It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Superman: Flying to a church near you

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
This is kind of disturbing to me. At a time when our country is basically in a "cold civil war over" over religion is it really responsible for the studio to be doing this? I feel that we need to be trying to save America from being destroyed by religion- not catering to it. Of course the studio can do what they want, but I think this is wrong and it makes we wonder why they feel the need to do this. Are they just short of customers and looking for new customers, or is this just corporate America trying to enslave us to the church? So much for the "liberal media".

religion.blogs.cnn.com...

Baltimore, Maryland (CNN) - As the new Superman movie takes flight this weekend, filmmakers are hoping the Man of Steel lands not only in theaters, but also in pulpits.

Warner Bros. Studios is aggressively marketing "Man of Steel" to Christian pastors, inviting them to early screenings, creating Father’s Day discussion guides and producing special film trailers that focus on the faith-friendly angles of the movie.

The movie studio even asked a theologian to provide sermon notes for pastors who want to preach about Superman on Sunday. Titled “Jesus: The Original Superhero,” the notes run nine pages.

“How might the story of Superman awaken our passion for the greatest hero who ever lived and died and rose again?” the sermon notes ask.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by CB328

OH OH! Looks like Bibleman has some competition!

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Although I'm pagan, I don't see a problem with this.

They're using popular culture images and suggestions to make religion more appealing to people already in church (membership is declining there.) While this is going to appeal to some, it's going to Really Annoy some of the hardcore faithful who want Biblical messages rather than pop culture discussions.

It's not mandated, it's just a suggestion. I find it interesting but nothing to be concerned about.

What, specifically, do you see as a troubling possibility?

link   
reply to post by CB328

Who cares? Why is this a major issue for you?
edit on 16-6-2013 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by CB328

You don't figure that comparing Superman to Jesus Christ isn't a pretty nasty slam against Christ? I think it's unbelievable that Hollywood is SO out of touch with the near 80% of America that identifies as Christian, they could EVER see this as a good idea that would be well taken by those Faithful enough to attend Church regularly.

Perhaps it would be easier to see if they sent Superman to Mosques and said he was like the Prophet Mohammad without the devices to have made flight possible in Mohammad's trip to view what he was shown, according to their Faith.

Ouch..... Given how severely anti-Faith Hollywood has been outside of perhaps Mel Gibson (and he paid a dear price for that, too...profits notwithstanding), I think this is among the most tone deaf things I've ever seen Hollywood do. What a cheap, cheesy and offensive marketing tactic. Now I KNOW I won't be seeing their stupid little movie. I'll hang onto my copies of the first Superman Movies when a movie was just a movie and connection to anything real was entirely coincidental.
edit on 16-6-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Sounds like a great idea.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/iv5176f461.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Um do you know the story of Superman?

It was written as an allegory to the Jewish Messiah and by proxy the Christian one...Hebrew word for god is El kinda like Kal-El, Jor-El or the house of El...

In superman it even states he sent his only son to help mankind...pretty sure that is in the Christian bible...

Superman is a Pop Culture Christ really surprised at anyone who doesn't know that, but then I read a lot of comics as a kid.

I am not surprised to see Hollowwood trying to generate revenue by promoting it in Churches. Anything to make a buck...

I find Superman inspiring, but I am curious why you don't or you see this as a threat? I am not a Christian, and I believe we do not need to be rescued but I hope that someday we will find the Superman within ourselves...
edit on 16-6-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
maybe they are hoping that affiliation with
the churches will lift the superman curse

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Superman as Christ Comparison
footsoldiers4christ.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

I am not surprised to see Hollowwood trying to generate revenue by promoting it in Churches

