Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Pharaohs Sphinx Paws found in Israel

page: 1
14

log in

join

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   



Archaeologists digging in Israel say they have made an unexpected find: the feet of an Egyptian sphinx linked to a pyramid-building pharaoh. The fragment of the statue's front legs was found in Hazor, a UNESCO World Heritage Site just north of the Sea of Galilee. Between the paws is a hieroglyphic inscription with the name of king Menkaure, sometimes called Mycerinus, who ruled Egypt during the Old Kingdom more than 4,000 years ago and built one of the great Giza pyramids.

news.yahoo.com...

But why do they think it had to be related to the Hyksos era,for even before there was an Israel proper old Kingdom rulers like Pepi II made extensive military expeditions in the Levant and certainly there were diplomatic and trade relations with folks in the area during Menkaure's time.
edit on 9-7-2013 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)




posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I am a bit surprised to see they are human hands.......I guess I was expecting lion paws.


Interesting find. Thanks.



posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doodle19815
I am a bit surprised to see they are human hands.......I guess I was expecting lion paws.


Interesting find. Thanks.


Human hands with 4 digits?

Personally i don't think so Doodle, especially looking at the spacing between the paws which are reminiscent to what you would normally observe in an animal such as cat/dog or sphinx.

Unless of course this was a 4 fingered person that was down on all fours??

I think that the archaeologists have enough reasonable scientific knowledge to understand that these feet belong to a Sphinx?

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 10-7-2013 by Rodinus because: Phrase added



posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus
 


Actually there are four fingers and a thumb. the angles are hard to see all on either hand but they are there.


BTW, Shadowman rules!
edit on 10-7-2013 by Sakrateri because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sakrateri
reply to post by Rodinus
 


Actually there are four fingers and a thumb. the angles are hard to see all on either hand but they are there.


BTW, Shadowman rules!
edit on 10-7-2013 by Sakrateri because: (no reason given)


I need to change my glasses i guess?


Just looked at the great Sphinx of Egypt.. me is wrong... (5 digits).

Kindest respects

Rodinus



posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Not to mention human fingernails as opposed to cat nails. Also, notice how the thumb Is placed raised unlike a cats.

I have never seen a sphinx "paw" before, now I guess I know they are human.
edit on 10-7-2013 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doodle19815
Not to mention human fingernails as opposed to cat nails. Also, notice how the thumb Is placed raised unlike a cats.

I have never seen a sphinx "paw" before, now I guess I know they are human.
edit on 10-7-2013 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)


Well, here is a picture for you of the Great Sphinx in Egypt (notice the resemblance)



The Sphinx faces due east, with a small temple between its paws.

Link here : www.crystalinks.com...

Note how Sphinx has thumbs too (they certainly look like hands but everyone calls them paws)

As for nails, don't forget that these monuments are extremely old and that if there was once a possibility of those paws/hands having claws, they have long eroded away or broken and polished with wear and tear.

But i do see what you mean

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 10-7-2013 by Rodinus because: Word added
edit on 10-7-2013 by Rodinus because: Fixed picture
edit on 10-7-2013 by Rodinus because: Link added



posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
It's great discovery, but i do not get why they are so sure that it is Sphinx paws. It is a paws,fragment of statue of Egyptian origin, clearly.
But sphinx is basically lion lower body with Human head. Paws on Egyptian statues of lions and paws on Egyptian statues of sphinxes look the same, as far as i know - because they are both lion-like.
Example:
www.flickriver.com...
So why they are so sure it is sphinx?



posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
It's great discovery, but i do not get why they are so sure that it is Sphinx paws. It is a paws,fragment of statue of Egyptian origin, clearly.
But sphinx is basically lion lower body with Human head. Paws on Egyptian statues of lions and paws on Egyptian statues of sphinxes look the same, as far as i know - because they are both lion-like.
Example:
www.flickriver.com...
So why they are so sure it is sphinx?


Don't know if they found other parts they haven't clued us in this article but you are right the paws do look similar..or maybe the Pharaohs were typically depicted as a sphinx rather than a straight lion??? after all the lion was titled by the name Menkaure,.



posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Talk about things showing up in the oddest of places....



posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Have feet, will travel!!

Sorry, been so long since I have used that saying, couldn't resist it.


Interesting find. S&F


I wonder what other Egyptian artifacts are yet to be discovered in that region.

Also, I'm not sure how there is a Sphinx connection. Just because they are somewhat but not really similar.

How do they conclude it is Sphinx and not some other creature? The article just says they found a fragment of the statue. Maybe I'm wrong.

edit on 7/10/2013 by mcx1942 because: addition to post



posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge
 


Thank you for that link! I see the similarity in nails with that link. Cool.


Now, if only I could see one in person some day.



posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spider879


Between the paws is a hieroglyphic inscription with the name of king Menkaure, sometimes called Mycerinus, who ruled Egypt during the Old Kingdom more than 4,000 years ago and built one of the great Giza pyramids.






I don't know why every time I read about who build the great pyramids at Giza, I like to use the word: Allegedly.

edit on 10-7-2013 by Telos because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Did they find them in a PAWn shop?



posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions



posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Wasn't menkaure the pharaoh who had himself depicted as a sphinx in many objects during his rule.
I know that on of the pharaohs in that ers had a penchant for the sphinx motif.



posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks10
Wasn't menkaure the pharaoh who had himself depicted as a sphinx in many objects during his rule.
I know that on of the pharaohs in that ers had a penchant for the sphinx motif.

I had not came across Menkaure as a Sphinx but the family is connected to the great sphinx whether it was built during their reign or not.



posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Did they find them in a PAWn shop?

Naw, at your Pa(w)'s house..
edit on 10-7-2013 by Ear-Responsible because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
some 'paws' for thought?

SRI LANKA (LION'S ROCK)








some say that last one resembles a 'reptile head' ..can you see it?



posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus
 


I see 4 fingers and a thumb





new topics

top topics



 
14

log in

join



atslive.com

hi-def

low-def