It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
What are all of the worlds religions good for? They hide people from themselves and allow them to construct a fake relationship with a god or set of gods that we can't even be sure exists. Religion creates a strict set of boundaries for its followers and tells them to fear rejection, punishment, or damnation if they step out of line.

But isn't it human nature to want to be completely free? With no rules or limits or boundaries? The gods that humanity creates are really just guises for what we aspire to be, what we wish that we were. But in creating these systems we are only pushing away from ourselves that which we desire most. Life isn't organized, there are no 'rules' or 'systems' in life. Why can't our religions be like that?

Religion should be based on what we DO know... ourselves. Not on bowing down to and living in fear of a jealous angry god that probably isn't even there. All you know that exists for sure is your own consciousness, so maybe we should start worship ourselves instead.
edit on 27-6-2013 by HarryTZ because: paragraphing

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I agree with you 100%, the people I know who goto church all gossip about people who are either in another church or those who dont believe in god, they promote hate instead of love and freedom, I cant stand anyone who believes in god, with everything science has proven today I just dont understand why anyone would even consider anything from the bible to be true, its not even very old, 2000 years! come one we know dinosaurs walked the earth millions of years ago, why do some think the bible is true when it was obviously created at a time when people had no idea if the earth was flat and we could fall off the edge, lol. silly religion, it has no place in todays modern world, it just creates war and sick old men who like to play with children.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by wissy

You can't really blame those people, religion is just a part of their societal programming. We all have it, but most of us don't know it.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by HarryTZ

What are all of the worlds religions good for?

2 words my friend.... Bake sales

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by wissy
why do some think the bible is true when it was obviously created at a time when people had no idea if the earth was flat and we could fall off the edge, lol. silly religion, it has no place in todays modern world, it just creates war and sick old men who like to play with children.

I beg to differ. In fact perhaps if you understood more science you would realize when you look at the universe fundamentally it actually is like a flat piece of paper which includes our planet laying flat within that flat piece of paper. Our 3 dimensional world and round earth is a construct of an external force being applied to matter. Call it the arc of the universe in electrical terms.. So when you want to laugh and joke poking fun at all the "silly people" you should perhaps consider it still is flat but it's also round as well. Both are correct but they were wrong about falling off the edge.. And that viewpoint wasn't only reserved for the religious, the scientists of the day thought the same as well.

Religion creates war? How much science has contributed to the military industrial complex in comparison with religion? Einstein worked on and discovered the technology for nuclear war, did Jesus ever do anything like that? Thousands of scientists right now are working on projects to kill other people. Stop being so naive..

There are good and bad people in the world from all walks of life, it's the evil within individuals that causes war and corruption, not religion or science on it's own.
edit on 27-6-2013 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by libertytoall

why do some think the bible is true when it was obviously created at a time when people had no idea if the earth was flat and we could fall off the edge, lol. silly religion, it has no place in todays modern world, it just creates war and sick old men who like to play with children.

I beg to differ. In fact perhaps if you understood more science you would realize when you look at the universe fundamentally it actually is like a flat piece of paper which includes our planet laying flat within that flat piece of paper. Our 3 dimensional world and round earth is a construct of an external force being applied to matter. Call it the arc of the universe in electrical terms.. So when you want to laugh and joke poking fun at all the "silly people" you should perhaps consider it still is flat but it's also round as well. Both are correct but they were wrong about falling off the edge.. And that viewpoint wasn't only reserved for the religious, the scientists of the day thought the same as well.

Religion creates war? How much science has contributed to the military industrial complex in comparison with religion? Einstein worked on and discovered the technology for nuclear war, did Jesus ever do anything like that? Thousands of scientists right now are working on projects to kill other people. Stop being so naive..

There are good and bad people in the world from all walks of life, it's the evil within individuals that causes war and corruption, not religion or science on it's own.

Just because religion isn't the only cause of violence doesn't negate the hundreds of different wars, conquests, and revolutions in the name of faith. If you can't see that, than your knowledge of history is severely lacking.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by HarryTZ

Just because religion isn't the only cause of violence doesn't negate the hundreds of different wars, conquests, and revolutions in the name of faith. If you can't see that, than your knowledge of history is severely lacking.

How many wars have been started over religion and how many have been pursued simply for financial gain? I bet you will find more wars over finance and power than you will over God and religion.. Just like the war on terror is being turned into a religious rooted war it's really not a religious war at all.. Throughout history rulers and armies have used the guise of religion to achieve their non-spiritual motives.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by libertytoall

Ya.... Just the evil and bad in people caused wars....
Not radicial bible thumpin religious folk that would burn a witch at the stake or keep a war going since the begining of time because there religion is right and everyone else is wrong???
Limited perspective? There just all evil and bad right...? I get it... The world makes sense now....

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by sulaw

Not radicial bible thumpin religious folk that would burn a witch at the stake or keep a war going since the begining of time because there religion is right and everyone else is wrong???
Limited perspective? There just all evil and bad right...? I get it... The world makes sense now....

