It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Atheism a religion of War?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Atheism is a religion of war. It wars on other religions around it, making fun of people in an attempt to make them appear backwards for the sake of ridicule, but more often than not the religion of choice to attack always primarily seems to be Christianity.

Case in point are the sheer number of posts that occur in this forum, specifically targeting Christianity, and many of them erroneously using the Hebrew Bible to attack christians, whom are not bound by the Law and are not jews.

You see, Atheists like to pride themselves on a "lack" of belief, or they say they disbelieve in God or gods, which is just their way of tinkering with words and beating around the bush so they do not appear to be a religion. Yet Atheism is indeed a religion, they believe there is no God or gods. Atheism is a religion of the negative, with no hope beyond what they can achieve in this life, so in essence it's all about taking and conquering for their own selfish and personal interests and achieving their own agendas.

The proof is right here in the religion forum, just take a look. Their posts make my case as they relentlessly attack Christians, often for the sake of just being malicious.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
bump.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

perhaps they resent the idea of burning in hell... as opposed to simply not existing after death?

Im not really sure which is worse honestly...

Also not so sure Atheists wage war like religion does... What do they fight for?

Land? or Oil I suppose?

Possessions?

I don't see the point considering they can't take anything with them in any case

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Believing Jesus died on the cross for our sins so you can get into heaven is only looking after your own selfish and personal interests too, so I see no difference between the two.

Usually atheists want to make this world a better place for those that come after them, religious people don't care about this world because they think eternal bliss is on the other side of death.

I'm not an atheist either, I just think your premise is extremely flawed, so was the other thread's.

I'm guessing the other thread struck a chord in you? Rang a few bells?
edit on 14-7-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

They fight for power. Case in point, they say that people try to shove Jesus down their throats in school, yet the bible isn't being taught in schools nor anything about the Gospel, yet they can shove evolution and Darwinism down Christian's throats and we have no choice but to take it.

Now whom is shoving what down whose throat? Seems to me like the secular folks are doing the shoving.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Atheism is not a religion.
Perhaps you should examine what a religion is before you declare that atheism is one based on lack of belief in a deity. Usually, a religion that doesn't worship a deity is referred to as a philosophy, hence Confucianism. Atheism is hardly that, either.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
reply to post by Akragon

They fight for power. Case in point, they say that people try to shove Jesus down their throats in school, yet the bible isn't being taught in schools nor anything about the Gospel, yet they can shove evolution and Darwinism down Christian's throats and we have no choice but to take it.

Now whom is shoving what down whose throat? Seems to me like the secular folks are doing the shoving.

Perhaps... but Jesus speaks of peace...

this seems to be a rebuttal to the other thread where the OP clearly took scripture out of context to prove an absent point... but he also used revelation which is a very "war based" book...

Dude was just playing on the general dislike for religion and likely based the thread on what he was familiar with

Though he did ask an interesting question... There are many "Christians" who want to promote war to bring on the second coming....

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Believing Jesus died on the cross for our sins so you can get into heaven is only looking after your own selfish and personal interests too, so I see no difference between the two.

We don't have a choice in that. His modus operandi demands it, if you want to blame someone blame him.

You know the whole.

John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

But we're talking about Atheists here so, Atheism is a religion of war. You just proved me right because your very first post was to attacking Christianity.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Christians do not make war. None of the Apostles died fighting. Jesus did not die fighting. The men and women who were boiled in oil and burned alive in Nero's garden, did not die fighting.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Are you implying that atheists don't have a choice either?

You do have a choice, and your choice is to save your soul from hell, which is selfish in itself because it is looking out for "your" best interest in the end. You are doing the same thing that you are accusing others of doing. That's kind of hypocritical don't you think?

Atheism is not a religion nor is it for war. Many if not most atheists are also humanists, meaning they are totally against any kind of war and want peace above anything. Religion has started more wars than anything else, Christianity included, so there is much more evidence for religion being more warlike than atheism.

Do you want Jesus to come back? If so, you want war, because war is what is supposed to happen before his return.

I'm not an atheist either, so you didn't prove anything.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

Christians do not make war. None of the Apostles died fighting. Jesus did not die fighting. The men and women who were boiled in oil and burned alive in Nero's garden, did not die fighting.

Ya I realise that... but these are Christians... right?

