It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question about the bible.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I've thought about this alot. I'm a spiritual person; not religious. I'm not a believer in organized religion, or anything like that. I have my own beliefs.

However my question is this: Aside from the bible itself. Is there ANY -REAL- evidence supporting the claims in the bible? Any records to show Jesus actually existed? Any first-hand accounts written that aren't a part of the bible? Or does all the evidence come from the bible?

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jjsr420

Remember the bible is a collection of books from multiple sources. Unfortunately written and rewritten by man.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjsr420
I've thought about this alot. I'm a spiritual person; not religious. I'm not a believer in organized religion, or anything like that. I have my own beliefs.

However my question is this: Aside from the bible itself. Is there ANY -REAL- evidence supporting the claims in the bible? Any records to show Jesus actually existed? Any first-hand accounts written that aren't a part of the bible? Or does all the evidence come from the bible?

The Bible is 66 Books by 40 different authors that all testify to the same evidence. There are a variety of other texts that claim to know of Christ, but many have been labeled heretical because they promote unbiblical doctrine. For Christ himself, Jospehus in 'Antiquity of the Jews' mentions him

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
That's my point. I'm looking for something OUTSIDE the bible that gives credence to Jesus.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

I have a hard time with the Old Testament. I like the New Testament. I tend to always find answers in life in this book.

“Evidence” I can think of is other cultures accounts from around the world that there was a great flood. Doesn’t mean that the Noah story is true, just means there could have been a large flooding event that the story was based on.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jjsr420

Alchemy writings do say that Jesus existed but that the timing is wrong. I can't find any other info on it other than that, I don't have access to the necessary books to investigate farther.

It isn't the bible that is a problem, it is some of the interpretations that are flawed about it's content. I guess people see what they want to see and avoid the truth. I see a lot of good in the writings of the new testiment but I see that people do not follow it. Believe and be baptized is all we have to do and try not to sin. Most of the ten commandments are good policy, the trouble is that nobody follows them if they interfere with their way of life. Thou shall not steal has been twisted by society to allow deceiving others out of their money by selling them something they don't need or more than they really need.

I am actually more of a spiritual person and don't go to church. I do believe in god and do believe there are some sort of beings that are considered angels. I am trying to figure out what these beings really are.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jjsr420

Although I haven't seen them for myself I have heard and read that there are ancient records from the time of the rule of Pontius Pilot that mention Jesus a few times. The Romans by that time were supposedly meticulous record keepers. I saw this on the news and read it in the newspaper many, many years ago, so I would have no idea where to begin in researching the claim.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

That's my point. I'm looking for something OUTSIDE the bible that gives credence to Jesus.

the bible is many books and Authors Put together into one. These books were found in different location in the middle east. thats as much proof your going to get.

Multiple accounts, multiple authors, multiple books, All tied together under one book

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
So.....can anyone get ahold of anything mentioned in any of the posts and link an image(s) here?

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Josephus (Jewish historian), Tacitus (Roman senator) & The (Babylonian) Talmud all referenced Jesus. Outside of the bible

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
A question? just one?..lol

I have read this book, It's called "The Chronicles of Narnia" and its real. I am Chroniclian and we have been spreading the word of Narnia to save your souls from..."

skeptic guy ..."where is the proof? thats all I need, just a shred"

Chroniclian ..." Thats Soooo easy.. I can prove that all 10 million outlandish things are true!"

skeptic guy... " ok, lets have it. I am ready to join you and save souls!"

Chroniclian... "here"

skeptic guy... "dude..dude..this is just the book you were telling me about! thats your proof mate?"

Chroniclian... "what more proof do you need?.(getting angry now).Plus, look at all of us! thats MORE PROOF!"

skeptic guy... "whoa, yeah, that seals the deal dude.. the book is proof of the book!! AWESOME!!!"

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
No not really. Some of the places and non major characters (Like King Herod) are, but there is no evidence of any of the twelve, noah, moses, joseph, mary, etc. The Josephus text is up for debate. I think its a later addition. The text that describes Christ doesn't flow with the rest of the text. Its not quoted by anyone except Eusibius in the 3/4 century. Some think he added it. Josephus also wrote a lot about other people during that time, but only wrote a paragraph about the greatest person to walk the earth? Most of the other evidence is well after the time time of Jesus's death (32 AD).

Some other items (some slightly off topic)

No evidence for a place called Nazareth

Stavros or stauros which is translated as cross in today's bibles is actually translated as "pole, or stake". The cross was a later adoption.

