It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If anyone lives in northern VA, please go outside.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
If anyone catches this in time... what the hell are those gigantic red light rays in the northern sky?! sunday, means no prom, no light pollution in that direction from my house, and at first i thought they were some kind of anomalie, but they seem to be coming from something. Please, anyone who lives in NOVA, go take a look!

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   
It's all cool, what you are seeing are the Northern Lights! Beautiful, eh?

Check this alert out-Aurora Alert Follows-

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I'll say! It's absolutely beautiful! Thank you for the information.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   
WOW, I have never seen that before. AMAZING. I live in McLean. I see NOTHING any different than any other night. Hmm a couple of stars and ALOT of light pollution. Same as always.

[edit on 11/7/2004 by just_a_pilot]

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Here's a real-time cam from Alaska.

Sky has thin clouds, but you can still see bascally where the streaks are, and definately the redness.

Aurora Web Camera

Misfit

[edit on 7-11-2004 by Misfit]

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Many nights, here in Alaska, I am able to observe. Actually, my buddy just called me from a village, Illiamna, and he said he has never seen them as they are at this moment. Unfortunately, tonight I have dense cloud cover here in South Central Alaska.
The beauty of the lights- it is so hard to put in words! If you are really close to them, say like above the Artic Circle- sometimes you can actually
'hear' the lights.... sounds like a styrofoam cup being crunched up all around you-

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I'm out in the sticks. I was walking down the road smoking, listening to some tunes on my walkman, and i looked up, and saw them. Remember when Spangler saw Slimer? Yeah, that sums it up. I sprinted back here to post about it, lol.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by goregrinder
I'm out in the sticks. I was walking down the road smoking,

Um, what were ya smokin'?

I had to, you were wide open for that one

Misfit

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   
LOLOL yep........ Well, most of Northern Va. Isn't in the sticks. The 703 area code doesn't go that far. BUT I still want some of what he's smokin'!

I have seen the Aurora at our farm in Northern Missouri though. If he is seeing that it probably is really pretty. To many lights here

[edit on 11/7/2004 by just_a_pilot]

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I don't mean to sound so bewildered, i've just never seen them, and it's very dark in my neck of VA, so i got a great look.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Lol, I remember when I first saw them! It is an experience.... we go on clear nights, to Hatcher's Pass which has an awesome view to watch the lights as they dance for you- and they will dance....lol...my Asians go to Fairbanks in the winter time just to view, as they are nightly there. They consider it to be a blessing to newlyweds or something to that effect.
We have all colors here, blues, reds, pinks, greens....very trippy some nights. I have even seen an aurora 'tornado' was that ever trippy.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 12:00 AM
link   
We had an X Class flare earlier yesterday, and the Kp index is off the scale right now...

www.sec.noaa.gov...

[edit on 11-8-2004 by William One Sac]

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I live in South/Central Illinois and I was out with some friends cruising tonight. We looked to the north and saw the lights. It was pretty amazing, we pulled over and just watched them for a while. It was my first time too:p

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Jealous here!

Usually, when the sun is this active, I get a decent view of the Aurora.
Nothing here yet..I am north of Lake Tahoe, and the Skies are CLEAN and CLEAR...Just dark right now...

I'm not giving up, I'll keep looking, and will provide photos if possible...

Space

top topics

join