Survival Kit on a Budget

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I thought I would throw some ideas out for making a light, mobile and inexpensive survival kit for a zombie apocalypse. Any other ideas are appreciated.

This backpack sells on e-bay for $19.99. A pack is important for being mobile.

This canteen can be found here for $4.99.

It turns out the Israeli Military sells water purification tablets extremely cheap. This allows you to fill up your canteen at lakes or rivers, etc. Ebay Link 50 tablets run around $10.00. Notice it is in Israeli, that must mean it's good. And couture.

Although a shotgun is a serious expense. I recommend downgrading to something else if you are on a budget...

How Many FPS is Too Much?

So, go for an air soft or pellet gun with >500 fps. Because that is too much.And we like too much. But don't forget about the pellets and CO2 cartridges, you can find those at Wal-Mart.

That looks kind of slick and sets you back less than $80.00 in all. 500 FPS Combat CO2 Airsoft Pistol (E-bay)

Here is a crowbar for $6.79. Crowbars make better weapons than chainsaws and also help scavenge easier from abandoned buildings. E-Bay: Crowbar

What about transportation?

There you go, check out this monster on Craigslist. I bet you could buy that for $10-$20 and it doesn't need fuel. Although I would recommend a mountain bike.

This pocketknife, believe it or not, only costs $4.29 on E-bay! It even includes a can opener, which is pretty important.

For $1.77 you can get this bad boy, a first aid kit made by the Chinese themselves!

This emergency blanket is less than $2.00 on e-bay! Look at the guy, he looks so warm! And waterproof!

I think that covers most of the basics, except for food needs. Anyone else have any fun / cool / cheap things to add?
edit on 21-6-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I am all about streamlined costs.

Therefore my finances would work like this for the zombie apocalypse...

Food Cost: None, hunt, kill, skin, cook eat, plus gathering any serviceable food crops I come across.
Weapon Cost: None,all ready owned, blades only, easily serviceable with naturally occuring rock, oils I can derive from animal product, and good general care proceedures when in use.
Shelter Cost: Free, made from scavenged crap I find in urban territories, or constructed from trees and plants, protected with mantraps, spike pits, and so on if in a rural setting.
Beer Cost: None. I will hire myself out as a zombie clearance operative, and clear territories so that settlements can spring up. I will demand nothing but ale and other intoxicants as payment.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Totally a good idea, if you have the basics covered then you can basically live off the land. I think low-cost is totally the best. Your ideas are good, actually, this is like a starter kit.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

I figure in that situation, there would have to be a few people living outside of groups, wandering around just taking scalps and doing the native thing. The people trying to bunker down would just die out eventually without someone to scout out, and clear territory of the infestation. Since the best way to achieve that would be with supreme silence, and minimal kit, blades are the way to go. They create low audiological output, they are multifunctional, and they dont run out of ammunition. Also, that means no time wasted picking up shell casings, worrying about ammo count, worrying about when you are next going to break into a garage which has a reloading bench in it, yada yada.

Also, with a blade, I could skin a zombie and steal thier sinew, cut down a yew tree and make a bow, cut some wood for arrows... You can make a whole lot of anything you need as long as you have the nouse and a decent blade or two. I would have to have at least one seperate blade for cooking and hunting food, so as to avoid contaminating my diet with zombie juices.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

That makes a lot of sense, some decent blades make it so that you don't need to worry about ammo running out, etc. I would probably save the pellet gun to be used in a confrontation with other survivors if I needed it.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Some things I'd add... (speaking from someone who has built BOBs (Bug Out Bags) on a budget, and constantly revamped them over the years)

LIGHTERS - Cheap, easy fire source

CANNED FOOD - Cheap, easy to carry, can heat up right in the can, or eat cold. (and lasts a long time). Forget MREs (expensive, not so palatable if you haven't used them before, etc.) A military style can opener is great also, and small, and cheap. But, you can open a can by grinding the top on a stone too, fairly easily, if no opener.

FLASHLIGHT - Even a cheap one will do, but get a rubberized, LED one. In most SHTF events, power will go out, and night gets DARK.....

WHISTLE - Great way to signal someone from a distance.

TOILET PAPER - You'll be glad you did

SMALL RADIO - To find out what's going on. Ideally, will take the same batteries as your flashlight, and carry extra batteries. A hand crank one is good too. They even make ones that can use the crank to charge your cell phone (for as long as it may work).

INFO - Store survival info on your SIM card of your cell phone. If you have a crank charger (mentioned above) you can access a LOT of stored info here, like carrying a library with you.

CASH - In a SHTF event, cash is king (at least early in a crisis). Good idea to have at least $20 with you, if not $100 or more (but in different places throughout your person).

SOCKS - A spare pair of thick socks. If you need to ask why, you're not thinking it through. So many uses.

BANDANA - So many uses you won't believe.