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   

It's pretty sad that you choose to anchor your understanding of Atheist's as war'ing people, especially considering you're referencing of posts on ATS. Maybe the reason atheists seemingly attack Christians most often is because they feel that Christianity is one of the closest 'religions' to their ideologies. That's obviously, only from the surface, but I must say that Christians more easily co-mingle with athiests than most other religions of the world. If that's a good or bad thing, I dont know. Maybe some athiests feel that they can pull back theologians from the depths of delusions of grandeur.

Some people grow into not needing religion, some of these people actually could benefit from it... but in the end, we are who we are. Your 'God' my 'God'.... pfff, just be you and allow others to do the same, it;s all that matters.

and now, a little Metallica, even though it's full of religion:

Trust I seek and I find in you
Every day for us something new
Open mind for a different view
And nothing else matters

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

So none of those Christians fighting in the Crusades were actually Christians? None of those Christians killing those "heretics" during the Inquisitions were actually Christians? The church which was run by Christians and who ordered the Crusades and Inquisitions actually wasn't run by Christians?

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by retirednature

I think it's more because Atheism runs rampant in developed countries that are predominantly Christian. Open atheism is not tolerated in most Muslim countries. I think it's taboo in most of the Africas as well. I'm not entirely sure about countries that are dominantly Buddhist or Hindu.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I personally do not feel shame in pointing out childish beliefs,
if that's the way you see it then im sorry but to me the beliefs
religious folks hold are childish and irreverent of responsibility.

Religion teaches a perverted morality, they then claim is ok
for children, if you have read just about any of the major
religious texts then i cannot see how you could agree that
they are ok. They condone acting in reality in ways that
are harmful to others, then when people question why
they would need to act in such a way it is claimed that they
have some kind of divine dictated morality they are following,
all this in the name of maintaining respect for a simple belief
which cannot be proven true..... yeah sounds level headed
and well thought out to me...... ugh.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
First of all, Atheism is not a religion. You don't believe in Hinduism do you? So is your lack of belief in Hinduism a religion in itself? What about the thousands of other religions? Atheists believe in one less god than you do, the number is in the thousands.

Secondly, any religion could be seen as a war on other religions and Atheism, not all Atheists attack religion just like not all religious people attack other religions or Atheism (just like you are, OP). You will see more Atheist doing so, because they have both logic and science on their side whereas religion has a book at most, religious people don't really have any ammunition to do so. The world, what we can observe and what we know is heavily biased towards Atheism which makes it extremely easy to ridicule those that have been indoctrinated with a (from a critical view) flimsy viewpoint. That should tell you something.
edit on 14-7-2013 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   
People are where they are.

You can tell who is spiritually mature because they allow others to believe what they wish without the need to inflict their beliefs on others. This applies equally to atheists and religious folks.

People comfortable with their beliefs don't need to justify them to others.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   

There's several different kinds of Atheists.
Every Atheist is usually an island unto themselves with their own personal worldview.

Atheism is not a religion. It's a description. It's a description of someone who does not believe in invisible people that live in the sky; gods.

The gods of yesterday in dead religions were just as real to their followers as the gods of today. Now, those religions are called mythology. The religions of today are just another mythology.

As far as war goes; I'm fairly certain religion has its fair share of blood on its hands; Inquisitions, Crusades, etc.
I've yet to hear of any Atheists starting wars just because someone else wasn't also an Atheist.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

I've yet to hear of any Atheists starting wars just because someone else wasn't also an Atheist.

I don't believe I've heard that one. You need to send that to Penn Jillette. (unless he said it also?) Damn good in any case!

Atheism is not a religion of war. It is a state of being at peace with yourself and accepting that you "don't believe" or you "just don't know"...Penn explains better

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Atheism is a religion of war. It wars on other religions around it, making fun of people in an attempt to make them appear backwards for the sake of ridicule, but more often than not the religion of choice to attack always primarily seems to be Christianity.

So... since when does "making fun of people" constitute a "war"? I think your premise is pretty weak. In fact, I think it's ridiculous. Not starting a war or even making fun of you, but atheists don't band together and actually go to war with people because they believe differently. I think Christianity, Judaism and Islam have that pretty well cornered. These religious follow a tenet of "eradication of evil" in the name of their "savior" and they have taken that pretty seriously over time.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join