The trinity wasn't developed until the Council of Constantinople in 360 AD. It was discussed to some degree earlier, but not in its final form until then.

The rapture wasn't even discussed until the 1800's

The earliest gospel is Mark and it paved the way for the other gospels. The most important verses, Mark 16:9-20 were a later addition. Mark is dated to around 70 AD but we don't have a copy until around 200 AD (Fragment p45).

Both Easter and Christmas fall on Pagan holidays. Even the name Easter is take from the pagan name Eostre. The bunny symbolizes fertility. The tree, easter eggs, mistletoe, gift giving, etc. are all of pagan origin.

The flood story is taken from the Epic of Gilgamesh

The Instruction of Amenomope and Proverbs 22-23 are similar

Then theres the debate of Christianity taking practices/rituals/items from Mithraism, Zoroastrianism, Hinduism, and a whole host of other religions. Its murky water here but the info is out there.

edit on 19-6-2013 by KidOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jjsr420

Most of the stuff I know is from some Alchemy books I was reading and from watching TV shows or reading articles in magazines and books over the year. I also joined in on an online world religion class through Harvard University and read the articles and watched their videos when the daughter took the class. None of this is going to be easy to link to online, I have ten years of occasional research on the subject....I also had forty more years of reading articles and watching documentaries when they seemed interesting before the last ten years.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jjsr420

OP the you know as the CHRIST LORD JESUS SPIRIT/SOUL/ETERNAL ENERGY in ancient times would of perhaps carried a different name...

This is why 1 does not fall into the subjectivness of name following (for GOD(s) and or LORD(s) CREATOR for doing so can lead many in lost data circles as many attempt to track or follow a being deity by name and not intent, for more the intents and deeds said to of been done be the SON.. The better it seems to recognize the.

Note: if you believe and can come to conclusion to who GOD/LORD even CREATOR may be. Then YOU can better SEE the energies they carry and acknowledge they DID and DO have OFFSPRING.

NAMASTE*******

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
and so research COMPILE and conclude based on / from ACTS performed

LOVE LIGHT ETERNIA*******

link   

Originally posted by tdk84
Josephus (Jewish historian), Tacitus (Roman senator) & The (Babylonian) Talmud all referenced Jesus. Outside of the bible

Other than you telling me this, can you SHOW any evidence?

link   

Originally posted by HanzHenry
A question? just one?..lol

I have read this book, It's called "The Chronicles of Narnia" and its real. I am Chroniclian and we have been spreading the word of Narnia to save your souls from..."

skeptic guy ..."where is the proof? thats all I need, just a shred"

Chroniclian ..." Thats Soooo easy.. I can prove that all 10 million outlandish things are true!"

skeptic guy... " ok, lets have it. I am ready to join you and save souls!"

Chroniclian... "here"

skeptic guy... "dude..dude..this is just the book you were telling me about! thats your proof mate?"

Chroniclian... "what more proof do you need?.(getting angry now).Plus, look at all of us! thats MORE PROOF!"

skeptic guy... "whoa, yeah, that seals the deal dude.. the book is proof of the book!! AWESOME!!!"

the Chronicles of Narnia, written by one person, The bible, is Multiple accounts, multiple authors multiple books. All tied together under one book

Clement of Rome mentioned at least eight New Testament books (A.D. 95). Ignatius of Antioch acknowledged about seven books (A.D. 115). Polycarp, a disciple of John the apostle, acknowledged 15 books (A.D. 108). Later, Irenaeus mentioned 21 books (A.D. 185). Hippolytus recognized 22 books (A.D. 170-235). The New Testament books receiving the most controversy were Hebrews, James, 2 Peter, 2 John, and 3 John.

Read more: www.gotquestions.org...

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jjsr420

If you Google there names they each referenced Jesus...

A quick Google

www.probe.org...

in depth review of the references for and against.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
There is no real evidence supporting Jesus and many events and characters of the bible. As a lot of the stories of the bible were influenced by similar stories. Like Noah's Ark was influenced by the Epic of Gilgamesh and has similarities with other deluge stories. The story of Sargon or Akkad being sent into the water and drawn out is similar to Moses being put into the water to hide him. The name Moses actually means to draw out. It's possible a small group of people where real in the past. Like King David and King Solomon. But with the stories it's hard to see if they're 100% accurate of their lives and the time period.

Link

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by jjsr420

Here is another book that mentioned Jesus , the Quran , he was mentioned 25 times in this book .

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join