It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Black Cats in Texas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 11:07 PM
link   
A few years ago i saw what appeared to be a large Black moutain lion on the Red river North of Vernon Tx. Many people around here have similar stories . Yet i have never heard of one being killed or trapped or in any other way coraberated . Any ideas ?

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Is that near Mount Pleansant, TX?

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 12:24 AM
link   
It seems that there are big black cats in other countries as well, most notably Australia. I don't what teh situation is where you are, but in Australia they think they are Panthers which escaped from a zoo a hundred years ago or so. But like in Texas no one has ever cought one or found a carcass.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   
It would not be out of the realm of possibility that you have sighted a Black Panther. When I lived in Alabama the old timers swore they were in the woods-
I never did see one, however, and being an avid outdoorsman( hunter trapper etc) I sure did look though. Thought I heard one screaming one night while in the swamps- could've been a bobcat in heat, though.
Texas is not far, I feel as if they could easily migrate in your area. They still live deep in the swamps of Florida, which, I am sure you are aware of.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I am aware of Florida's panthers . I do wonder if there isn't a black caoted Moutain lion here . I have seen them and they are very big Cats . Its something worth looking into .

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   
There was a black panther spotted near El Reno.OK this past summer. A TV crew filmed it. State game boys still haven't said anything. Always in the past they have said Panthers and Mountain Lions are not in Okla.

I am out in the Panhandle and I saw a large track last week at a center pivot.

Take care.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Panthers/Cougars are making a comeback here in the MidWest... That's just a bit North and East of Texas.

Friend of mine who lives in a rural setting with lots of woods has a pic that he took a couple of weeks ago of a beautiful, tawny Cougar on his back property.

Black Panther is not even remotely out of the question.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Hey Shaman, I am a conservation biologist and I just wanted to let you know that those big black cats may be sightings of black jaguars making their way back up their historic home range. Biologists are studing their movements through Arizona and parts of New Mexico because it has been many decades since they were extirpated from this land. It has taken them this long to try their luck again in the states, but I assure you some are moving north from Mexico. Not all are of the black pigment, but they seem to draw the most attention because they obviously stand out more from their surroundings.

Hope this helps...

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Yes Jaguars are highly likely . There is no shortage of Deer and other prey for them here for sure.

Thanks for the Imput!

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I live in Texas .. I woudl love to see some of the old wild life reclaim some of the land at least. I say people should stop "Looking" and "Hunting" tham and let them be.

*Z*

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 05:52 PM
link   
This jsut reminds me of the Beast Of Essex (Essex, ENLGAND, where I live
). Apparently we have a Black Panther round here that is loose and on the rounds.

Thing is, its been going on for a good while. So its probably the worlds oldest too.
Seriously though, in the US I would probably say escpaed pet one, or a Jaguar as above. You have plenty of cool wildlife there. We jsut have crazy scottish wildcats.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I've got a book that talks about big cats in britan, very interesting. Ever heard of the beast of Guedivan?

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Its very possible. In Canada's east coast Province of New Brunswick, there have been intermittant sightings for decades, even though it was thought the cat had been extinct. And yet, actual evidence of the animal is lacking.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I agree ,I would love to see more native species do well here!

In a U2U a guy told me he had shot a black Jaguar on the North bend of the Red River in 1983 , that was around 200 lbs . They are most likely just never seen by people like many other cats in the wild.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
i am on a hunting lease in mount enterprise, tx and last year my dad and i were driving through the lease to get ready for and afternoon hunt and we saw a big black cat run across the road. so far this year i havent seen it again but have seen a cougar this year.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by lost_shaman
A few years ago i saw what appeared to be a large Black moutain lion on the Red river North of Vernon Tx. Many people around here have similar stories . Yet i have never heard of one being killed or trapped or in any other way coraberated . Any ideas ?

I live in West Texas and we had a panther in our local state park (a small, mountainous area inside of town).

It was killed and removed.

It happens. Exotic pet owners dump problems and those problems survive in the wilds.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarnos
It seems that there are big black cats in other countries as well, most notably Australia. I don't what teh situation is where you are, but in Australia they think they are Panthers which escaped from a zoo a hundred years ago or so. But like in Texas no one has ever cought one or found a carcass.

I have heard a rumour that there was a zoo at Moonbi, near Tamworth in NSW Australia, and a panther escaped from there. I have no idea when this occured though.
I would not put too much stock in this, but it may help if you hear something similar.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I live in Clear Lake, TX (right next to Nasa) and I got 3 of those big black cats living in my house,

top topics

join