It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for ex servicemen and college students.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I teach English P.T in China at an adult education center, so it gives me the chance to meet teachers from many other countries, I was talking to one American who I've known for afew months and his going back to the states to study law.

As we talked on, he served in the air force for 4 years (not sure what he did, he was abit shady on that), anyway he said after fulfilling his service term the military would cover any education costs after he finishes, so he decided to study law, which is about $250,000 !!!
He said it's a fairly good deal and didn't understand why other people took advantage of the benefits, he said school fee's were insanely high since the government is throwing loans at anyone.

End point being, is this true ??? I mean it sounds like a fairly good deal, Has anyone here actually taken advantage of these benefits ? Why aren’t more people doing this?
If you're a college student would you choose to servce for a period of time to get thoese benifits ?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
My college is paid for up to four years. They pay for tuition, books, and other fees. They also pay me monthly just to go full-time. A pretty good amount too. Enough to live comfortably.

reply to post by crackerjack

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
It's true that the GI Bill helps with tuition, but it doesn't necessarily pay for everything. First, it depends if you have the Montgomery GI Bill or the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Then it depends on where you live and which school you go to. It's a bit complicated, but if you are a resident in one state and go to public college in that state, then the GI Bill should cover your tuition. However, if you go to school in another state, or if you go to a private school, the GI Bill probably won't be enough to pay for everything.

For example, I used my GI Bill at a university in a different state and the tuition was about twice what the GI Bill covered. Nonetheless, it was a huge help to have and anybody in the military should take advantage of it. As for your friend, I don't think the GI Bill would cover a $250,000 education in any conditions.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

It has been about 30 years since I took advantage of the GI Bill so things may have changed since then.

In order to receive the assistance you were required to be actively enlisted, pass the AFPT, and maintain height and weight requirements.

And Yes it is FREE Money just sitting there waiting to be used. In addition to the GI Bill there are also other grants and assistance.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
This is WHY Illinois is the BEST state for military..

we have whats called the IVG..Illinois Veterans Grant.. if you serve 4 yrs, get Honorable Discharge, you will get WAIVED TUITION to ANY STATE sponsored college..

Thats right, for 4 yrs, NO TUITION, the GI BILL, become POCKET MONEY, to pay for living, so you can ACTUALLY focus 100% on school.

The only other state even close to as good is Texas, but they suck still, because you cant draw GI bill with their college plan.

SO.. YES.. only people from Illinois are SMART when they join... Ignorance is no excuse, if you join the military from another state... ha- ha.. sucks to be you..lol

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

For someone who acts as though they are educated I find your response to be somewhat Sloppy and Amateurish.

Here are the provisions of the IVG

If you: have served at least one year of federal active duty service in the Armed Forces of the United States; or served on federal active duty service in a foreign country during a time of hostilities in that country and were honorably discharged after each period of federal active duty service; and/or are honorably serving** you may be eligible for the Illinois Veteran Grant (IVG) Program. Any member of the Illinois National Guard or a Reserve component of the Armed Forces of the United States who meets the eligibility requirements is considered a qualified applicant for the IVG Program.

IVG

And you are right, Ignorance is No Excuse so you should do your research before posting your facts.

Maybe you should have been using your "Pocket Money" to further your education.
edit on 15-6-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by OperationLovestrike

Sweet!
His from Texas, he did say GI grant, good for you and him I guess.
I just cannot understand why people are not taking advantage of it.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Because most people are interested in obtaining a higher education, most people are not interested in the military at all.

Allot of people believe that if they sign their name to join the military that they are going to be shipped off to war and killed. They believe that No education is worth that.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

What's the value of a human soul? Of it's integrity? It's mental stability? It's honor?

What is the cost of trauma?

Those are the questions you should be asking. Sure the military 'offers' you a good deal, but soldiers may leave whole, but they come back broken.

That's because they know what they do is wrong and other than some very limited circumstances, causes more harm in the world than good. So if you can do that, and feel like you didn't help imperialists keep other people in check for financial and political gain, then go right ahead.

Me personally? Well the above pretty much spells out what I think.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Well I do understand and that's the reason why my friend joined the A.F, but your saying that everyone who joins the Mil will sell their soul to the devil and you WILL be shipped off to do the dirty work???
He said he spent most of his time in an office in Texas, he said he'd never join the Army or Marine Core, fore the reasons you mentioned above.
So he told me the best gigs are the Air force or Navy.

EDIT TO ADD: I think you might have upset the apple cart here a little, as many members on ATS are vets, just saying....

edit on 16-6-2013 by crackerjack because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-6-2013 by crackerjack because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join