It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please give your advice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I am going to admit something to you guys, this is kinda sad. For the past 4 - 5 months I have been sleeping on the sofa in the living room. This has been the most uncomfortable time of my life as I have not been getting any real sleep since I have quit sleeping in my nice warm bed.

Why have I stopped sleeping in my own bed? Because I am a grown man (20 years old) and I am terrified of having another episode of sleep paralysis. I know it's sad that someone my age would have such a fear, but I just can't handle going through this again. For some reason I feel safe when I sleep in the living room on my sofa because the past time i've had sleep paralysis it has been in my bed.

I can't deal with the emotions of having sleep paralysis again... seriously, it's killing me and It's something that I can't talk to my family about because they have never experienced this and they probably wouldn't believe me if I told them what I seen and heard.

Do you think I am safe to sleep in my room again? I haven't had sleep paralysis in 4 or 5 months, but i'm scared thats just because I've been sleeping in the living room.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I know some of you will probably reply and say that I shouldn't be afraid of sleep paralysis because it's all in my mind, well that may be true, but it all seems so real no matter how much I tell myself it was not real.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
i believe u homes. u sleep where u feel safe. if bad stuff happens in ur bed dont sleep there. our minds subconsciously try to protect us from things we cannot necessarily see or hear or touch. try reading

www.concienciaradio.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Auburn2012

Valerian root helped me with my S.P. and of course i can't mention something else that really helps because of Terms & Conditions of posting. What i find interesting is that you don't experience S.P. while sleeping on the couch...for me it didn't matter where i slept or how much caffeine i did or didn't consume.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Is it possible that sleeping on the couch changes the position you sleep in? I tend to have lucid dreams and S.P. when I sleep on my back. Just a thought.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Have you tried sleeping in your bed, but in a sleeping bag? I'm wondering if the size of your bed or the openness might be the issue? Are you recently out of a relationship and no longer have a body with you in bed?

I do not need the answers to these questions. I'm more searching for a root cause, which may not exist outside of what you already told us.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I wish I could give you some advice. I've fought with something like this for years. It used to only happen if I fell asleep on my back so I constantly made sure that I was curled up on my side to fall asleep. Then I had a horrible dream where my mom (who was recently deceased) crawled out from under my bed, curled up beside me and told me that hell is real and the demons followed her. I tried screaming, kicking my husband so that he would wake up and wake ME up...I honestly thought that I was flailing around in bed throwing an absolute fit. I thought I could see how he was laying in the bed and how far open the bathroom door was. I believed that I woke up a few times but they were false wakings. I finally did wake up, door was closed, hubby was in a completely different position and not at all disturbed.

I hate the darn things but still haven't heard any good advice for avoiding it.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
What are they that can show the room we are in so exactly but with either slight changes or real terror visiting us. Why would the body which is meant to protect us by stopping movement when we sleep devise such a terrible trick? I sometimes think there is more to it than the doctors suggest.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Try whatever you can to get back into healthy sleep. Try sleeping on the floor in the bedroom, sleeping with a nightlight, music, electric fan. Do some details like orgone in the area, salt in the corners of the room, using natural fibers in your sheets and pjs. Rearrange the furniture by feng shui or vaastu, eliminate the coiled mattress, try an air mattress, try body pillows. Try a teddy bear, it might work. Remove the pictures from the room, basically sterilizing the subliminal influences. Initiate prayer or spiritual cleaning rituals before bed, tell someone to help you figure out the complexity of the room.

You're afraid of fear itself. Like last night, I had a sleep paralysis. It was a psychic vampire feeding off my energy, like one of those dementors in Harry Potter. I know who it is and he's in jail in another state but you see how the trespassing can happen. It was human+demon related; creepy monsters are creepy but why are you safe on the couch and not the bed? Recognize your spiritual rights to your life and your space. Make sure your home is curse alleviated, like pay your bills, clean your room, have locks in doors, bathe and wear clean clothes in bed, reduce decorations. No Chinese food before bedtime.

Do whatever it takes to get back in bed.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Cirene

Just wanted to wish you luck and encourage you that I believe if you have enough faith in yourself you can do anything. Since you was brave enough to confess potentially damaging self-disclosure, I will also add I share some of your concerns. Although I am much, much older than you, I am not ashamed to say I have bouts of severe deep clinical depression and I can directly correlate certain medicines to my own episodes of SP and EXTREMELY lucid dreams. For me, knowledge is power (in addition to my strong faith in God). I study and research, then research and study some more. I have even been declared incapacitated due to the severity of my depression, but in no way delusional or insane. This means that I can relate and not accuse you of not being well.

One thought however: take time to study your habits through the day to see if there are any possible contributing factors to your situation such as the meds I take. One more less than admirable situation I have is that my wife has sometimes forfeited her own nights sleep just to be alert enough to wake me if she sees me showing signs of distress. Narrowing it down to cause and effect has made a great difference for me, and I can assure you my wife appreciates it almost as much as I do.