I just have a feeling that this isn't just a marketing ploy. I think they are trying to encourage the religious fundamentalists keep clinging to their beliefs, which is very irresponsible and dangerous IMO. They already bomb people around the world be cause of their twisted version of christianity and many would like to do the same here and I think we should not be encouraging them.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
the irony of all of this is, that you shouldn't be focusing on the "jesus" likeness, because it isn't important. Superman, as well as Jesus, is a "non-existant-entity". It's the other parts of the story that are interresting ... because the surroundings, have a history. And it's the "who-is-who" that is not easy to tell apart.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I was involved in Religion for 15 years until I recently came out of it last fall. I did not leave Religion because "religion is lame"; or "a form of mind-control" or a "massive conspiracy". [actually that latter reason might have some basis] I left it as a result of questioning it on its own grounds and on its own terms-- finding that its source of Revelation- the written Scriptures were not entirely consistent, most particularly, the teaching about Hell. And, the best explanations I got from respected scholars and teachers were unsatisfactory.
I guess my point is-- in my 15 years as both a minister and a layman, I never really encountered the problems most people complain about regarding Religion. Sure, there were maybe a handful of Christian elitists, but across the board the majority of Religious people I knew were normal people who wanted to make the world a better place and they sincerely believed Christ could do so. Which, by the way, I still believe Christ is real and truly has a power that is beyond explanation and is above demonic forces.
I want to express how this constant ripping on Religion is old and worn out. Religion isn't society's problem-- insensitive, non-empathetic people are. In fact, the people who rip on Religion aren't much better than the religious people they are ripping on. They are probably even more judgmental and critical than the religious. Please stop pointing at Religion, and instead point at yourselves or even the ones who are truly responsible for society's ills--- greedy sociopaths who occupy real positions of power.
edit on 16-6-2013 by chalbert36 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Superman is a Messianic-themed character developed by American Jews. When you look at, or break-down the character of Superman, you find many parallels with the Judeo-Christian concept of the Messiah. Sometimes I think he leans more toward Judaism's vision of the Messiah, but the Christian concept equally pervades the character's persona. The main difference in the Christian perspective is their Messiah gives up some of his power to suffer and die for the world.
The parallels between Superman and the Messiah can be seen in the following:

1) Superman comes 'from above' and is sent to Earth
2) He is an only son
3) He has a common nature to man-kind, but he is not a mere man
4) His purpose is to direct and lead people toward moral good
5) He acts as a savior-- saving people from temporal dangers
6) He has superpowers that can manipulate nature

The Jewish concept of a Messiah puts more emphasis on temporal and physical abilities as the Jews traditionally believed their Messiah would save them from social oppression and establish a kingdom of justice and peace. The Christian Messiah is "supernatural": He exhibits power over nature even to the point of rising from the dead. But the Christian Messiah does not arrive in any extravagant form (no cool costume or super-styled hair). And His purpose is not only to direct and lead people toward a moral good, but to grant spiritual power and satisfy their debt of sin through the suffering of the Cross.

It's no wonder that Superman would be used to appeal to Christians.
edit on 16-6-2013 by chalbert36 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Lest we forget:

And sometimes I despair the world will never see
Another man like him.

Superman's Song - Crash Test Dummies

Tarzan wasn't a ladies' man
He'd just come along and scoop 'em up under his arm
Like that, quick as a cat in the jungle
But Clark Kent, now there was a real gent
He would not be caught sittin' around in no
Junglescape, dumb as an ape doing nothing

[Chorus:]
Superman never made any money
For saving the world from Solomon Grundy
And sometimes I despair the world will never see
Another man like him

Hey Bob, Supe had a straight job
Even though he could have smashed through any bank
In the United States, he had the strength, but he would not
Folks said his family were all dead
Their planet crumbled but Superman, he forced himself
To carry on, forget Krypton, and keep going

Tarzan was king of the jungle and Lord over all the apes
But he could hardly string together four words: "I Tarzan, You Jane."

Sometimes when Supe was stopping crimes
I'll bet that he was tempted to just quit and turn his back
On man, join Tarzan in the forest
But he stayed in the city, and kept on changing clothes
In dirty old phonebooths till his work was through
And nothing to do but go on home

Lyrics

I haven't seen the movie yet, and won't be hearing any Superman themed sermons. But I've always liked this song, ever since I first heard it.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Sad part is they see a market for it. See the Christian church wants so bad to be apart of the culture, to the point that they will justify using clips from Hollywood movies to make their message "relevant"

I have been apart of service planning and we naively, at the time sought movie clips that helped illustrate a point in the pastors message. Now there might be a time where Hollywood gets it right, in communicating the struggles in relationships, but you don't show the dinner scene in When Harry Met Salley in a corporate church service. There are better ways.

Pastors don't need Hollywood to illustrate any life lesson. The bible and the life of Jesus is sufficient.

edit on 17-6-2013 by Observationalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Superman is a comic book character .. at best, modeled after Jesus.

But Jesus..who Christians and Muslims know.... is real. He will return to defeat the anti-Christ.

May Isa al-Masih (Jesus the Messiah) return soon.

God Is Great!

edit on 18-6-2013 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

top topics

join