It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SOHO Image Question???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
For the heck of it, I made a movie from SOHO from June 1 to June 17. As it was playing through, something caught my eye and if someone could give an explanation, I would appreciate.

Not sure whether these are:
1. Objects appear to be all flying in the same direction at varying distances from the lens or
2. Something on the lens

If these are objects from the 16th, where are they heading, not sure which way the camera would be facing to capture their path.
Note: to me the one down by the time stamp looks to be the shape of a rock with a trail?
The time stamp on the photo is June 13 at 23:36
edit on 18-6-2013 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-6-2013 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

charged particles hit the detectors and cause white specks and flashes all the time. I couldn't see the movie, just a single image.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

These are cosmic rays hitting SOHO's CCD array. Any streak(s) you see like this for a single frame are cosmic rays, generally from the Sun.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
They all are oriented in same way. They are high-charged particles from the Sun hitting the camera. Maybe there was flare.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatnext21
Not sure whether these are:
1. Objects appear to be all flying in the same direction at varying distances from the lens or
2. Something on the lens
It's not something on the lens.

The objects may simply be moving at a different velocity than the spacecraft, which doesn't mean they are "flying", it means they have a different orbit around the sun.

As you probably know the Earth has "meteor showers" periodically as the Earth and meteoroid debris fields cross paths, and my guess would be what this image shows is meteoroids or micrometeoroids similarly crossing paths with the spacecraft.

Someone was keeping a list of these streaks at one time but it's no longer updated:

lasco6.nascom.nasa.gov...

This is a list of LASCO images marred by streaks which are
interpreted to be dust or debris near the telescope aperture.
05-Aug-2003 18:30 C2 Multiple parallel streaks of varying
length, thickness, brightness, NE-W.
06-Aug-2003 11:06 C2 Multiple short tracks in S and NW,
varying length and width.

Originally posted by Thebel
They all are oriented in same way. They are high-charged particles from the Sun hitting the camera. Maybe there was flare.
It seems unlikely these are coming from the sun. The camera is pointed directly at the sun. Cosmic rays from various sources can cause streaks on the detector, but I don't think you'd get a bunch in parallel like in the OP image.
edit on 18-6-2013 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
thanks everyone i did a search for this and found nothing otherwise i would not have posted, very knowledgeable group here on ATS. thanks again

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Did you find this page in your search? It's got pictures of SOHO artifacts but not the one you asked about:

SOHO images artifacts

However it does mention cosmic rays, and shows this image of cosmic ray streaks:

As you can see there are streaks but they are not all parallel.

The parallel feature is why I think the image you referenced might be dust or debris like micrometeoroids.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
That is probably just the Pledian Fleet. No worries they are are part of the Galactic Federations and are here to help! Or so I have been told...hehe

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Did you ever take a look at that list and see all the notations made about their observations?

25-May-96 7:40 C3 Suspicious blobs
13-Jun-96 2:31 C2 Is this debris?
22-Jun-96 4:36 C3 DAB Long thin streak (tumbling?).
7-Jul-96 13:12C3 Suspicious streak in SW diffs.
4-Mar-97 11:21C3 Inverted-check mark. (Bounce?)

just a few of them

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatnext21

Did you ever take a look at that list and see all the notations made about their observations?

4-Mar-97 11:21C3 Inverted-check mark. (Bounce?)
I looked at some, but since it's a long list, not the entire list.

The "bounce?" is interesting, because I don't know what could bounce off of what that would show up in the image as an inverted check mark.

Without seeing the image they are talking about it's hard to say, but this looks a little like an inverted check mark and my first guess would be a coincidental appearance of two cosmic rays. In this case they aren't exactly connected.

sohogallery.50megs.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

It may also be bits of thermal insulation, like what caused these much more dramatic streaks back in 2003.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

I don't know none of the pics posted look anything like the pic i posted. They are all heading in the same direction at varying distances. I have looked up unusual SOHO pics and nothing is close.

I also captured one from the other SOHO camera Lasco C3 and it seems to have a few of the same things in it. It has a slightly different time stamp at 23:42

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

The image in the link I posted is an extreme example, it's quite possible that a less dramatic flaking of the thermal insulation caused a couple particles to go by the CCD. Notice the smaller, more background, streaks in the 2003 image. They're similar to the streaks in the image you posted.

Also, this was my source for the link I posted: Unusual streaks detected in LASCO-C3 (2011).

new topics

top topics

join