It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 Billion pixel image of Mars.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   
That is a really cool image, i bet there will be someone looking into this for hours and hours looking for "something" strange.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

It's a white speck.

None of us are there to check it out, so we can guess all we want but we will never know. Could be anything, what do you think it is?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
NASA and us amateurs have put together much better versions of these. I don't know why this messy hodgepodge is even being featured like this.

White balanced, seams are obvious, the resolution is still scaled down. Check out the other ones out there (and I'm not even talking about the ones I've done - others have gone light years beyond).

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by wlasikiewicz
That is a really cool image, i bet there will be someone looking into this for hours and hours looking for "something" strange.

I would be one of them....

I spent a couple of hours last night looking at this photo. Found some rather interesting stuff!

All rocks I am sure, but it makes you wonder what kind of rocks?
How did all of that form like that?

What is that thing under that rock??
And under that rock??
It glitters!!

Is that a reflection off of an eye?!

Must be a gem or crystal under that rock...hmmmm....

I had a blast looking at it all! What an adventure!

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Study geology, and your questions will be answered.

Knowledgeable people are looking at these images all the time, so you could ask them, but you'll probably get an answer like "This is looking like a river dominated delta environment. Overlapping lobes with multiple channels implying frequent avulsion. Would explain the high / low thermal inertia change." or "Inversely-graded, matrix-supported to clast-supported debrite, deposited by a muddy debris flow with various clasts that included armored iceballs (ice now long sublimated)"

www.unmannedspaceflight.com...
astrogeology.usgs.gov...

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by impaired

If you have better images available, please post them. Here or in a new thread, I'm sure everyone would appreciate it.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

People can go on and on and on about debunking rocks, but not one person wants to take a guess at my white spec?

Have you tracked down what specific image that spec is from (considering the image in the OP is a mosaic of many images stitched together).

If you want to start investigating the white speck, a good place to start would be with the original image, considering it may be higher resolution. Actually, there may be several pictures taken on different days of that particular group of rocks in which the white speck you mentioned is sitting. The different pictcures may give you different angles on the object. If you find one of the original images, please tell us so we can look for others.

The original images used for that mosaic were taken by the Mast camera (Mastcam) between October 5 and November 16, 2012 (Sols 59 through 100), and could be found here (the mast camera image browser is on the bottom right of this page):

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

By the way, there is a second similar white object in that image. It is in the sand at about the "11 o'clock" position from the left wheel of the rover, directly in from of the rocks. This white object is included on the panel on the right side of the webpage in which they were pointing out interesting features. They call it "Shiny Object".

edit on 6/20/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
reply to post by impaired

If you have better images available, please post them. Here or in a new thread, I'm sure everyone would appreciate it.

There have been a few threads posted here with some great Curiosity panoramas:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I made some panoramas myself using Microsoft ICE and uploaded them to Photosynth: photosynth.net...

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
This is fantastic image of Mars, thanks!

I'm seeing rivers, ripples in the water and dashing waves..

imageshack.com...

imageshack.com...

imageshack.com...

imageshack.com...

edit on 20-6-2013 by Starpilot80 because: forgot the last link

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Very nice image, thanks for sharing! I love looking at Mars/Moon terrain.

Now I predict a couple threads in the next few days claiming "UNDENIABLE PROOF" of aliens/structures supposedly seen in this image...

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

Geology was one of my favorite sciences.
I am always picking up rocks where ever I go

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace
reply to post by Darkblade71

Knowledgeable people are looking at these images all the time, so you could ask them, but you'll probably get an answer like "This is looking like a river dominated delta environment. Overlapping lobes with multiple channels implying frequent avulsion. Would explain the high / low thermal inertia change." or "Inversely-graded, matrix-supported to clast-supported debrite, deposited by a muddy debris flow with various clasts that included armored iceballs (ice now long sublimated)"

If you'd ask someone on UMSF, of course you'll get an answer like that!

Why? Because they're not allowed to openly discuss anything that would somehow relate to astrobiology or reach beyond current paradigms. Their T&C's don't let them do that:

1.3 Astrobiology may not be discussed here, even in the context of a mission with those stated goals. This includes other banned topics such as SETI, "Red Rain", alien visitors, exobiology, biosignatures, microorganisms, fossils et cetera.

Source: www.unmannedspaceflight.com...

Don't get me wrong: I respect the UMSF community & the profiles of their members. But they still couldn't address anything like fossils or possible traces of life even if it was undeniably shown on an MSL image and backed by further analysis.

Apart from that, it can't hurt to have a geological background ... I fully agree!

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   

i have know idea! Excellent eye. Maybe trash from landing. But it should really be checked.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

Yeah! I hear ya. I hate that when these shelton types do that. Im like man i should of got my doctorite in bio physist stuff. Then i could hang out in my room with my the truth is out there x files poster. And write these post instead of working for nasa. And some of them here claim these sheltons put together better pictures of the arizona dessert better than nasa! GEEEZ I MUST BE DUMB! I better just read the nasa jpl sites instead. They must put it in layman terms for lowly old carpenters such as myself. Any way thanks that was one of the best laughs ive had all day! Biluminary fusion pulsar white dwarf star for you!

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Really cool stuff. I could waste several hours looking at this. By the way do any of you guys know of any other Venus surface pictures other than the ones the Russians took with Venera 13?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join