It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jury Whacks Chain College for $13 Million

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Well, that's one way to turn higher education into millions.

I think her case has a very good point though and it's about time someone took this school down about a half dozen pegs, in my opinion. The story she talks about for her case is very similar to others I've heard from students at the college who are at my school for their second attempt at an education. The first, coming from this one specifically or one like it who similarly took their money for degrees not fit for an outhouse in an emergency.

Kerr said she enrolled in Vatterott in 2009 with plans to become a nurse. Though Vatterott does not offer a nursing program, she said a representative told her she could enroll in its medical assistant program, which would help her become a nurse.

But after spending $27,000 in loans and spending 60 weeks in the program, Kerr claimed, she was told she actually had been enrolled in a medical office assistant's program. To get the medical assistant's degree, she would need to take a total of 90 weeks and spend at least $10,000 more.

Of course, the school has some talented spokesmen. Their programs may not help land a job at a burger joint, but they talk real nice.

"We are confident at Vatterott that our systems and admission processes are handled professionally," the statement said. "Our mission is to transform and better the lives of our students through quality, career education. We are proud of this mission and will continue to pursue it with professionalism and integrity."
(Source: Courthouse News)

Unfortunately, the above is not what many a distinctly unhappy customer I've sat along side in classrooms has had to say. Mileage varies dramatically by experience, perhaps.

I'd say this is a 'score one for the good guys' moment and they got some check to their step in scamming people in search of a shortcut.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Being awarded 13 million was a ridiculous amount. Yeah they sure took them down a peg now the cost for this lawsuit will be passed on to other students. I'm sure the other students will enjoy more debt paying for a lawsuit for a person who was too stupid to even check to see if the school even offered what she wanted.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

You know, on that I will agree. I don't see why she needed more than direct damages and perhaps some thousands on top for time lost in pursuing her career.

The rest could have funded A LOT of students into productive lines to replace their own less than valuable paper from that and other similar schools.

I will say I've never seen the benefit of an award "hitting the bad guy" the way this one does and honestly should, yet making an individual very rich in the process who did nothing but be the proverbial "wrong victim" who pushed it.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Seems like 500, 000 dollars is the most she will get. That being said, she is also to blame for not realizing what she was signing up for. If I had counted on my counselors for advice I would have taken many unnecessary classes. I researched what I needed and wouldn't let anyone tell me otherwise.

Peace

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I'd agree with the split blame to an extent. However, many of these people who get scammed are also similar to me at different ages in that it's a second career to start and usually not from a position of luxury in time to get something starting. So, they've come to the point of admitting they need to learn more to improve themselves ...to have the people they look to in helping them be the ones to exploit their ignorance. Something seems especially wrong in that.

top topics

join