It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Kit on a Budget

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Great idea on the tarp and bungees. I always have this in the truck for covering loads anyhow, but yeah, if I had to abandon the truck, this is certainly something I'd take with me. Get a green tarp though, otherwise, it will stick out like a sore thumb. (blue or silver are most common, but so visible).

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

The tarps I mentioned are light blue on one side and dull silver on the other, so yes they are visible. If trying to avoid notice, though, a little camouflage in the form of some bushy brush can take care of that.

My mindset is to simply avoid people, as I don't generally need them. Humans are usually more trouble than they're worth so I missed that.

Any good sources on green or brown tarps cheap? I wouldn't mind having some myself.,..

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

You have some good ideas in your post OP and I like the idea of BoB'ing on a budget, too often I see people go way overboard on costs when it really isn't needed. One thing everyone needs to remember is that there is no standard set of inventory for a BoB. Sure there are basic items that we all will need such as a med kit and knife and 1 change of socks and underwear (trench foot and crotch rot are not fun), but much of what you need in your BoB will depend on your location and your plans for survival.

If you have a remote predesignated BoL that is already supplied you won't need as much gear in your BoB as you would if you plan on going Survivorman and living off the land. So there is really no "right" gear to have in your bag, only "wrong" gear if you have what you don't need or don't have what you will need.

If your BoB is going to be used for surviving off the land I would recommend a good quality bag such as a used MOLLE pack and I would try to stay away from the old ALICE packs, especially with the frame. I've humped many miles with an ALICE on my back and they are not very good at weight distribution and you will end up with a sore back in no time, and the frames for a lack of a better word suck.

While the Jansport bags are cheap, they are lacking in both durability and weight distribution. Before people began to get more interested in prepping you could find some good deals on used military packs at surplus stores but lately they have been raising prices due to the demand.

This is a good MOLLE pack that can be bought for $39.97 from Cheaper Than Dirt. It is durable, has plenty of room for supplies and is comfortable. This time of year my boys and I do a lot of hiking and fishing along with primitive camping and we all use this exact pack. We've had ours for several years and have put them through hell and they are still in excellent shape.

Another suggestion is go with a good first aid kit, actually I would recommend to anyone on a budget to get a basic kit then upgrade to something such as a Field Medic Kit as soon as you can. I have a 6545 General Purpose military first aid kit that you can pick up for around $15 online, but this kit has all you will need for minor wound treatment. Eventually I would suggest adding a scalpel and suture kit as well since an open wound in a survival situation could end in death from infection or blood loose.

The last thing I would add is your knife. Your knife is your #1 tool in a survival scenario and no one should ever skimp when it comes to the selection of a knife. I would also advise against any folding knife as the hinge is a very weak spot. A good knife on a budget that I would recommend, though I never thought I would, is the Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate knife. My son bought one last spring at Wal-Mart for $40 and while I was at first kind of upset that he did I have to say it is a fantastic knife.

I have my old military issue K-Bar and I would honestly compare the BG Ultimate to my K-Bar. It comes with a good sturdy sheath, built in diamond sharpener and magnesium fire starter. In fact I used his knike yesterday to chop down several Cottonwood saplings while we were out fishing for perch and was impressed with the swinging force of the knife. My sons forgot to pack all the fishing rods and I wasn't going to drive an hour and a half back home to get them so we made some.

I know some may read what I've posted and say that it's not really on a budget, but the quality your pack, first aid, and knife should be your biggest focus when putting together a BoB. The rest of your items you can be extremely budget minded on since most of those will be consumables.

edit on 24-6-2013 by Nucleardiver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Any good sources on green or brown tarps cheap? I wouldn't mind having some myself.,..

I got my green ones from Tractor Supply, but I've also seen them at Big Lots. I have some of the blue/silver ones too, but I mostly use them around the ranch. I keep the green one in the truck. I have to replace them every once in a while though, due to wind damage over time.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

We have a TSC here... I'll take a look. Thanks!

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I don't know how you can fit that bike in that backpack. Another thing is that that silvery blanket can be seen for miles. Maybe they will just think you are a piece of silver faced insulation board.

I'd rather have a real gun, something that can stop a car. If it can't damage a car engine or shoot a hole in a car gas tank, it's not worth having. Got to be able to disable a vehicle with it.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

This is a good MOLLE pack that can be bought for $39.97 from Cheaper Than Dirt.

That is one nice pack! Love it!
I may just upgrade to that....

For the medical stuff, I got a lot of more advanced medical supplies to augment the kit at beprepared.com. You can get scalpels, forceps, etc. for a pretty good price, and they can augment your kit well. (that site has lots of cool stuff).

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I'd rather have a real gun, something that can stop a car. If it can't damage a car engine or shoot a hole in a car gas tank, it's not worth having. Got to be able to disable a vehicle with it.

Any gun can take out tires.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

I had a pack like that for awhile, it began to come apart when it got wet, it was a bit overloaded by the way, so don't let it get wet while it's overloaded.

Remember that woven materials stretch when moisture gets into the fibers and acts as a lubricant allowing it to stretch and sometimes come apart, suspend ops in the rain, or cache your gear until it dries out.

When it rains, you are essentially deaf, good to hang tight stay dry and listen close.

