It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outrage Over Feral Kitten Shootings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   

NORTH RIDGEVILLE, Ohio– Police are defending the shooting of feral kittens outside of a residence on Vista Lake Way.

In a press release, North Ridgeville Police Chief Mike Freeman said a resident contacted them Monday on the department’s Facebook page, saying a family of cats made a home in their wood pile. The resident asked if a humane officer could pick up the cats.

The chief said humane officer, Barry Accorti, arrived on the scene and was shown the wood pile where the feral cats were located. The wood piles were about ten feet from the home.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

fox8.com...

Wow, just wow.

You have to wonder about the mentality of people.

Here we are, a law enforcement officer discharging his firearm within feet of a residence. With children inside. Killing the kittens.

Now, I'm not overly upset about the killing of the cats, as after all, they were probably right about the shelter being full and they not being able to euthanize the kittens there. And feral cats are a nuisance problem. I am upset about the callousness of the officer, and the reckless disregard for common sense.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

There is nothing unusual about this at all. Have you never heard of
Animal Control? You know, they come and shoot rabid animals?

These cats were probably disease ridden, poor creatures.

Now, if it was someones pet cat, or a pet dog, that
would be something to be concerned about.

edit on 2-7-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

I was just about to post about this >__<

I very sad and frustrating thing D:

There is currently a petition going around to remove the officer from his position.

I would post the link to it but last time I posted a link to such a thing in a thread, it got taken to the trashbin for "advertising"

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Uh, sorry - it seems to me as if the REAL problem is the discharge of a firearm in an urban area, the close proximity to the housr and children - and the situation that the killings were done in plain view of the children. Any one of those situation SHOULD merit some review by officials - ALL of them (as in this case) indicates to me that SOMETHING should be addressed: whether it's the officer's conduct or the rusulting trauma to the kids. Just my 2 cents - this is old news that we've already discussed at some length.

ganjoa

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

This was posted a few days ago, what's worse is that the officer shot the kittens on site and the woman's children were absolutely traumatized by his actions.

I don't know how this can be justified; it's senseless and cruel. At the very least take them away then shoot them so the children have some peace of mind...

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

Not to mention the safety of the people around the area,

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Heres some info from an email I recieved:

On June 10 in Lorain County, Ohio, North Ridgeville "Humane" Officer Barry Accorti responded to a call regarding a feral mother cat and her five kittens living in a woodpile in a homeowner's backyard. He told the homeowner that shelters were full and that the cats would be going to kitty heaven. He then pulled out his gun and shot to death the five 8 to 10 week-old kittens. We are told that he discharged his gun approximately 15 feet from the backyard patio. Never did Officer Accorti let the woman know that he would be killing the kittens on site or that he would be firing a gun in her backyard. The woman ran into the house to shield her children who were screaming and crying. The mother cat is still alive. Not only are there more humane ways to put down feral kittens, the poor judgement Accorti showed by firing a weapon in a backyard surrounded by other homes put people in danger. Allegedly Accorti told the woman that he isn't suppose to do this, but it was justifiable. I live in Lorain County and this is not the type of behavior or poor judgement we expect from our police officers. Our citizens are outraged that this happened yet Police Chief Mike Freeman has already cleared Accorti of any wrongdoing. We find that unacceptable. Officer Accorti should not continue his position as a humane officer with the North Ridgeville Police Department.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I agree the humane officer should've gone about it in a different way.

Feral cats are a problem, they will reproduce with their own young as soon as they're sexually mature.

Personally, if i'd been the homeowner i would've taken care of them myself.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by bg_socalif
I agree the humane officer should've gone about it in a different way.

Feral cats are a problem, they will reproduce with their own young as soon as they're sexually mature.

Personally, if i'd been the homeowner i would've taken care of them myself.

Feral humans are always spreading disease, and no one ever stops them from festering in someones yard.

But kittens, oh man I cant wait to have me a kitten shooting, I hate them feral stinking things that breed and steal my stuff. Man I'd shoot that kitten with a gun so big it'd be like, splat, take that feral kitten. Yeah man splat. If it had been me, boy oh boy I'd shoot them kittens, I'd be all like Pow pow bang hahahaha look maww, a dead kitten.

Another Hero.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I owned a cat for 17 years but I have to admit cat fanatics can be fairly ridiculous.

There was another recent social media campaign targeting some small municipality that was capturing and putting down feral cats. The demand was that they be captured, neutered and released.

Can you imagine re-releasing feral dogs, for example?

Neuter your cats, keep track of them (as in keeping them under control at all times like what is usually required with a dog) and there won't be feral cats. Once they're wild, killing them seems as logical a solution as any.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Here are people that feed feral cats even when its against the law.

I have reported these people in a couple places and the cops will not do anything.

A few times its got so bad locals have used pellet rifles to thin the population.

I have used live traps and relocated them to city property. nothing get to the city more then a bunch of feral cats taking over city hall.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Not so shocked here.

you city folk.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Kuroodo

if he fired his weapon in a neighborhood.....yes He was wrong.

If he didn't discuss it with the mom before taking this action....he was wrong.

But out in the country, you shoot nuisance animals. The other option is disease in your investment (animals), destroyed plants....once my little sister was scratched up while being put in her car seat when I was a kid. The cat had somehow gotten in the car during the night.

A few cats....good for snakes and mice. Too many? just trouble.

Ever been kept awake all night by mating cats on your roof?

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I can certainly agree with what the officer had to do. Yet a better way to deal with the situation might be to gather the kittens, drive 5 miles, and let them free. Give them a chance to survive on their own. Better yet, stick them in the woods or up in the mountains. You will feel better than calling the authorities. I know, because I have commuted kitties before.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

top topics

join