It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want to punt my toddler.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

When mine got wound up like that (many moons ago) what worked for me was the opposite of what you might think...

Calm whispers while picking him/her up, rhythmic rocking (or walking around) while singing softly and deeply... put 'em in a trance it did. Oh, they'd twist and turn and fight it but I'd 'shhhh' and rock and sing away. (I have a stubborn streak, lol) Eventually, they'd shudder away the noise in their soul and start to relax-- then the heavy eye-lid, deep-breathing slumber. (Sweet relief!!!)

Mine often acted like you're describing when they got overstimulated or wound-up and it was like their nerve endings were on red alert crazy. Tactile and vibration (singing low while holding them next to me) calmed the savage beast.

I know I am talking like 'parent of the year' but believe me it took every ounce of will I could muster to set aside my ticking-time-bomb-frustration to show calmness during their storm... showing them how to calm themselves.

Good luck! If it's any consolation, mine are off at college and I'd give anything to have my babies back for just one day... even in temper tantrum mode.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I remember those days. I used to joke about taking out classifieds

"For sale: One hyperactive yet adorable toddler....."

Now my kids are preteen/teen and I joke about wrapping them in shrink wrap and putting bricks on their heads.

Cherish every moment, even the ones when they are driving you nuts, you can never get this time back.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

"For sale: One hyperactive yet adorable toddler....."

LoL... I used to say to friends --who didn't have kids and mostly saw mine as 'sugar and spice & everything nice' --"Have I told you about my Rent-a-Kid Program?!"

edit on 7/11/2013 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

From one dad to another, just hold and love them.

Save the punting when they turn 14.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

From one dad to another, just hold and love them.

Save the punting when they turn 14.

Trust me, we all love her. It took the whole family to get her to sleep. First mom tried, then her older sister, then her oldest sister, then me, then back to mom, then finally her older sister.

Needless to say we all breathed a sigh of relief when she finally succumbed to sleep. Louis C.K is bang on when he compares toddlers to "some guy in the next room with a gun".

edit on 12-7-2013 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   

I have 2 sons. One is 21 and he is coming to the realization that everything thing I did was for him.

The other son is 10. He still loves me unconditionally.

Age aside, they are beautiful, aren't they.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

I have 2 sons. One is 21 and he is coming to the realization that everything thing I did was for him.

The other son is 10. He still loves me unconditionally.

Age aside, they are beautiful, aren't they.

LOL! I remember when I came to that conclusion with my own Dad. Prior to that he was the devil as far as I was concerned. But I think I was about 23 where I bought him a beer at the pub and said: "I'm sorry I was such a jerk!"

And yes, I love the way children change your perspective on life. All you can do on the rough days is find the comedy/joy in it all

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   

I have been there before
Now he is 8!! AHHHHHH!!! It gets worse
hehehe... sometimes. Punting seems like a good idea..I bet my little guy would fly
hehehehe...jk. All fun in games.

Oh are you my brother?? I am sometimes known as nat the vader cat

~nat

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
You should take parenting classes, I'm serious. From your thread, I take it you are a young parent. I use to feel extremely frustrated when I had kids (young) and now that I'm a young grandparent, I totally know (experience) how to handle my grandkids. I have a 5 year old (who obviously was 2 and 3). Give h/she a warm bath and read a story or tell a story to h/she. Your baby child will fall asleep. You are the parent, not them, so why allow h/she to terrorize?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Better in my day as a kid, me Gran used to top my gripe water up with whiskey
that sent me to sleep sharpish

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by curiouswa
You should take parenting classes, I'm serious. From your thread, I take it you are a young parent. I use to feel extremely frustrated when I had kids (young) and now that I'm a young grandparent, I totally know (experience) how to handle my grandkids. I have a 5 year old (who obviously was 2 and 3). Give h/she a warm bath and read a story or tell a story to h/she. Your baby child will fall asleep. You are the parent, not them, so why allow h/she to terrorize?

You should take internet classes. I'm serious. When I was a young internet user, I used to feel extremely confused at my inability to discern humor, sarcasm, and general levity. Now that I'm an experienced internet user, I can wag my finger at everyone else and offer them tips as to how to navigate the great series of tubes that is the interwebs.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Hang in there man....

All parents have been where you are at some point. And now, one of my favorite sayings I heard as a young mother:

As parents, we look so forward to our children learning how to walk and talk. Once they do......all we want them to do is sit down and shut the hell up.

I'm currently in the sit down and shut up stage.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
you know what i do when mine doesn't get a nap...I take him swimming or to a park to run around. BTT you get home she'll be unresponsive and just put her in her bed and worry about a bath tomorrow...or read like a stack of books or watch a movie...or follow her around and act like you have know idea what's up...they start looking at you like...u for serious

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
LOLOLO.....this thread cracks me up ! There is great wisdom in the phrase "Labor of Love"......oh the "fun" never ends either. Terrible 2's hah, I say 3 yr olds take it to a whole other level.......I won't even get into the teenage years other then to say sleepless nights come with the territory.....

If it helps, 5 to 12 are great years, so you get a little break before all Hell breaks loose ! God made babies and toddlers extremely cute for a reason, tricky bastard that he can be.......

One little trick I remember was what I call the "Mommy mind meld" if you gently rub right between their little eyes...it causes a reflex action to shut their eyes and relax....Good Luck Daddy !

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
where i am from punt means sell i thought ats was turning into craigslist for a moment

and remember children are a blessing they say
well i got the snip at 21 never going to have that problem

i have such a peacefull life
do not miss the little blighters

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

I've got three. I feel ya!

When I saw the title to your thread I laughed out loud. Thanks for the smile!

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

Agreed. Two ain't got nothing on three!

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

OH yes. Toddlers are like little Dictators that have been on a coke binge.

You can either watch tons of Super Nanny to get some tips.

Or you can pull out the yardstick and swish it around in the air a few times and slam it on a table or something to properly terrorize your kid.
Usually their behavior improves instantly.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

I have three toddlers... I know exactly what you are talking about. Here is the cycle I go through EVERY SINGLE NIGHT.... I get home from work excited to see them because I missed them all day... an hour later I am frustrated and yelling.... I can't wait to get them to bed.... I feel guilty for feeling like that... rinse repeat.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

suck it up... there is no whining in parenthood.

you should have thought of that before slipping her the old pringles ccan

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join