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Feel free to exit left.. The funny thing is I'm so not a bible thumper. I don't even observe anything religious but I can easily recognize blind hatred in many people who seem to hate anything religious or Godly.. It's a trait many atheists have. I wish I could understand where the hatred stems from.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

How many wars have been started over religion and how many have been pursued simply for financial gain? I bet you will find more wars over finance and power than you will over God and religion.. Just like the war on terror is being turned into a religious rooted war it's really not a religious war at all.. Throughout history rulers and armies have used the guise of religion to achieve their non-spiritual motives.

I agree, the way our world's societies are run today obviously does not work and we need a global change. But I think a good place to start is the annihilation of religion. That may sound very extreme but until we completely destroy all of the ignorance-based duality we are going to get nowhere. Then we can move on to the annihilation of government as we know it, for the same reason. All in the name of unity.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by sulaw

Lol yep. If you don't agree with me you deserve to die. That's the paradigm of our time, and not just for religion.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Ohhh no! NOT THE HUFFINGTON POST! Dear me... Takes the exit stage right~

Have at thee!

Religious War

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

What are all of the worlds religions good for? They hide people from themselves and allow them to construct a fake relationship with a god or set of gods that we can't even be sure exists. Religion creates a strict set of boundaries for its followers and tells them to fear rejection, punishment, or damnation if they step out of line.

But isn't it human nature to want to be completely free? With no rules or limits or boundaries? The gods that humanity creates are really just guises for what we aspire to be, what we wish that we were. But in creating these systems we are only pushing away from ourselves that which we desire most. Life isn't organized, there are no 'rules' or 'systems' in life. Why can't our religions be like that?

Religion should be based on what we DO know... ourselves. Not on bowing down to and living in fear of a jealous angry god that probably isn't even there. All you know that exists for sure is your own consciousness, so maybe we should start worship ourselves instead.
edit on 27-6-2013 by HarryTZ because: paragraphing
not all religions are like this you are basing your statements on a few religions but applying it to all of them

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by truthontheloose

You're right, I probably could have been a bit less all-inclusive. Buddhism and Hinduism are great examples religions (if you can really call them that, by today's standards) that go against the grain of society. It seems we have taken a turn for the worst in the past 2,000 years or so, reaching out to more wrathful gods for security. The Lord will smite thee if you disagree with me!

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by HarryTZ

religion is bad for you...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

You're right, I probably could have been a bit less all-inclusive. Buddhism and Hinduism are great examples religions (if you can really call them that, by today's standards) that go against the grain of society. It seems we have taken a turn for the worst in the past 2,000 years or so, reaching out to more wrathful gods for security. The Lord will smite thee if you disagree with me!

you are thinking of the middle eastern god most polytheistic religions are not oppressive
and buddhism and hinduism restrict you even more then the middle eastern religions which is saying something
edit on 27-6-2013 by truthontheloose because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthontheloose

you are thinking of the middle eastern god most polytheistic religions are not oppressive
and buddhism and hinduism restrict you even more then the middle eastern religions which is saying something

Buddhism is not restrictive whatsoever and cannot truly even be considered a religion. I'm not really sure where you've been getting your information but it is not correct.
Hinduism, on the other hand, I am not quite as familiar with, so I do not know for certain if your claim is correct.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by HarryTZ

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by HarryTZ

Your thoughts revolve around the other person, including your own lack of freedom bound by law. People do not bind you by law. Nature accomplishes this by allowing you freedom as an electron. Why do I use the electron (-) as an example? If you reduce all reality to the fundamental starting point, you then see why you are the reflection of this three-fold binding. Hydrogen starts with one proton (+) and one electron (-) in a balanced state. Once hydrogen is released from the star, it is bound by the neutron in cohesion with the proton. A neutron has two down quarks and one up quark. A Proton is mirrored by this and has two up quarks and one down. The strong nuclear force of the neutron and proton draw in the electron.

I explain this here: Prospiracy

Why does this matter for your comments about Christians?

Christians are trying to rise to the Proton (Son of God) and the Neutral (God). We are the ones with free will (Electron). An Atheist is trying to run away from the mean in the center (Attractive force of Cohesion). In both cases, the Neutron and Proton will send us back (Repulsion) until we mirror the three-fold cord. Each of the ones in the nucleus have a three-fold cord of two over one. This is true unity and balance. As an Electron, all of us are outside this as multiplicity and division. You are no different in judging a Christian than a Christian is for judging you. You are both in this together. A Christian simply chooses to rise in the waters of life.

You want your freedom. That's fine. When you come to realize that the law will draw you back, you will eventually see the value in obeying it. We are all bound by the laws of nature and I show you the law in root position. If you understand what the law is trying to accomplish with you, you might learn something about rising to new life from the experience. Christians are learning this daily. It's the point of life. Faith is love above the need for law from the three-fold cord of unity with God. None of us are there yet.

Galatians 3

23 Before the coming of this faith,[j] we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. 24 So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.

26 So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, 27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

We are all children of God until we are no longer children. God hands the inheritance to us when we grow up and follow His perfect law. Check the link above. It goes into detail on this idea of natural law governing our faith toward or away from God.

edit on 27-6-2013 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthontheloose
reply to post by HarryTZ

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

I really don't see what you think those links prove. Maybe you should have read them through before you posted them.
edit on 27-6-2013 by HarryTZ because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join