Again, best wishes. I have no doubt whatsoever with your willingness to seek answers that you will find them.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   

I personally have only had 3 SP episodes in my life I am 50 yrs old and the episodes I had all occurred in my early 20's. Yes they were very scary and strange for me as well. 2 of them happened in my bed with the lights off and 1 occurred in the livingroom on the couch with the lights on...So IMO location was not the common denominator. They did all occur when I was sleep deprived...ya know how when your young you tend to burn the candle at both ends...But then again I have been fatigued periodically my entire life so I want to say maybe its an age thing...how many have you had? When they happened were you lacking sleep? and can you elaborate on what exactly happens, what you feel or what you see?

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I've read that a good hypnotherapist can help with some of these kinds of issues. I've never experienced sleep paralysis. In fact, my issue was waking up in the middle of acting out night terror scenarios, with a broken nose, serious head lacerations, and scaring the hell out of room mates (in the military) and girlfriends and spouses, over decades of this sort of thing. I've gotten pretty casual about it all, I suppose, but I'm sure that it's a condition that most people would find to be frightening in its potential for tragedy. If it worried me, then I'd look into hypnotherapy to see if it's something that could place a speed bump in the road for when an episode shows back up again. Like waking me up as soon as one of these bitches launches again, or some other progression diverting post-hypnotic suggestion.

It's something that your brain is doing to you. Reprogram around it to trip it up if you can. It's just your brain, and there's nothing mysterious about your brain. Well, unless you decide that it's all mysterious and supernatural, but then, if so, then you're setting yourself up for misery that's unnecessary.
edit on 7/11/2013 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I have read that SP is your minds way of keeping you from injuring yourself while dreaming. When you are asleep it shuts off your motor functions so that you don't run, jump, punch or physically act out your dreams. Further if you are waking up, it is your mind that has awakened before you body has actually become engaged. At times I will get this as well, I find that if I focus on moving one part of my body and keep at it, the movement will finally become exagerated enough to pull me out of the SP and I will fully awaken.
edit on 11-7-2013 by QuietSpeech because: S&F so hopefully you can get helpful advice

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Auburn - Personally I can't comment on the whole sleep paralysis thing because I have never once experienced it in all my 48 years. I did have a dream once that was so realistic (to the point of even "going to bed" in my dream and waking up for real in the same bed!)...but that's not really SP. I just think it's somewhat similar and it took me a long time to accept that it was a dream I had and did not actually happen.

Anyhoo - to the point...I think that you should sleep wherever you are comfortable and not give one crap about what anyone thinks about it. If sleeping on the couch gives you better rest, then do it. If you and only you feel the need to try the bed again, then do so. As with everything in life - if it feels good to you and does not affect anyone else negatively, do it.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Never had S.P. You spoke of things you had seen? What kind of things?

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Dear Auburn - you have nothing to be embarrassed about. I haven't read any responses yet because your fear just broke my heart. I've been there, I understand. I too have suffered from sleep paralysis. This is coming from a Christian viewpoint. Tonight when you go to bed pray to God that He send one of his angels to stand over you and to protect you and your dreams from any evil and spiritual attacks. Call on the name of Jesus. In fact just saying the name of Jesus is power enough to make any evil flee. You are being attacked by demonic forces. I don't say that to make you afraid but to empower you. I am dead serious. Until one has experienced sleep paralysis no one else can laugh or ridicule another. Jesus has defeated the devil and all his demons. We are in a spiritual warfare and it is happening all around us.

I will pray for you tonight. You are going to have a great night's sleep tonight. Hugs.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I've only had 1 episode of sleep paralysis but I do believe if it ever happens again to me that I will endure the pain and force my body to move through sheer will.

The only way I can explain the sensation is having a vice grip applied to the twins downtown, an intelligent vicegrip that knows the correct angle and pressure to prevent you from moving.....

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Its nothing to be afraid of really, just depending on how you react to it, just relax and close
your eyes, some people are prone to hallucinations depending on how their minds are. Let the
sensations disappear on their own, this just means you are aware, just relax and wait
til it takes you to dream land, if you still retain awareness, you dreams real be extremely
realistic.

Most times to avoid SP is to sleep side ways or on stomach, Sleeping on back is
where it occurs most commonly. I think SP is fun, fun when you pop out of your
body and roam around, its just another form of dreaming sleep para. Its not
a illness or paranormal, its easy to achieve once you get the hang of it. Its just
a natural body function that we are unaware of.
You might be keeping your mind awake by stress/worrying or something, to keep
you aware when you are sleeping thats when sleep para occurs.

To people who feel a sort of pain, its nothing serious, its not real. Just need to relax
through it and breath slowly.

Its a good experience to learn from.

Sleep para only occurs so you just act out your dreams, I remember they tested this on
animals, where a cat would act out its dream without sleep para, its funny and cute lol.
edit on 12-7-2013 by aerial because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Because I am a grown man (20 years old)

You are not a man yet....you will know when the time come's
edit on 12-7-2013 by SarnholeOntarable because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SarnholeOntarable
You are not a man yet....you will know when the time come's

He/She is man enough to admit that he/she is a fraidy cat!

Darryl Forests
Never sleeps - OK every once and a while. lol

top topics

join