It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US forces EU to accept GM foods and crops

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Negotiations started yesterday of EU-US free trade agreement (Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP)). The plan is to make worlds largest free trade area, one of the most important issues is what kind of agreement EU and US will make concerning GMO foods and crops. EU has always been against GMO food due the lack of proof those are safe to consume. Professor Gilles-Eric Seralini testified in European Parliament last May about his 2-years toxicological study on rats which consumed their whole life cycle only GMO corn and in CRIIGEN´s (Committee for Research and Independent Information on Genetic Engineering) 300 scientist agrees with Seralini that GMO is harmful to us and the nature. Even that proof has been relieved, there are about 40 scientists/groups who disagree with Seralini´s study and blaims GMO to be safe and these scientists seems to have more influence on European Parliament than those 300 with Seralini.

What is happening is that US is forcing EU to dismiss REACH enactment ( Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of CHemicals ) as so direct and informational labelling is not mandatory or even used in US, for US to accept transatlantic trade agreement REACH is an obstruction for US products and companies to sell freely . When REACH is dismissed or restrictions are reduced as Ron Kirk requires, there is a loophole to GMO food and crops to enter in European markets. If this Transatlantic agreement goes as US wants it to go (meaning without REACH or reduced REACH and mandatory labelling of GMO food), it is estimated that GMO foods will enter in european markets in full force within 4 to 5 years.

2013 technical barriers to trade pdf ( page 61 )

EU has stopped GMO food and products to enter here for 12 years and this agreement seems to be so important to EU that agreeing with US with GMO seems to happen more likely than disagreeing. When big corporations enter here with Monsanto roundups and GMO crops it means local food will be even harder to find and smallholders who produce GMO free grains will end up in bankruptcy. Not to forgetting what GMO has done in South American countries with the help of Monsanto´s poisons, people are getting very serious health problems.. This is a sad world and we should worry what our kids have to deal in future when they will be exposed to these toxins for years.. and all for greed !

edit on 10-7-2013 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

Well if Europeans didn't hate us Americans before, they sure as hell will now. I know I hate us.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kody27

Well if Europeans didn't hate us Americans before, they sure as hell will now. I know I hate us.

Kody,

It is not the American people that some Europeans "hate" as you put it, but the people who are running your country and trying to force us Europeans to live the way "they" want us to live.

And a massive big star and flag to Dollukka; thank you for this information.

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 10-7-2013 by Rodinus because: Word added

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rodinus

Originally posted by Kody27

Kody,

It is not the American people that some Europeans "hate" as you put it, but the people who are running your country and trying to force us Europeans to live the way "they" want us to live.

And a massive big star and flag to Dollukka; thank you for this information.

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 10-7-2013 by Rodinus because: Word added

Well you're right, maybe if the Europeans knew a little more about the actual population here, then they would hate us. I live here and I know Americans intimately, and I can tell you, they would hate us. And they do. Europeans aren't as dumb as they look, they know Americans are snotty little selfish lazy fat racist hypocrites, just like everyone else knows it.
edit on 10-7-2013 by Kody27 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
they may force europe to import their chem laden .. genetically modded poison ..

the people in europe should boycott and not buy any american food products .. plenty of other sources for non - tampered with food ..

hit them where it hurts - in the pocket book ...

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Please forgive me, I think I may be trolling, but I'm not sure.

First, the Seralini study. From what I learned a few months ago, it appears there is good reason to reject it. There may be other, better studies that could be used. At that time, he refused to share his data which is almost a requirement for a serious study. Further, his methods were criticized as inconsistent and vague. Unless there's new information available I will tend to discount anything with his name on it.

Second, the question of forcing. Is it the US that is doing the forcing? It sounded like the EU wanted to force new packaging and labelling regulations on US products under the REACH guidelines, and the US is saying "No way, Francois." (All right, it loses something in the translation.)

Also, the US seems to be saying, "If you don't want our food, which you seem to think is poisonous anyway, we won't send it." Is that really forcing?

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Charles, I don't think you're trolling but Kody on the other hand, seems to be de-railing a bit...

The U.S. is pushing the GMO exports, EU doesn't want them - however - the "free trade agreement" has such far reaching economic impact for both the US & the EU that I am certain the "global capitalists" are going to ensure that Monsanto's GMO products end up in the bellies of the entire world's population. In a few decades we'll see whether or not this "food" is safe, of course by then we'll be stuck with the results.

I must agree with your assessment of this particular research, and would counter that research grants paid for by the big GMO producers are just as much suspect in terms of "authenticity" and "unbiased sampling". I spent a large part of my statistics career working both angles (biased & unbiased) and usually find flaws in the data analysis of just about any study. "Causality" is typically the key issue of contention.

ganjoa

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

Dear ganjoa,

Thank you for your kindness, much appreciated.

I'm out of my depths in the field of international trade negotiations, but an idea comes to mind and I'd welcome your opinion.

I understand that this is a huge negotiation with billions at stake, if not trillions. What would happen if both sides said, "Ok, we don't see a way around this food issue. Let's just pass the agreement without it, and keep working on the GMO issue and hope to resolve it later, but soon?"

Or is GMO so crucial that nothing can be done until that is resolved?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

Or is GMO so crucial that nothing can be done until that is resolved?

