It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it "insane" to talk to imaginary people? How about "talking to 'God'"?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen
I do not believe that God told Bush to invade Iraq (maybe it was Cheney throwing his voice from an air duct in the ceiling, lol,) but unless you have evidence that proves that "God is an imaginary being," your comparison is not valid.

Absence of evidence does not prove God exist, on contrary... it proves it does not exist.

When you find evidence that God is not imaginary being, then we can talk about it...

As for Bush, it was amazing that we Americans selected person such as him as president... On positive side, there is new word that was coined thanks to him - bushism. I always have quite good time reading them...

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." - Washington, D.C., August 5, 2004

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperFrog

Lol funny as hell.

"Do you have blacks too!?"

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nacirema
reply to post by gladtobehere

I read a neuroscience study on the effects of theists estimating the views of their god concerning important social and ethical topics a while back. It showed that they are really estimating the views of their own ego. So when George Bush said God told him to invade Iraq, it's likely it was in his best interest.

Talking to God is synonymous with talking to yourself or to an unreliable imaginary friend.
edit on 6/25/2013 by Nacirema because: (no reason given)

I agree.

In fact, I try to explain to theist that they are simply comunning with themself; a 'god' has not answered their prayers.

I state that the reason they beleive this is that they have been indocrinated to give a god credit for EVERYTHING. However; they're prayers (wishes) seem to come true when they pray only because it is during this alone time that they are meditating and are not distracted.

Quite naturally they will come up with the best solution, but it was THEM who came up with it.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

You don't, unless you want to say "there are no deities," which is a factual claim. Just as with any statement of fact, you need to provide evidence of that fact. Barring none, it becomes a statement of opinion, not fact.

Again, you are trying to say belief in deity is default, it is not.

It does not exist until it is proven to exist.

The phrase "There are no deities" is not an opinion, its true and the default so it holds, until you disprove it with fact, that is when this claim will turn into a truth and my claim becomes untrue.

Claimer: "omg guys there is a unicorn over there"

Person: "No there isn't, it doesn't exist"

Claimer: "That is your opinion, Prove it that it does not exist first!"

Make sense?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

whats even more insane is to not realize you're insane and/or deny it...

I know some religiously fanatic people who have this sense of entitlement because of it. They feel like they have a free pass

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Is evidence required to prove Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny don't exist?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Wonders

I believe that God is real, alive. I do not approve of organized religion,

Good for you. You are ahead of the curve. You spotted the wolves in sheep's clothing that stand at the very door.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

You want proof they don't exist? Well here's the proof.. There is no evidence to show it/they are real in the first place. With no initial evidence, there is...well nothing.

Faith by definition is the strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

Faith = Idiocy
edit on 26-6-2013 by Quoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Wow... your trying to kill 2 birds with one stone!! Attack Bush (Getting Old) and attack religion (Getting Even Older).

To be honest I do not approve of Denominations. I stated this in my welcome thread. It means to divide. I really really think that these different faiths was conjured up on the grounds of I'm right your wrong.

People argue that the end is coming." I say oh really what do you mean?" The typical response is "The Rapture" Me being a fact finding person looked and looked and no where could I find this rapture in any Bible. Be it all My Bibles are older. However should that matter? Look I believe there is a God. I also believe at one point he did write a letter and the ten commandments and so forth. However at some point people started to do their own versions. In the end however a true Scientist and Religious Scholar do have one thing in common. The search for absolute truth. In the end what a person believes in or chooses not believe is their choice and their freedom to do so.

If a real Atheist asks me why I choose to believe in God My answer is usually.
"Whats the point in life if there is nothing else and We simply just chug along until our last breath.Then that would mean our life and our challenges was all for nothing! No I say there is something greater then Myself and that something greater is God himself"

" Ones faith not tested is not a strong faith"
edit on 26-6-2013 by darkstar111 because: spelling error and punctuation.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
“ There are known knowns; there are things we know that we know.
There are known unknowns; that is to say, there are things that we now know we don't know.
But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don't know. ”

There will probably never be proof either way in this argument unless you die and go to heaven or hell or are reincarnated and know you are but then that proof is only for those in that situation if those situations even exist, maybe there is a god but when our light goes out it is simply out, I do not know

The universe is a fascinating place and I believe only a god has put forward what we see before us. What form that god may take I do not know maybe he is a operating system running the universe maybe hes the one that sparks the smallest probabilities but to say flat out god is imaginary means you are very close minded and not as wide eyed as you think you may be.

