It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The record-breaking Nasa rocket that's run non-stop for five years and could be used in deep space

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

Ah right, that is true.. Thanks for correcting that... Man, not sure why these little facts are messing with my head... hmmmm... Math skills fail... basic knowledge fail...

So it is probably a better candidate for traveling to one of these new Earth type planets we are discovering...

anyway, yeah, pretty important fact... thanks man.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ByteChanger

It takes almost a full year to get up to speed, and has stopping issues. But it is fascinating never the less.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
So for those that are more mathematically inclined than I, how would these ion propulsion systems compare to say, the Voyager spacecraft? Assuming a launch of two identical probes, except for propulsion systems, how far would the ion propelled craft have traveled versus the conventional Voyager 1 based on the same launch date of September 5, 1977? Since the Voyagers relied primarily on planetary, gravitational "slingshot" trajectories, wouldn't it make since that an ion propelled craft would have covered a much greater distance by now? If so, why haven't we launched something like this to explore interstellar space?
edit on 7/3/13 by surfinguru because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Whilst not exactly what you asked for, here is an example of the difference
www.esa.int...

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chargeit
Good find.

I always love the general lack of interest in things related to "real" space travel... Add UFO, or alien into your title and this would have already been a 6 page thread.

Did you mention UFO?

Oh goody, i lov...oh, i see what you did there..NM. This is space fantasy, as opposed to space fantastic.

Oh well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join