With respect,
Charles1952

It seems to be, this trade agreement has been on the table and in consideration 1990, 2007 and now 2013. The major differences has been with GM foods.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I refuse to eat any USA food stuffs I always check.
The milk you drink is banned over here and in Canada because of the bovine growth hormone stuff you put in the cows.
As long as we label where the food has come from I know many will not eat it.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Dear dollukka,

Forgive me for raanting, but a quarter of a century??? What in the name of everything is going on?? Do the negotiators see this as a lifetime career of just saying "no?" Do they lose their pay if they reach agreement? Can't we come up with an agreement covering building materials, petroleum products, and Honey Boo-boo videos?

There has to be some trade deal we can come up with that doesn't involve food. Neither side is starving. What's the big deal??

I'm upset. I don't understand this. But, thanks for bringing it up, I needed to boost my blood pressure.

With respect,
Charles1952

edit on 10-7-2013 by charles1952 because: Bracket error

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

There has to be some trade deal we can come up with that doesn't involve food. Neither side is starving. What's the big deal??

Well Charles, the way i see it is fairly simple... in nearly every single food item that we (or should i say in the USA) consume there is a major pesticide/chemical company behind it... I wont say the name but i think most people know who i am talking about?

I am sure that certain company would like to get a good grip on the EU after all these years of us saying no to GMO derived products?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I am betting that with this happening, there is a LOT of graft and people set to make a ton of cash in stocks, perhaps futures, all kinds of ways, lots of insider politicians from all over the globe that are "In" will make out like bandits, while the bad things about this will hurt a lot of regular people, like billions even...

If all the corruption was suddenly open for inspection related to this agreement, I bet some familiar names from here and there would be exposed and that type of thing... If only a wish like that could just happen..~

If gm. stuff is even half as bad as scientists say, it will be a global environmental disaster...
edit on 10-7-2013 by alienreality because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
In Europe labelling is important as it gives a freedom of choice to the people and farmers. Its also a matter of transparency so we know what we eat, where food we consume is produced. Traceability every incredients has to be able to trace where it has been made and what has been used. Its about safety.

US dont want this labelling as it will expose all the GMO products and incredients and that would be a loss of money for big corporations who make these foods.

Monsanto wants a global monopoly with their GM seeds and pesticides, there are a lot stories available what kind of agreements farmers make with Monsanto when using their seeds. When they give a little finger to this devil it will take the whole hand.

There is a lot of evidence in front of our eyes if we choose to see it that GM is not good for us. Not only Argentina and other latin countries are suffering of Congenital Malformations in children cos of pesticides there are other countries also who uses Monsanto´s products suffering the same and in large scale like India.

If REACH is dismissed or reduced for US liking we cannot trace what we eat or no one can guarantee its safe ! We have directives in EU which were made for public safety concerning food and food production. So far the agreement of transatlantic free trade has been a failure as EU have not accepted GM or lack of labelling and US seem not to go with REACH at all. So someone has to bend...

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Charles1952,

The masters of our puppet negotiators have little interest in logical discourse or setting aside items of contention to resolve with comprehension and compromise. Unfortunately, lead negotiator Ron Kirk hails from Dallas, where we were very pleased to be rid of him in the local scene. Our State Department has been pushing this agenda of propagating GMO foods throughout the planet, regardless of "local" objection. While reasonable individuals, such as yourself can easily discern a path around the problem, this realization is beyond the scope of our trade negotiatior's intellectual capabilities (evidently).

ganjoa

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Now here is an interesting idea:

there had been a concerted effort to reorient the basis of the US dollar as the world reserve currency from petroleum, to food, and patentable GMO seeds

This was suggested by former Assistant Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Catherine Austin Fitts according to Dr. Joseph P. Farrell.

gizadeathstar.com...

edit on 11-7-2013 by MindBodySpiritComplex because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-7-2013 by MindBodySpiritComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   
The last time someone here in Belgium protested the use and testing of GMO it got pretty ugly. A professor from a university got fired and allot of people where forceful arrested.

Besides, there has been GMO food in europe for years. And Monsanto has been around here for yours. We Europeans eat kellocks, knorr... We us roundup.

All hail Monsanto.

Makes me wanna puke.

Edit: Just to add to OP: There was a time that Europeans didn't get along to well with Americans, but that long been gone though ( from my experience ) We are all on the same boat, or government doesn't represent our people, nor your's. We blame the system, not the people haha.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   
That old saying "better be safe than sorry" should be used here, in British courts of law, 'beyond reasonable doubt' is used when trying cases, perhaps both sayings should appertain to GMO foods?

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by pikestaff
That old saying "better be safe than sorry" should be used here, in British courts of law, 'beyond reasonable doubt' is used when trying cases, perhaps both sayings should appertain to GMO foods?

I reckon that we should all got dressed up in medieval costumes and charge the EU buildings in Brussels crying out "Bugger em all" with our rubber headed Pikestaffs then this might change something... huh?

Oh, don't mind me folks... just had a daft thought that happens from time to time when i listen to the news on the TV for too long!

I used to be part of a group of people many yonks ago that used to get dressed up in medival costumes and have rubber headed pikestaffs and swords and attack each other... but now my poor back is buggered!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
This sounds like Monsanto has found a loophole, with this soon to be new agreement. When all else fails utilize the small print!

One country actively fighting GMO food crops, is India. They have protested and done studies on GMO foods and Monsanto products.
I personally would not buy GMO groceries, and I don't know anyone in my vicinity that would. One reason probably why Monsanto has avidly put up a fight against labeling their products- (are food).

<<   2 >>

join