DUCT TAPE - So many things to do with duct tape (bandages, securing parts to a shelter, closing an opening, temporary fixes to things, etc.)

CIGARETTES - Even if you don't smoke, these can be great currency in a SHTF event.

Some changes...

KNIFE - A cheap Swiss Army style knife is going to break pretty quickly. The rule you get what you pay for really applies here. Instead of this, I'd recommend getting a Gerber type multi-tool that has a pliers function (even if a cheaper one). Then, augment with a fixed blade, decent military style (full-tang) knife.

EMERGENCY BLANKET - Fine in a pinch, but if expecting heavy rains, a fairly cheap poncho will work much better. (and is much more flexible, options wise).

BB/PELLET GUN - Unless you are somewhere you can't get an actual firearm, getting a used REAL pistol is a much better option. Those CO2 cartridges don't last so long, and getting a kill shot even on small game isn't easy with a pellet gun. A .22 will fare much better, and isn't much louder. It is more expensive, but used off a private owner probably isn't much more than a high end pellet gun. .22 ammo is small, light, and cheap, relatively speaking. You could easily outlast someone with a bigger gun, in a firefight, because they can only carry so much ammo. (and a .22 is perfectly lethal).

FIRST AID KIT - You'd be better off buying a $5 one from WalMart (by the time you include shipping), then adding some more ($1 store) bandages in there, and a tube of Micitracin (antibiotic).

My basic rules for great additional items to include in my BOB....low price, multiple uses, small size and weight, a lot of bang for the buck...
edit on 21-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Can't state that a quality knife is one of the most important things you'll want and need. Not a swiss army knife, as mentioned it will break and then you're down a very important tool.

Also good footwear. Boots. Long and thick. At least where I am, to help prevent snake bight and stand up to the cold/wet or sweltering heat.

I'd only take food if you're planning a short hop. If it's long term, then you better be able to find food, or no amount of rations will suffice. Thinking is that you don't want to be weighed down any more than you need especially if you have to be on the go.

A bug out, 72 hour bag, will do for the basics in an emergency... but an inch bag, you really want things that will last and help you obtain what you need.

I'm not sure a cheap way to go is the best way. The best way is to get started now and keep adding quality to the kit. Unless, obviously, you are able to score bargain quality goods.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

A cheap solution is better than none...especially if it's all you got, or until you can replace with better gear. And there are some things where cheap doesn't matter (like bandages, for example). As mentioned though, don't skimp on the knife, even if it's the ONLY high quality thing you have. There are some great threads in this forum on knives, made by experts in such things. Check them out.

A Jansport backpack is made pretty well though, and should hold up if it isn't overstuffed. The big thing is, is this a BOB (Bug Out Bag) designed for a 3 day trek to some secure location? Or is it a bag that needs to contain the essentials for living off the land? That will govern what ultimately goes into it.

For me, my needs are more of the BOB variety. Mine is actually a 5 day pack (as I have an hour commute each day, so that hike home could be a long one). But, I also had to make 3 other (more stripped down) BOBs for my household members, so price was important. (they are closer to home, so only 3 day packs, and not as much in the way of camp style gear). Every 6 months, I replace the canned goods and bottled water, consuming those, and putting in new ones.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
What's the airsoft gun for?

Holding people up or chasing them away hoping they dont call your bluff?

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I'm assuming he's thinking small game, but really, need the metal bb's and pellets for that, at least. To a person in a survival situation though, it's just going to tick them off. I know I'd have no trouble charging through a burst of shots from such a weapon to then hack your head off with a machete.

That's why I recommended a REAL firearm. Heck, you can get a NEW shotgun, for just over $100, only slightly more than the airsoft pistol mentioned. And shells are pretty cheap. Sure, it isn't small, but in a SHTF scenario, who cares?

Plus, you don't need to be a crack shot to kill your target.

If you do go for the airsoft/BB gun, at least paint that orange tip black, when everything goes south. It will help your bluffing. (I actually have some EXTREMELY realistic looking, but plastic prop guns, to use as "bait" in traps, etc. or to bluff that we have more armed people, if I don't trust them with a "real" firearm, etc.)

One of these days, I'll have to do a pic of my BOB with all the stuff out, but I'm so loathe to unpack it all and do so, hehe....

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

I'm assuming he's thinking small game, but really, need the metal bb's and pellets for that, at least. T

If that's the case those poor squirrels will suffer horribly if they even die at all. Even a CO2 powered lead pellet gun has trouble taking them clean. I can only imagine how poorly a plastic BB at 500 fps would perform.

That's why I recommended a REAL firearm. Heck, you can get a NEW shotgun, for just over $100, only slightly more than the airsoft pistol mentioned. And shells are pretty cheap.

