad around here.

And then...we have long time regular members ANSWERING these people! They know the 20 posts 1st before starting anything, right? In the beginning, the mods would catch 'em and tell right up. Not anymore. They just let them go on talking.

I say either educate these people about the 20 posts with a definition of what the word INTRODUCTION means, or drop the rule. I know I dont have to read them...but I think that still...they should be informed of the rules. Or drop the rule all together.

End rant....MS
edit on 05/05/13 by mysterioustranger because: wiping perspiration....

edit on 05/05/13 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Stupidest rant I've ever heard lol.

There is no formal way of introducing ones self - you can do it how you please IMO.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   
its just you.

i dont know what else to say. perhaps oreos?

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ObservingYou

if this is the stupidest rant youve ever heard, you have not been on ats long enough IMO.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by LurkingRelentlessly

Lol - maybe I exaggerated

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Actually I think it makes a change, I was getting bored with the same old, "hey I'm new here" introductions.

I think it's good to see new members are keen to integrate and add something, which makes them an individual.

Also you can use it as a taster, as to the sort of material which you can expect from the member.

As long as they introduce themselves as the thread implies, why shouldn't the new members share a quick topic that they hold interest in??

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I've been here since I was 12 and im 21 now. And since then I've never seen someone complain about the introduction forums.

You know its there to help people get to 20 posts right? They get no precious stars for their post no matter how spectacular.

But ill let you rant all you want unless you want to talk about butterflies in this forum... well then ill complain

edit on 14-7-2013 by TheLotLizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Im just ranting folks...we are allowed to do that too. Im just sayin'....thats all. Rant, Rant. Rant.

PS There has been others bugged by this too....I dont care...Im just not reading anything that says INTRODUCTION. Because it wont be....more interesting things elsewhere....like in the cooking/food section of this "CONSPIRACY FORUM".

Pfffft

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Take a look at my introduction. You will see how sometimes introductions can divulge valuable feedback.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   
The twenty post rule is in place to keep spammers, trolls, and folks out to promote their own sites or channels from jumping in and flogging their wares... the same reason why private messages don't work for new folks either. it also helps new people to have a moment to become familiar with the feel and rhythm of ATS as well as to give a staff member a chance to drop those all important "welcome" links.

It was never designed to, or meant to censor or dissuade new people from posting quality or breaking information.

If we were to study 100 such threads ( introductions that are not introductions ) - I would guess that 70-80 of them end up in the trash and 20-30 end up being judged as having enough merit to be moved to another forum and kept alive.

These decisions are based upon staff consensus and aren't always as cut and dry as one might think at first glance. Not too many months ago, for example, a member posted a very good thread to the intro forum - because they had less than 20 posts. The caveat... they had been a member for over 4 years. To arbitrarily silence that person simply because they prefer to lurk would have been absolutely the wrong decision.

The Introduction forum is usually quite fun and is a really good way to help improve the quality of ATS ( therefore improving the quality of what we have to read as members ) by making new people feel welcome and at ease when the first show up. There's little in this world more off putting than entering a strange place and feeling unwelcome.

I hope this helps to answer your questions.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Yes. Thank you Heff for the explanation. I understand...MS

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

The twenty post rule is in place to keep spammers, trolls, and folks out to promote their own sites or channels from jumping in and flogging their wares... the same reason why private messages don't work for new folks either. it also helps new people to have a moment to become familiar with the feel and rhythm of ATS as well as to give a staff member a chance to drop those all important "welcome" links.

It was never designed to, or meant to censor or dissuade new people from posting quality or breaking information.

If we were to study 100 such threads ( introductions that are not introductions ) - I would guess that 70-80 of them end up in the trash and 20-30 end up being judged as having enough merit to be moved to another forum and kept alive.

These decisions are based upon staff consensus and aren't always as cut and dry as one might think at first glance. Not too many months ago, for example, a member posted a very good thread to the intro forum - because they had less than 20 posts. The caveat... they had been a member for over 4 years. To arbitrarily silence that person simply because they prefer to lurk would have been absolutely the wrong decision.

The Introduction forum is usually quite fun and is a really good way to help improve the quality of ATS ( therefore improving the quality of what we have to read as members ) by making new people feel welcome and at ease when the first show up. There's little in this world more off putting than entering a strange place and feeling unwelcome.

I hope this helps to answer your questions.

She got it right, when I was just looking around here i was scared to say anything. I would see newbies get attacked just asking questions. So I got some courage, and posted in the introduction thread. I also said the type of things I like looking at, and people were nice, and eased me in. They even told me where to look for what I like. So I like that people can say what they like too, its an awesome way to get people started.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I like the intro threads. Look at this one today, it had a big fight go down
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It was good I tell ya!

P.S. you have to read it from the beginning (of the thread)
edit on 25-7-2013 by RUFFREADY because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join