It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas abortion bill vote 'came too late to pass'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   
A vote on a new law which could close most of the abortion clinics in the US state of Texas came too late to pass, leading Republicans now say.

www.bbc.co.uk...

What made me giggle at this story was a Democratic senator tried to stand speaking for long enough to prevent voting on the bill, but was stopped after 10 hours when the chairman ruled she had gone off topic.
(reminds me of my 5 hour economic exam at school I just waffled for 3 hours and got a B lol )

So do you Texans agree that abortions should be banned at over 20 weeks?
Personally I think it is upto the woman who is carrying the fetus.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Oh dear, Hornets nest now poked. You can almost hear the creek of Bibles opening across ATS, or people practicing spitting the word "murderer", their religious zeal now rising to boiling point.

Everyone duck and cover, we're about to have another one of those threads that results in ten bans and a closing moderator post after three pages

edit on 26-6-2013 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   

I commend her for her efforts and she is my hero and doesn't matter from what politicrap party she is, she stood for 10 hours and have the balls to fight against such an anti women right bill.

edit on 26-6-2013 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
To undercut a democratic voting by speaking endlessly... that is a sign of the greatest democrasy on Earth. Yeah!

I think that this should be banned as a way to prevent new laws.

BTW: 70% of all filibusters were delivered by republicans.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
The only thing that irks me about this is that it was postponed not by the filibuster, but by the riotous crowds in the peanut gallery.

IMO, time should have been granted equal to the time that it took to get the peanut gallery to shut the hell up.

edit on 26-6-2013 by Shimri because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I'm not from Texas but I'll give a response that'll get things started

If someone is going to have an abortion, WHY wait until 20 weeks? I understand that sometimes things happen later in the pregnancy that make an abortion at that point required, but to wait until the child is 5 months in the womb ... when the child can feel pain .. when the child is opening and closing her eyes and sucking her thumb and playing with the cord and her toes .... well ... I'll say it ... that's just selfish and evil.

Yes, I used the 'evil' word. that's my opinion. that's based on the fact that science tells us that unborn children at that point can feel pain in the womb. Children in the womb at that point can have surgeries and the doctors will give them pain killers during the surgeries. To painfully shred these children or burn them alive with chemicals knowing that they feel the pain ... that's just evil.

I just think that waiting until 20 weeks to have an abortion is an incredibly stupid thing to do.
As I said, sometimes things come up that make it necessary ... I'm not talking about that.
I'm talking about being lazy or whatever and not having one until you are five months along.

edit on 6/26/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   

As I live in Texas this was all over the news yesterday. In my area (and I'm talking about from local to within a couple of hours drive) there is no place you can get an abortion after 12 weeks' pregnancy, and I am fine with that- 12 weeks has been the cutoff for decades.

While I support a woman's right to choose I agree that there should be a cut off point somewhere lest we'd hear about even more situations like that madness that occurred in Pennsylvania with fully developed babies being not aborted but actually murdered. 20 weeks is halfway through the pregnancy and plenty of time to decide what you want to do. I am biased on this as when a friend and I were both pregnant with our first children my friend went into premature labor at slightly less than 20 weeks and thanks to an excellent neo-natal ICU and the dedication of the hospital staff and the parents that child will be 25 years old this fall and a mother herself.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I briefly read over the bill and if requiring abortion clinics to upgrade their health standards and equipment would result in closing all of them, would you really want to get an abortion there? It is a medical procedure and should be handled as any other as far as equipment, training, cleanliness, etc.

What boggles my brain is all these protestors can show up for abortion, but nobody shows up for the other horrific things the government is doing? Guess the parties have it right, gay rights and abortion really is all Americans care about.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

I comment her for her efforts and she is my hero and doesn't matter from what politicrap party she is, she stood for 10 hours and have the balls to fight against such an anti women right bill.

What's "anti" about it? It calls for clean sanitation in clinics, and available safety admittance to a hospital if needed. It does limit an abortion to 20 weeks .. you do know that a child will survive in the 20-24 week range right?

If it's alive to the point where it will survive outside the mother .. how .. is that not ... murder??

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Originally posted by marg6043

I comment her for her efforts and she is my hero and doesn't matter from what politicrap party she is, she stood for 10 hours and have the balls to fight against such an anti women right bill.

What's "anti" about it? It calls for clean sanitation in clinics, and available safety admittance to a hospital if needed. It does limit an abortion to 20 weeks .. you do know that a child will survive in the 20-24 week range right?

If it's alive to the point where it will survive outside the mother .. how .. is that not ... murder??

A-fricken-men. It's so depressing to see people spouting the liberal media talking points about hating women and infringing women's rights when killing a child, especially when you are OVER HALFWAY THROUGH the pregnancy at 20 weeks.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I do wonder if Governor Perry will call a second special session though.

Because of the filibuster, other laws got backed up that needed a decision.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I just saw the film footage of the hooligan far-lefters shouting and jumping around in the court room so that a vote couldn't take place. :shk: They whine that the right is trying to take away their rights but the truth is that the far left wasn't allowing the democratic process to take place. They only 'tolerate' that which goes the way they want .... hypocrites.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I'm not religious or anything but I can agree to this.. unless it is a life threatening situation, why wait too long to get abortion? Abortion should not be a easy decision or instant "contraceptive".

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

No, the clinics already pass the standards of sanitations rules that are already in place by law, is a hoax the bill wants to close the clinics because it wants them to upgrade to major hospital standards for surgery, a small clinic with limited resources can not do this without monetary expenses.

So that is the problem is just about closing as many clinics as they can.

Plain and simple.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by tnhiker
I briefly read over the bill and if requiring abortion clinics to upgrade their health standards and equipment would result in closing all of them, would you really want to get an abortion there? It is a medical procedure and should be handled as any other as far as equipment, training, cleanliness, etc.

That's not what will result in closing them. It also requires a doctor to have admitting rights to a hospital within 30 miles of his clinic. Some of the clinics in Texas are out in areas that don't have hospitals nearby, just because of the sheer size of the state. That's what going to require that they close.

new topics

top topics

join