Shotguns can be had dirt cheap definitely and are far more useful/versatile than an airsoft gun, pellet gun or just a .22. There are a number of pellet guns that will consistently and cleanly take small game as well but they often cost more than a cheap shotgun. Beeman and Benjamins are around $300 for instance.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Beeman and Benjamins are around $300 for instance.

And at that price, you'd be better off with a .22 Rifle or pistol.

CO2 powered lead pellet gun has trouble taking them clean

You can, if at 10 yards or less (with metal pellets or BBs), but with plastic BBs??? I doubt it. (even at 500 FPS)

Paintballs are routinely at 300 FPS (and you can crank them up to around 400 for a good marker). You'd probably have better luck taking out a squirrel with a cranked up paintball gun (especially if you use skull-breaker rounds). But, like the airsoft or BBs, you'll run out of air quick.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Don't just talk about it, do it!.
edit on 21-6-2013 by MyHappyDogShiner because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I have a Crosman break action pellet gun,1000 fps.Got it at big 5 on sale for 99 bucks,and it will ALMOST do everything a .22 will.It will go thru a piece of 3/4 inch pine with no problem! For small game,it will kill them quick.For bigger game,it will put a world of hurt on them.I'd never use it on anything bigger than a coyote for a kill,but it will deter anyone,assuming I get the first shot.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Thanks, Gazrok. I am working on making the same kind of thing at the moment. Also, thanks for the advice, I would need a better knife in addition to the pocket knife.
edit on 22-6-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Thanks for the firearm advice, I don't know much about them. Yeah, I was thinking a combination of small game and also for protection...

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

I do not like your air pistol. It's way too underpowered even for small game. Your price is 80 bucks for that. For the same price I suggest the Crosman Phantom .177 Break Barrel Air Rifle rated at 1200 FPS. www.walmart.com...

I know it's a rifle But - If you must use a pistol, This pistol does 720 FPS for only 64 dollars and it's pump action which I prefer. You don't wanna run out of those CO2 cartridges in the middle of hunting for dinner. Crosman Pumpmaster Classic .177 Caliber Air Pistol www.walmart.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

1200 for a dirt cheap price??!! I'm on that! I love my air rifles,but I do have some bigger stuff,for bigger stuff.Thx for the heads up

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I do not like your air pistol. It's way too underpowered even for small game. Your price is 80 bucks for that. For the same price I suggest the Crosman Phantom .177 Break Barrel Air Rifle rated at 1200 FPS. www.walmart.com...

If prevented from using an actual firearm, the above certainly seems like an excellent choice. At 1000 FPS or more, you'd have no trouble with small game (and as mentioned, pump is better).

Oh, and an INCH bag = I'm Never Coming Home, in case you were wondering....
edit on 24-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I'm gonna post a couple things here I would want if I were going to be out in the wild for a while. All I would need is a good knife, a couple small tools I keep handy, and my wits, but then again that's me.

Go to www.harborfreight.com... and sign up for their free mail ads. It's a little more junk ion the mailbox, but it's worth it. Every so often they advertise their small tarps (7'-6" x 9'-4") for dirt cheap, or even for free with purchase. For the purchase, get a decent sized can of bungee cords, throw the can away, and shove the bungees in your pack. The tarp is wrapped in shrink wrap and is light; toss it in there as-is. Now you have a shelter you can assemble in less than ten minutes between a few trees.

If you know how, you can get clean drinking water from the runoff of the tarp. In a pinch, the plastic shrink wrap can catch enough to get a few quick drinks.

Those tools I mentioned? A one-hand hacksaw and a couple extra blades (not the expensive brittle ones, get something that can bend and not break as easily). Cost: $3 at WalMart and it's light. Use this for cutting small trees to build traps and for making cuts across tree bark, then use your knife to finish cutting a long stretch of semicircular bark from the tree. These are called shingles and can make a fine roof for a more permanent shelter.

Also grab a couple of small (4"?) locking pliers. I got mine for under $1 just walking through a building supply and noticing the sale. They're cheap made, but they are also light and give you another hand when making things you need, like woven wooden baskets, shelters, and traps.

I want a spool of fishing line for the traps too... it's light, strong for its size, and almost invisible... perfect for trip lines. This is in addition to heavier cordage, like paracord.

If you wear lace-up boots (which I recommend and always do), make sure you have a set of those leather laces in them. You can wear boots unlaced in a pinch and use the laces for cordage. Also, wear a belt at all times, for the same reason.

The Swiss army knife is a good idea, but it should not be your main knife... you will need a good sharp knife capable of cutting wood, skin, pretty much whatever. I actually have two main knives: a cheap but good Sheffield Stainless that I always have on me, and a larger hunting blade for heavy work. Keep them sharp...

Shameless plug: Bushcraft on Fire Radio (All Things Survival) airs Thursday from 7:00 - 9:00 Central. Check this forum every Thursday for how to listen.

TheRedneck

top topics

<<   2 >>

join