It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UVA student jailed for possession of bottled water, ice cream

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Now this is just getting ridiculous! A 20 year old female student at University of Virginia student who was with her two roommates was arrested by seven supposed agents of the Virginia ABC board after she purchased a 12 pack of water, some cookie dough and some ice cream!

Amazing story here: news.yahoo.coml

Daly, along with two roommates who were in the car, did what reasonable, unarmed people usually do when violently pounced upon by seven people. They tried to get away.

“They were showing unidentifiable badges after they approached us, but we became frightened, as they were not in anything close to a uniform,” Daly said in a written account, according to The Daily Progress.

“I couldn’t put my windows down unless I started my car, and when I started my car they began yelling to not move the car, not to start the car. They began trying to break the windows. My roommates and I were … terrified,” the student also wrote."

Is something else going on here that I missed?
edit on 29-6-2013 by wevebeenassimilated because: typo

edit on 29-6-2013 by wevebeenassimilated because: added quote

edit on 29-6-2013 by wevebeenassimilated because: changed 6 pack to 12 pack

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS
MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others
edit on Sat Jun 29 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: EX TAGS, fixed link

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Amazingly, the brave and valiant officers made it out of this dangerous situation with their lives. Someone award them a medal.

...for stupidity.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Yeah she purchased a 20 pack of water without a valid id....

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Maybe the supposed ABC agents were actually some other alphabet agency.

Who knows one of her roommates could be a terrorist! Is our government THAT paranoid?

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I really dislike over-zealous cops.... especially plain clothed over-zealous cops. They should be fired, but they wont be.

Why? Police state plain and simple.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I remember once when a cop asked me to provide an ID as I walked out of a grocery store carrying a six pack.
At no point in time did he scream, yell, run, point a gun or any of that type of chicanery.
I could easily identify his uniform and badge as he didn't actually ambush me and scare the beejesus out of me or my friends.

Of course, that was back when being a cop didn't have a high end cut off for an IQ and none of them had decided to become a police officer during a mountain dew and skittle fueled "Call Of Duty" marathon.
edit on 29-6-2013 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Bejeezus.. so she wasn't actually jailed for "possession of bottled water, ice cream", she was jailed for evading arrest.

The media are morons.

But the cops do seem a little short of a few bricks in this case..

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

The seven agents sprung aggressively into action, suspecting that the student was carrying was a 12-pack of beer. She was actually carrying a sky-blue carton of LaCroix sparkling water.

Lol so she's a 20 year old student suspected of buying beer? Bwahahaha!!!!! Here in Australia the legal drinking age is 18... and even if the police saw a 16 year old with alcohol all they would do is force the kid to empty out the cans/bottles. Rushing her like that as a group was totally uncalled for... especially if they were not in uniform. She and her friends had every right to try to escape the "attackers", because criminals pretend to be police all the time to catch people by surprise.
edit on 29/6/2013 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by juniperberry
Bejeezus.. so she wasn't actually jailed for "possession of bottled water, ice cream", she was jailed for evading arrest.

The media are morons.

I agree. The title is misleading. The events however, are very telling.

Let's say you have a 20 year old daughter at college that this happened to. I would be outraged! She and her two roommates had just been to a take back the night rally and were terrified they would be kidnapped, raped, and murdered. The seven agents were in plain clothes and they panicked. This should have NEVER happened!

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
They couldn't simply walk up to her and ask?

This is an actual mandate they have to terrorize people I think..

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by juniperberry

she was jailed for evading arrest.

What I would like to know is how can she be charged for evading arrest if there was nothing to arrest her for. She was evading psychopaths in reality.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by juniperberry

The media are morons.

Evading arrest for carrying a bottle of water. No matter how you word it, it is what it is. If she was so threatened that she fled and ran over the cop, should she be convicted for vehicular manslaughter? In my opinion, no.

They had no grounds to arrest her to begin with.

There are cases of people dressing up like police or creating fake badges, cars, etc. One of the people she is with called 911. There is no mens rea here. They were legitimately scared for their well being and any actions they took should not be criminal in the least.

On the other hand, the actions of the over zealous water police....

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Definately a million dollar suit here for the badly frightened girls.....
The troube is that the police DO have a mandate to act the way they do.....
Obviously they are encouraged to do so every time another cop gets away with murder rape or robbery......

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Evading arrest for carrying a bottle of water. No matter how you word it, it is what it is. If she was so threatened that she fled and ran over the cop, should she be convicted for vehicular manslaughter? In my opinion, no.

They had no grounds to arrest her to begin with.

There are cases of people dressing up like police or creating fake badges, cars, etc. One of the people she is with called 911. There is no mens rea here. They were legitimately scared for their well being and any actions they took should not be criminal in the least.

On the other hand, the actions of the over zealous water police....

"Police admit that one of the high-strung agents vaulted onto the hood of Daly’s car. She contends that one of them also drew a gun."

You call that over zealous? I call that criminal conduct. It just sounds like they were describing a car-jacking. These "officers" are a threat to every honest cop walking around. They should be criminally charged and fired.

These young ladies should consider themselves lucky. If they were male, it's likely they would have been shot.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by juspassinthru

You call that over zealous? I call that criminal conduct. It just sounds like they were describing a car-jacking. These "officers" are a threat to every honest cop walking around. They should be criminally charged and fired.

I was basically saying the same thing, tongue in cheek... Dear lord.

top topics

join