It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new 10 commandments

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Why do we need new ones? So is it like okay to murder, steal and stuff now?

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
Why do we need new ones? So is it like okay to murder, steal and stuff now?

More like:

Thou shall not kill unlawfully, unless commanded to do so by your government or your God.

And

Thou shall toil and slave to earn money to pay for the land you live on, who's ownership was originally claimed by someone who never paid for it. Thou shall not take an apple from a tree without paying the person who claims ownership to the land that the tree lives on.

The rest of the commandments are useless in today's society.

reply to post by AthlonSavage

OP, Why not adopt the 10 Commandments of Solon?

Ten Commandments of Solon (Diogenes Laertius, Lives of Eminent Philosophers, 1.60):

1. Trust good character more than promises.
2. Do not speak falsely.
3. Do good things.
4. Do not be hasty in making friends, but do not abandon them once made.
5. Learn to obey before you command.
6. When giving advice, do not recommend what is most pleasing, but what is most useful.
7. Make reason your supreme commander.
8. Do not associate with people who do bad things. 9. Honor the gods.
10. Have regard for your parents.
www.infidels.org...

edit on 7-7-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Commandment one says to NOT impose one's opinions on another, then the rest is the commandments are instructions on how to live.

The only law I would make would be:

"Do not force your will upon another. "

That one statement alone prohibits murder, abuse, theft, etc. (all of the basic stuff needed to keep society going).

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

I've never met an adult who claimed they "were an actual child" but i've met many and am one of those shameful people who take enjoyment in the little things.....smell of flowers, hulu hoops, ice cream cones, you know fun things that kids also might enjoy.

You feel no compassion for people who enjoy life? Jeez....your life must suck. How misserable does one have to be to feel such things for others or should I say nothing for others?

The point of the ten commandments was to point out the most reprehensible acts....and advise humans to steer clear of them so as not to tarnish their souls. Are you trying to say that an adult who plays a game of hopscotch is as dishonorable a human being as a murderer?

edit on 7-7-2013 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

I don't know what you're going on about. The OP implies we need new commandments, so that begs the question that apparently the original 10 are useless. That implies murder is okay and we can steal now correct?

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Is the purpose of the 10 Commandments to enumerate all the things that we're not suppose to do, but know it? Or, should they be a guide to live by?

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Well, some are commands not to do something and some are commands to do something.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Greetings, AthlonSavage,

It appears that there's already a revised 10 Commandments already published. hussein obama's re-written 10 Commands are posted to many web sites,

The Ten Commandments According to Obama.

I. Thou shalt have no God in America, except for me.
I am the chosen One. (And like God, I do not have a birth certificate.)

II. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image,
unless it is my face carved on Mt. Rushmore.

III. Thou shalt not utter my middle name in vain (or in public). Only I can say Barack Hussein Obama.

IV. Remember tax day, April 15th, to keep it holy.

V. Honour thy father and thy mother until they are too old and sick to care for. They will cost our public-funded health-care system too much money.

VI. Thou shalt not kill, unless you have an unwanted, unborn baby. For it would be an abomination to punish your daughter with a baby.

VII. Thou shalt not commit adultery if you are conservative or a Republican. Liberals and Democrats are hereby forgiven for all of their infidelity and immorality, but the careers of conservatives will be forever destroyed.

VIII. Thou shalt not steal, until you've been elected to public office. Only then is it acceptable to take money from hard-working, successful citizens and give it to those who do not work, illegal immigrants, or those who do not have the motivation to better their own lives.

IX. Thou shalt not discriminate against thy neighbor unless they are conservative,Caucasian, or Christian.

X. Thou shalt not covet because it is simply unnecessary. I will place such a heavy tax burden on those that have achieved the American Dream that, by the end of my term as President, nobody will have any wealth or material goods left for you to covet.

Source

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by brandiwine14

You feel no compassion for people who enjoy life? Jeez....your life must suck. How misserable does one have to be to feel such things for others or should I say nothing for others?

I think you have failed to understand the context of the meaning in child.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

"Do not force your will upon another. "

If you write a thread selfishly presently your views this is a form of forcing onto others! Hypocrisy is everywhere.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

If you write a thread selfishly presently your views this is a form of forcing onto others! Hypocrisy is everywhere.

Yes it is isn't it. Although i personally did not feel "forced" by your thread.
Anyway here is my contribution to the commandments. Actually i cant think of anything worth reinforcing. People would rather watch the idiot box and get the commands from that.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TheomExperience

Yes it is isn't it. Although i personally did not feel "forced" by your thread.
Anyway here is my contribution to the commandments. Actually i cant think of anything worth reinforcing. People would rather watch the idiot box and get the commands from that.

Amen Brother

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   

The New Ten Commandments
What the heck, might as well follow the old format.

I have noticed that I am a human living among humans, therefore as far as is practical;

1) I shall not consider the pantheons of others to be superior to my own.

2) I probably won't bow down to art, it would seem strange to start doing something that I've never done before. Art is to be appreciated. Sometimes I will appreciate some works of art and sometimes not so much, depending on mood and circumstances.

3) I'll try to use the names in such a way as to not confuse people about which gods I'm talking about.

4) I'll be productive when I'm feeling most energetic, like early morning, and take breaks as much as necessary.

5) I'll try not to disgrace my family. I realize though that some expectations are just so limiting that I just might disappoint someone. It's really up to them to realize the difference between me disgracing and them being disappointed. They aren't synonymous you know.

6) I won't do murder and neither will I condone it, even when it is considered legal by some supposed authority.

7) I will honor contracts and agreements that I have entered into with people, and I will not encourage people to disregard contracts that they have made with others.

8) I won't steal except when it's really necessary. I mean really necessary, not just convenient.

9) I will try to be as truthful about other people as possible, especially when life, property, or well being are at stake.

10) When I find myself coveting, I will try to evaluate whether I'm obsessing. Some obsessions should be minimized.

Signature here

I'm not going to sign this thing, because once I sign it, it just wouldn't be proper to change it, and I will change it as much as I want to. It's not like it's written in stone.

edit on 9-7-2013 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
reply to post by arpgme

Unless you are harming the person up for not accepting your view, no one is being "forced" to believe anything. It is just words, you can agree or disagree. You can even argue about it on the thread.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

It is because by shunning someone who acts childish you are kind of forcing your opinion on them? That's what I get - but I think you are right about one thing, times have completely changed and I think people are looking for some kind of moral common ground, or at least stable ground.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join