It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China will begin executing people who break SARS quarantine!!!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2003 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I can't stand our legal system, but I hate the one you have in China. The system you have is rational but not humane, the system we have is humane but not rational. You said it best, "You pick your values, you pay the price."

posted on May, 17 2003 @ 01:52 PM
link   
This is quite so, and most generously expressed, Abe-V.
The "individual" is not valued as an abstraction out here: and this can make Western hackles rise.
The "collective" is highly valued.
And that is how the government appears: anything that we might think of, individually, as "freedom" is generally an invitation to prison: anything that promotes mass benefit is a good thing.

posted on May, 17 2003 @ 01:58 PM
link   
And, if I may drone on, Abe: I just thought about "I" and "me" and even in the language, the difference is there:I was recently on a business trip to Canada -and apart from trips, I've been a long time out of the white man's world - and I was vaguely amazed at the "I", "me","my" myself" drivellings from people in the next booth at high volume.
Chinese has a word for "I" ("wo") but it's rarely used: in Malay/Indonesian or Thai -you have to choose from a battery of words that immediately define social status/age: there just is no "I" out here -except as a very strong point.

posted on May, 17 2003 @ 02:13 PM
link   
wow that's crazy. I heard that an apartment builfing started this whole SARS thing. Can you amagine that. Two people starting SARS. It has spread really fast. I just hope it doesn't come to California because if it does i am just gonna build an underground shack and stock up on food and movies and never come out

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Estragon
At its simplest: the Chinese place little value on individuality, "personal freedom", or the right to break the rules.
And that's why governments punish anything that affects the collective values harshly. We may not, of course, share those collective values; but it's at least debatable that the Chiense fondness for a bullet (very cheap and quick) is remarkably worse than the American fondness for long, slow, legal executions.

And the Americans fondness for NOT punishing theft by fraud, like Madoff and political corruption.
Jim Baker back in action after a few years in a country club prison, for defrauding thousands of people of their life savings.
jimbakkershow.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join