I choose to believe in the form of Christ and I am happy believing in him even if "the stories may be made up." The Life of Pi was a perfect example at the end of the day what do you want to believe and find comforting? It is only for you to decide but the anguish one must feel to believe when they are dead you simply cease to exist, that what you do in life is only for another person/persons that will simply cease to exist, that there is not even a small direction in your life by a supreme being and your worth will be lost in the folds of time is very hard to imagine. I feel people who live that way must not have looked deeply at themselves and the bigger picture for if one was to do so you would choose to believe in some form of god or lose all motivation in your life aspirations or simply ignore it and worry about what the Kardashians are up to. Look at yourself as an atheist and at the eons of time and what you are doing in your life, do you not feel that despair? Yes my family is what is important to me right now and I live my life for them and for God because I believe I will live on and see them again and that God has direction for us now, I feel we are preparing in this life for when our true life begins.
edit on 6/26/2013 by ashtonhz8907 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Originally posted by akushla99

Originally posted by vethumanbeing

Very young children 'talk to imaginery people'...

Are very young children 'insane'? Å99

Open they are VHB...I was lucky enough to be born under an inquisitive, but cautious star...I could no sooner prove that I see the color red, than that I could hear voices...so, for others they don't exist (and I am insane) and I don't really see the color red...that would be insanity also...Å99

Have you regained the ability now? I am extemely disapointed in the Psychiatric community pushing forth the idea that hearing voices is crazy. Jesus, Moses, John the Babtist (just some of more familar Christian icons) heard voices and in this society would be deemed 'mentally ill'; locked up, medicated. Some of us are sensitives, I am in that I can access the ether world, and 'talk to" beings not physical in the 3D. I am a clear channel. There is nothing wrong with me, its just an ability I have and I document the conversations (write them, as they are occuring). Higher self probably. Its as natural to me as knowing red is the frequency of light RED, the heartbeat is the sound frequency 40HZ.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by akushla99

Its called being a child, they grow out of it? is adult a child?

That didn't answer my question...
OP asks...'Is it insane to talk to imaginery people?'...children 'talk' to imaginery people...and because the question I asked has not been answered, I can only conclude that this means that children are at some stage insane...and then 'grow out of insanity'...strange idea...Å99

Children born now are just as open but the difference is they are being born into a higher vibration, their parents, or every successive generation is 'lighter'. These children have more support/nurturing of these skills than say someone born during the cold war NEGATIVES. The idea of 'Growing out of insanity' is ridiculous, forced to grow out of natural intuitiveness is the insanity.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Not crazy. Just delusional.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashtonhz8907
There are known unknowns; that is to say, there are things that we now know we don't know.
But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don't know. ”

There will probably never be proof either way in this argument unless you die and go to heaven or hell or are reincarnated and know you are but then that proof is only for those in that situation if those situations even exist, maybe there is a god but when our light goes out it is simply out, I do not know

The universe is a fascinating place and I believe only a god has put forward what we see before us. What form that god may take I do not know maybe he is a operating system running the universe maybe hes the one that sparks the smallest probabilities but to say flat out god is imaginary means you are very close minded and not as wide eyed as you think you may be.

I choose to believe in the form of Christ and I am happy believing in him even if "the stories may be made up." The Life of Pi was a perfect example at the end of the day what do you want to believe and find comforting? It is only for you to decide but the anguish one must feel to believe when they are dead you simply cease to exist, that what you do in life is only for another person/persons that will simply cease to exist, that there is not even a small direction in your life by a supreme being and your worth will be lost in the folds of time is very hard to imagine. I feel people who live that way must not have looked deeply at themselves and the bigger picture for if one was to do so you would choose to believe in some form of god or lose all motivation in your life aspirations or simply ignore it and worry about what the Kardashians are up to. Look at yourself as an atheist and at the eons of time and what you are doing in your life, do you not feel that despair? Yes my family is what is important to me right now and I live my life for them and for God because I believe I will live on and see them again and that God has direction for us now, I feel we are preparing in this life for when our true life begins.

Ironically, in the book "The Life of Pi" Pi gets annoyed and angry when the interviewer asks him if his story is a representation of what actually happened.

But! Leave it to Hollywood to completely go the opposite way with something than the author intended. Stuff sells better in America if it's Jesus-Approved.
edit on 26-6-2013 by HairlessApe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined
reply to post by Nacirema

So when George Bush said God told him to invade Iraq, it's likely it was in his best interest.