I use a VooDoo Tactical Enhanced Tobago Pack, it can be a bit pricey, but the last one I bought I have been using since 2008,$90

Another thing one MUST have is a set of needles for fixing the things we use to carry our stuff, sets of various types of needles can be purchased in various stores including Wal-Fart, a canvas needle works well with dental floss and is really hard to break.$5

A good item for first aid is a bunch of AB pads and ace bandage, vet wrap, even cloth strips and safety pins, you can literally hold someone's guts in with these things, or use em for knee pads. A couple bucks at the thrift store for all of this.

Pelican 1010 and other size cases are perfect for your cell-phone cigs and fire starting goodies, heavy ziplock bags work too but if you stash them critters chew holes in them. This laptop I am typing on now is in a Hardigg Storm Case I bought on Ebay for $72.00. Shock resistant and waterproof, and useful for storing and protecting other stuff if you find a computer useless, and they really aren't any good for anything anyway aside from making a sale easier.

Remember that if you have good gear you can use it for trade in the worst case scenario.

Slow small light and quiet.

Anyway, I have been bugged out since 2004, it's fun, y'all should try doing it instead of just talking about it.

Society is a trap, you die in a cage and never realize you are in one.

edit on 24-6-2013 by MyHappyDogShiner because: ?

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I checked at TSC. They have the green/brown tarps, medium duty instead of the light-duty blue/silver tarps, but they're a bit pricey. The blue/silver 8' x 10' was $9, while the green/brown the same size was $14.

The ones at Harbor Freight are free with a little patience.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Yep, I even have the info for you, on the Green/Brown tarps...(Tractor Supply Company item numbers)

6'x8' = 3502920
8'x10' = 3502938
10'x12' = 3502946
12'x16' = 3502954
12'x20' = 3502962
20'x20' = 3502970

I keep an 8'x10' normally in each truck, but have other sizes in the garage, if I'm expecting I'll need more. I think it holds up better to the wind than the blue/silver ones I've used in the past.
edit on 25-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

If you are going to use a bicycle, might be a good idea to add a luggage rack on the back, and some nylon saddle bags and an under the seat bag, as well as a clip on water bottle. Extra storage space, with no extra weight for YOU to carry. Let the bike do the work. I'd save it for storing found and foraged stuff though, or real bulky (non-essential) items you don't want to carry. In case you have to ditch the bike.

A small bike wrench, patch kit, and other small tools (and trial-size can of WD-40) kept in the under-seat bag can ensure your ability to keep the bike rolling.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Harbor Freight carries camouflage tarps from $4.46 for a 4'6"x 6'6" to $15.99 for a 15'6"x 11'4", I have been using two of these for years, there are also swiss army ponchos available from sportsman's guide at 5 for about $10.00, they are what is referred to as "Alpenflage", and look kinda weird but blend in fine even if they do have a lot of red in the pattern. Not a bad idea to scarf up bits and pieces of camo netting either, comes in handy for being invisiblish....Many times while traveling, the campground charged more if one used a tent, and I just put a tarp on the ground layed my fart sack on it, and folded it over to cover the bag from condensation or rain.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by MyHappyDogShiner

Anyway, I have been bugged out since 2004, it's fun, y'all should try doing it instead of just talking about it.

Society is a trap, you die in a cage and never realize you are in one.

I fully plan to Bug In, in comfort. My BOB is just to get me home, as the majority of the day I'm an hour's drive away, so odds are, if something goes down, I'll not be home when it does. My family will need me to get through it, so getting home is top priority in a SHTF scenario. I have no desire to live outdoors in the Florida heat. I like my AC. I like society. I like the ability to pick up stuff to make dinner at a store. Can I live without it? Yes, but I don't really want to if I don't have to.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

My situation is similar, although I am not far from home at any time. I will be hunkering down here where I have everything I need to survive. I have no desire to fight, no desire to participate in anything to do with any SHTF situation. The only reason to leave would be an overwhelming invasion, in which case the plan is to fall back into the wild and prepare to release Hades itself on the invaders.

As my ancestors said during the Civil War...

My damn land.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

My situation is pretty much the same. We are already bugged out and have been for almost 2 years now, completely self sufficient with off grid electric satellite internet and a plethora of animals we raise for food as well as a large garden.

My problem is that on any given day I can be over 200 miles from home and am sometimes gone for days at a time. My BoB serves as my toolbox to make it back home where I hope I can just ride things out. If we can't though we are prepared for whatever comes our way but I've seen enough conflict in my life and hope it doesn't come to that.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Off the grid electric and satellite internet. That is pretty sweet.

I have to think that the first few months after a SHTF event will be the worst. For that period, we'll just lay low and try to stay hidden (and block and trap the road leading our way, etc.). We may raid some nearby things as long as there isn't anyone else there doing so. I imagine during this time, bandit gangs will be king. Eventually, they'll realize the need for more sustainable supplies, and that's where we'd come in.

We'll be found eventually, no doubt by one or more such gang. So, we'll offer to trade (or a bloody battle). We'll have things they'll need, and offer a resupply point, in exchange for different items we need or could trade to others. No doubt they'll have things on raids they don't need (like ammo for weapons not matching theirs, etc.) So, we'll become a kind of trading post. So, eventually, as civilization picks itself up, we'll not only survive, but thrive.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I agree with your list but you aren't going to survive very long on those supplies in a real life bug out situation. Also I disagree with a co2 pistol I just don't see how that would be of use.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by CDDARmav9

Anything is better than nothing, and the OP has many of the basics covered. Fully agree on the CO2 pistol though (and I have a feeling other posters have convinced the OP of this as well). Still, if the choice is CO2 or nothing at all, a pellet gun is better than nothing (but I'd still go for a pump vs. CO2).

<< 1   >>

join