It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most dangerous cities in America, 2013

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I'm sorry if this has been posted before. I did a search and did not find the current article.

The most dangerous cities in America, 2013

After falling for five consecutive years, the number of violent crimes across the United States rose by 1.2% in 2012. Based on data published by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the increase was even greater in some of America’s largest cities. In 2012, for the third year in a row, Flint, Michigan had the highest violent crime rate in the country.

ETA:
Full Story

Look at the poverty rate in the towns listed. Wow. I think this story really shows us how bad the economy is getting for many Americans.
edit on 6/21/1313 by Martin75 because: edit to add link

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I guess all the cities except Memphis, Tenn. before reading. Surprised they beat out some others I would have suspected.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Notice that those cities have large amounts of gangs. Gangs cause the crime and since being in a gang is now a culture choice it's easier than ever to prey on the local population for more members.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
You have to click like 3 or 4 different links just to get to the full list. I was expecting the information to be provided at the link you added...

This is no offense to you- I know what the dangerous cities are; but seriously. If I click a link to read something, I expect the information to be there and not to have added links to try to entice me to click more.

People think before clicking.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Thanks for posting!

I've never been to America... What surprises me when I read these lists is that no matter all the crime rates and everything, I'm still more afraid of your police than anything else : /

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Hushabye

I apologize, I have added the link

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Martin75

All liberal/progressive/democratic strongholds, I see. No surprise. Except that new orleans fell off the list.

There isn't enough of a population to make Detroit on the list? Has it already been evacuated?

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Ok, i live in michigan. I was just reading the info on Flint (great vacation city.....
and i just read something that blew my mind. He turned down a proposal for a mobile crime unit, which would make Flint safer, because he thinks the money would be better invested in...... making Flint safer..... Seriously? This is the idiot we voted in for governor? What kind of dumb backwards logic is that?

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by dothedew

Dont react to the name of a thing or the proposed purpose of a thing.

Look into what a "violent crime mobile response unit" does, how it operates and then judge whether or not it would help.

Too many people lock onto labels and promises and ignore the reality.

Here is, what I believe to be, the origional proposal: violent crime mobile response unit . doc

It's essentially just more paramilitary troops to act after the fact. The only way it may make Flint safer is if it goes around killing suspects to reduce rates of recidivism. Otherwise it offers no facility to prevent or protect.

The conclusion alone speaks volumes:

Residents of areas with a mobile crime unit, (like Charlotte, NC; Toledo, Ohio; and Austin, Texas), wake up to headlines like “San Diego-based Pacific Tactical Law Enforcement Team presented drug interdiction award” , “13 Police Officers minus 4 drug dealers equals 1 happy hotel owner” , and “Governor’s Drug and Alcohol Abuse Commission gives $2 million to start a Drug Interdiction Team.” These newspaper articles reassure the public that the government is doing their due diligence in protecting them.

Essentially keeping up appearances. All for the low low price of $3 million a year.
edit on 21-6-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Well, i can honestly say that youre right, i didnt know that. Thanks for the clarification. Like you said, i took the title of the police unit at face value...... I like to think im pretty well read up on most things, but apparently even the most minute details have to be scrutinized as well. That being said, i wonder what other plan we could possibly put money into to make that city safe? I mean, call me cold, but im not too worried beacuse the only times i pass through there is when im on my way up north, but still. Itd be nice to hear something about a Michigan city in the news that doesnt require an eye roll, sigh, and head shake.

top topics

join