It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Marines in Spain, Italy remain on heightened alert

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Stars & Stripes

WASHINGTON — About 500 crisis-response Marines who recently deployed to Italy and Spain are positioned to respond to the brewing chaos in Egypt.

Pentagon spokesman George Little wouldn’t speak about Egypt or the U.S. Embassy in Cairo specifically, but said the military was postured for response in that region in particular.

“We have taken steps to ensure our military is ready to respond to a range of contingencies,” he said.

Egypt is ready to blow! I guess we should've figured Muslim Brotherhood President Morsi was going to reject the Egyptian military's ultimatum. He can't show weakness, yet, but he can still call a bluff to see what the military plans on doing about being told no. The defense wing of the Egyptian gov't stands behind their military but at the same time reminds them that no military coups are to be tolerated, to which the military agreed. So maybe now Morsi is feeling good, especially with the backing of the US gov't, he can now call their bluff with ease.

At this point it's really a matter of when, not if, Egypt is going to erupt into violence, and the US military knows this and will be ready accordingly. The US Embassy has been closed due to these protests so at least if it's over run only property damage will occur. Wouldn't be the first time Egypt's US Embassy was invaded by protesters. So when the poop hits the Egyptian fan where are these Marines going? To a closed Embassy? If not, then are they going to aid the Egyptian military who is against Morsi or will they support Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood?
edit on 2-7-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

I think...

Washington AKA The Obama administration are simply a bit nervous about another possible fiasco where Americans are killed by protesters not to mention the follow along finger pointing reminiscent of the US losses of personnel fairly recently in North Africa and all the fallout over that during the election eh?

Maybe not...

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Without a doubt the last thing this administration wants is Benghazi 2.0. The US Embassy was attacked on that terrible day in Egypt, that's what started the chaos (along with major manipulation) and I do believe it was also closed due to the demonstrations? I agree, the Obama administration clearly wouldn't want another thorn in their side so preparations are made. Americans have already been killed recently in Egypt along with many other tragic and terrible things done during these protests.

Were these same US crisis teams alert and on the ready for the past protests?

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
So when the poop hits the Egyptian fan where are these Marines going? To a closed Embassy? If not, then are they going to aid the Egyptian military who is against Morsi or will they support Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood?

There are still American civilians in Egypt that may have to be evacuated. If things get ugly the Marines will fly CH-47s, V-22s and CH-53s in to pull people out and bring them to safety. They've pulled civilians out of several areas in the region in the past. They fly them out to an LHA or LHD that is in the area until they can get them somewhere to fly them back to the US.
edit on 7/2/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

It still baffles that Americans are there in Egypt right now. I wonder how many are there? Being the US Embassy is closed where would they go if there was an evactuation? The crisis teams are on stand by & ready to roll so I suppose an airport would be a good start, but which one? List of airports in Egypt

Do the Americans in Egypt know what to do when the poop hits the fan!?

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

I'm sure they have some kind of information service. When you go to a foreign country you're usually told to visit the embassy and give them a phone number where you can be reached, in case of emergency. Even though the embassy is closed, the list of people there and their phone numbers is still around. There may even be a contingency to put out an emergency alert on television or radio for them, telling them where to go.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

You can bet there is already live feed UAV eyes on the ground

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by all2human

I'm betting on a U-2 and at least one RC-135 in the area. They don't have the loiter time of something like a Global Hawk, but they're more flexible, and have more sensors.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

True, but I think TV and radio just isn't gonna cut these days now that we have the internet. US Embassy/Egypt.gov will provide all the info any American needs.

Security Message for U.S. Citizens No. 53: Embassy Closed on Wednesday, July 3

On Wednesday July 3, the U.S. Embassy will be closed to the public and regular consular services are suspended for the day. We regret the inconvenience and all applicants’ appointments will be rescheduled. If you need an emergency service, please contact the Embassy at 2797-3300.

As a matter of general practice, U.S. citizens should avoid areas where large gatherings may occur. Even demonstrations or events intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence. U.S. citizens in Egypt are urged to monitor local news reports and to plan their activities accordingly.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Oh those are just two options. They actually call the people that have checked in with the embassy and alert them. The tv and radio alerts are more for the ones that didn't check in with them, that they can't reach easily.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Think it would be prudent for American and Canadian's and all those concerned in Egypt to quietly start evac to safer areas over the next 24/48hrs, best advice I can give.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

With 500 Marines they certainly aren’t going to engage the Egyptian military. There is always a large contingency of Marines in the area that are SOC. I suspect they are prepared to protect certain assets critical to security in the region and evacuate certain people if it gets nasty. Egypt does have large stock piles of biological and chemical weapons that don’t need to get into the wrong hands. The scary thing is trying to identify which hands are the RIGHT hands. Every time I think I know who the good guys are they prove me wrong.

S&F

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
They did Nothing like this last time.
I think They have some thing planed !

must make an exsample of them!
they can not let the world see that this works...

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by Swills

With 500 Marines they certainly aren’t going to engage the Egyptian military. There is always a large contingency of Marines in the area that are SOC. I suspect they are prepared to protect certain assets critical to security in the region and evacuate certain people if it gets nasty. Egypt does have large stock piles of biological and chemical weapons that don’t need to get into the wrong hands. The scary thing is trying to identify which hands are the RIGHT hands. Every time I think I know who the good guys are they prove me wrong.

S&F

The U.S. and Egyptian military have a good working relationship. They would never be fighting each other, they will kick the crap out of Morsi's MB clowns if they try anything stupid.

This all stems from Morsi being busted on live TV with his government clowns talking about how America and Israel are the real enemy and ways to shut down water to Ethiopia or something stupid like that. Most Egyptians said oh hell no, we are not being led by Wackos again, so they kick this scumbag government out.

Bravo to the Egyptian military for backing its people.

new topics

top topics

join