Even the Muslims will tell you that the invasion of Iraq was all predicted in the Qu'ran.

Regardless of where it came from, it was all a part of God's plan to complete the prophecies that have been written about the Middle East and Jerusalem/Israel in particular, written in both the Bible and the Qu'ran. The only difference between the two is who wins in the end.

So god put them to fight each other, and he watches (with pop corn) while soldiers and innocent people, children, women and babes are killed, and whole nations suffer....

Thats great love there...

Do you want an alternative explanation? Political and religious leaders using the ''prophesies'' and the blind faith people have in a ''god'' to capitalize on oil resources and strategic points in middle east.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Originally posted by luciddream

but unless you have evidence that proves that "God is an imaginary being," your comparison is not valid.

Yeah, ok... you make up something, and we have to prove it doesn't exist?

Who says I made something up? Do you think that the act of believing in something causes it to come into existence?

If you wish to positively aver that God does not exist, as opposed to the usual atheist position of "I have no belief in deities," then, yes, you need to provide evidence to back up that claim.

You are positing "Russel's teapot". The evidence is on the person claiming for something to exist, not on the person who says it doesn't.

No, not really.

As I said, the burden of proof does not hinge on "exists / does not exist", but rather on whether the claim is positing or not.

"I do not believe that deities exist" -- no proof required, because the statement is in regards to one's beliefs

"Deities do not exist" -- proof required, because the statement is in regards to the factual lack of existence of something.

Of course, it is impossible to prove a negative, particularly when the subject is claimed to be omniscient and omnipotent, but that's beside the point.

edit on 25-6-2013 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

God does not exist , you want proof? how about giving me first proof he exists?

Thousands of years of blind faith, with no proof or scientific evidence or anything, and now WE MUST PROVE, he doesn't exist? thats insane... oh wait we are talking about religion so yea insanity is a big part of it, sorry...

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by HairlessApe

Originally posted by ashtonhz8907

Ironically, in the book "The Life of Pi" Pi gets annoyed and angry when the interviewer asks him if his story is a representation of what actually happened.

But! Leave it to Hollywood to completely go the opposite way with something than the author intended. Stuff sells better in America if it's Jesus-Approved.
edit on 26-6-2013 by HairlessApe because: (no reason given)

I'm sorry that is all you took away from my post and my point applies to the book and movie so I have no idea what you are trying to say about my point, I read the book years before I saw the movie.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
It is ridiculous to demand proof you accept science as it is now just because it is in front of you. What if god works through science and does not have a heaven/hell or moral code he just pulls strings? Don't think of what major religions say about god I think that's where you guys get hung up you imagine god as what religions say. Reality is we are still saying the Earth is flat figuratively and always will be. If you can not think outside the box you must be sheep and not a human at all.

I'm not trying to make anyone believe in my Christian faith I am just flabbergasted people are able to deny 100% that god exist because you haven't seen him. I mean to be so close minded, are you on the right site?
edit on 6/27/2013 by ashtonhz8907 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I am a former evangelical christian who is now leaning more towards atheism. Do I think people that talk to God are crazy? No, I don't think people who talk to themselves are crazy either, I talk to myself quite a bit, it just helps me figure things out if I can say it out loud.

Former President Bush is an awful example. Using a politician for any argument is the apotheosis of foolishness. Politicians pander and GWB pandered to evangelical Christians.

Do I think religions should have any say in laws? No.

Does it bother me if someone wants to talk to me about God, or Jesus, or Allah, or Buddha, or Vishnu? Not at all, I think that if you truly believe something like that, then by all means you should share it out of compassion. When the JW's show up I invite them in on the condition that after they're done witnessing then I can explain to them why I don't believe in God.

Being rude or militant in your atheism is no way to convince people that you're right.

ETA: The point I'm trying to make in my ramblings is that I don't know if God exists or doesn't, and neither do you. As infinite and amazing as the universe is, there is absolutely no way to know 100% one way or the other. We barely know anything about our own planet, and on the scale of the universe as a whole we know basically nothing.
edit on 27-6-2013 by dave_welch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Of course God told Bush to do so. But then you have to ask yourself the question, What God is Bush's? The answer isn't most people's God. It's the God all TPTB worship. Everyone on a conspiracy board should know this answer.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join