It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Atheism a religion of War?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

These religious follow a tenet of "eradication of evil" in the name of their "savior" and they have taken that pretty seriously over time.

Exactly right.

As Penn Jillette tells in his book, he was told not to come back to his church's "youth group" when he was a young lad. Penn was the only one who actually "read the bible" and tried to discuss it in sunday school.

His youth pastor told his parents that, "it would be better if he didn't come back to youth group''.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Atheism is a religion of war...
so they do not appear to be a religion.
Yet Atheism is indeed a religion
Atheism is a religion of the negative

So, you've categorized atheism as a religion. Okay. You win. You can call us ice cream heads for all we care.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

making fun of people in an attempt to make them appear backwards for the sake of ridicule,
using the Hebrew Bible to attack christians
Their posts make my case as they relentlessly attack Christians

When you say such things, are you saying that atheists make comments like: Each and every one of you religious freaks are yeller-bellied, cotton-mouthed, sniveling cowards!

Or, for the most part do we make comments like: There's no such thing as biblical gods. The planets are not evidence that a god created them. The part of the bible claiming all the dead saints rose from their graves during the crucifixion of Jesus is utterly ridiculous. There's no such thing as magic. There's no such thing as a permanent state of perfection. Please show us one amputee that had his lost limb miraculously restored.

See, the first paragraph is definitely an attack and wouldn't be allowed according the to T&C.
The second paragraph is a desperate request for the religious to look at the silly bill of goods they've bought into. In no way does this reflect on the person believing in such nonsense; if it did then we'd all be guilty of believing in some embarrassing falsehoods from time to time.
edit on 7/14/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Now that we've ascertained that a-theism is not a religion, can we ask: Are religious people the least sharp of the tools in the shed?"

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hushabye
Now that we've ascertained that a-theism is not a religion, can we ask: Are religious people the least sharp of the tools in the shed?"

Actually, atheism is indeed a religion.

It's just not a fully-functional one. It's dysfunctional. So it's hard to recognize for what it is, unless you know what to look for. Of course people on the inside with emotion invested in that particular label are far too blinded to see clearly and don't know what to look for.

edit on 14-7-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

How is it a religion and not a philosophy? What about it makes it a religion, specifically, and not a philosophy? I agree with Destroy: atheism is a philosophy, not a religion. Sans any kind of higher power or supernatural force, it cannot be called a religion. That is my opinion, which I am more than willing to amend if you can prove your case.

edit on 14-7-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Lots of little things, combined with a comparative analysis Joseph Campbell and Carl Jung style. Little things like this.

firstchurchofatheism.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Hmm. Interesting. Alright then, would I be correct in assuming that Westboro Baptist reflects the beliefs and practices of the entirety of Christianity?

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

Hmm. Interesting. Alright then, would I be correct in assuming that Westboro Baptist reflects the beliefs and practices of the entirety of Christianity?

There are denominations of Christianity... perhaps that's a feature of religion.

By the same token... perhaps there are denominations of atheism... which would mean that atheism has that as a 'religion' feature.

edit on 14-7-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

There are denominations of Christianity... perhaps that's a feature of religion.

By the same token... perhaps there are denominations of atheism... which would mean that atheism has that as a 'religion' feature.

No, that's a 'human' feature. We have denominations in high schools, in politics, in economics, in everything really. That's not a religious monopoly. Nice try though.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Please tell me who my god is then...because religion requires a belief in a supernatural power....

Oh wait- you're right! I believe in MYSELF!
I am super and natural~

/sarcasm
edit on 14-7-2013 by Hushabye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Hushabye

Michio Kaku on Religion, Death, and the Age of the Earth

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
This thread has/will cause a war with words.

Is Atheism a religion of war? NO!!!

People that speak and act with an intent of selfishness rather than love create wars.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

The proof is right here in the religion forum, just take a look. Their posts make my case as they relentlessly attack Christians, often for the sake of just being malicious.

I"m with you on that. This place use to be pretty even. There was a time when you could log on and find a few good threads to join. Now all you see is anti-christian stuff. It's ridiculous.

Anytime someone post an anti-christian thread it's like all of ats breaks their neck to come over and star and flag it. Some don't even post anything, they just star and flag and go. I saw one like that yesterday, it had like 7 post and over 40 flags in less than 20min.

But if you post an actual christian thread, you'll see a like 100 post with 3 flags. It's crazy. It just goes to show who the dominate force is on ats. But hey, I ant scared of lions den.

This place has basically turned into the "right on brother" YEAH "right on brother" club. It's comical.

Anyway, Is Atheism a religion of War? Of course it is. The atheist start wars every day right here on this forum,

edit on 14-7-2013 by RealTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Its not a religion of war, its a philosophy of conflict.

Its, like, two totally different things.
Semantics are the name of the game, of course!

There are great people that can come from any ideology, in my experience. The only part that bothers me is the incessant need to convert.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by RealTruthSeeker

This place has basically turned into the "right on brother" YEAH "right on brother" club. It's comical.

The hypocrisy in this sentence is staggering.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Serdgiam

There are great people that can come from any ideology, in my experience. The only part that bothers me is the incessant need to convert.

And the constant bleating that "there is only one god, only one truth! repent, before our loving and benevolent god destroys you forever!"

It would be more interesting if the salespitch weren't such a load of malarky.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

Nice video.... I like Michio Kaku.

He went from wanting proof "heaven" exists to trying to figure out "time".

What I CAN understand is how one has proof of "heaven" and another doesn't.

Each of us are living out a personal experience. One person may "die" and come back and tell a story. It's their proof of "heaven" while another does not believe because they didn't experience such. Thus, proof remains null and void within their experience.

I say... live and let live. Believe or not. YOU are FREE to BELIEVE in ANYTHING YOU WANT. I draw a line when it hurts another. Religious people tend to hurt with their words and actions more so than any other group. My opinion of course.

When you have a gathering of like minded people pushing a selfish agenda, war prevails. Call it whatever you like..... I call such a cult.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

When you have a gathering of like minded people pushing a selfish agenda, war prevails. Call it whatever you like..... I call such a cult.

The "agenda" I advocate is simple: proactive self-determinism. The less you rely on a god, the more you find yourself capable of, and willing, to accomplish. Which, in my opinion, is the first step in preparing to make this world a more knowledgeable and understanding place to be. That's my goal in sharing my atheistic perspective.

Not the abolition of religion, but the understanding of atheistic opportunity. What a person can do without a god. Should you choose to believe in a deity, that's your choice. But here, look at this! Wonders can be achieved whether a god plays a role or not! Fascinating!

Just my two bent pennies on the subject.

edit on 14-7-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by Serdgiam

And the constant bleating that "there is only one god, only one truth! repent, before our loving and benevolent god destroys you forever!"

It would be more interesting if the salespitch weren't such a load of malarky.

Yeah, that part is a bit.. confusing (to say the least). The sad part is, the people who make those claims have very rarely actually explored the topic from themselves. They seem to have the impression that a God/s, even within their limited contexts, can somehow be contained in a single religion, much less some building you go to on some random day. Great way to make money though, if people think the way to save their own ass includes giving a set percentage of any income to the industry.

Of course, you probably knew I was including atheism in the statement of "the incessant need to convert" too.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join