It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen allegedly bullied for being Canadian quits U.S. school

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
www.cbc.ca...

A 15-year-old boy in Upstate New York alleges that two of his teachers teased him so much about being Canadian that he became depressed, prompting his mother to pull him out of school.

His teachers! Grown adults who should be able to behave themselves but prove themselves to be no more capable of being sensible than most of the students.

“They’d say things like ‘Canada’s full of communists. They club baby seals. That my opinion doesn’t really matter because I’m a Canadian,’” Noah Kilpatrick said by phone from Watertown, N.Y. “The first couple times I thought it was joking, and then it just kept going, even after I said, ‘Hey, I’m just as American as you are, I have dual citizenship.’ They still didn’t care and they kept doing it.”

I've never happened across a better example of US political madness than this. It's a Christian school(!), good Christian behaviour from these teachers. And, of course, the 'head pastor'/principle 'stands by the integrity' of his staff. SMH.
edit on 6/13/2013 by Monger because: Link

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Well, at least he is not gay.. or this would be a nation-wide story.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
Well, at least he is not gay.. or this would be a nation-wide story.

I wonder if the teachers are
like so many in the christian run residential schools in canada were

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Monger

This bullying garbage is really dumb and politically correct garbage.

I did a poll today that asked about bullying....my answer was kids are too sensitive these days.
That would be just another day at school for me in my day.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
And they say the same things about Americans in Canada.

"bullying' happens every where, and over anything.

Schools have never been a 'kind' place.
edit on 13-6-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

IMO that kid should grow a backbone and tell those teachers where to put it.

Bullying by adults doesn't end because you get your parents involved, it ends when YOU the individual stops putting up with it.

But yeah, kids are way too sensitive these days. That's one of the byproducts of telling them that they're all winners and should be proud of themselves when they accomplish nothing.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

That's true. However, I have been bully and I hated being the target of jokes and being an outcast. Now I could care less. But as a young person it feels like the world is against you. Like you don't really matter at all. We should start teaching young people self-respect and to respect others.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Oh Boo Hoo.....suck it up Girl pants...it's called Banter/a Ribbing/ Poking fun at.....welcome to the big bad world...it's gonna get harder. Good Luck with that.

link   
How is that even bullying, sounds more like light hearted teasing at the most. Kid needs to learn to roll with it. it really does not sound bad at all.

link   
Back in the day if I was bullied by kids I could always beat the crap out of them however I don't think I would have had a chance against a teacher.

I see a difference here.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
If he was just being teased by other kids then I would definitely tell the boy to grow a pair, but since this case involves the teachers I think he did the right thing to talk to his parents about it.

It had been going on for months, so much so that he began keeping a log of the teasing AND after a while even the kids joined in the teasing as well... Utterly despicable.

The funny thing is, those ignorant teachers and kids probably don't know JACK SQUAT about the rich Canadian heritage to begin with.

*There is such a thing as poking fun at someone jokingly and there are definitely some over-sensitive kids out there, but if you're doing for months on end and you're being told to stop, after a while it's harassment (imo) and teachers should not be taking part in this.
edit on 13-6-2013 by Dominar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Bullying by adults doesn't end because you get your parents involved, it ends when YOU the individual stops putting up with it.
reply to post by tothetenthpower

This.

I had a teacher who picked on me when I was in 8th grade. Finally complained to my mom....and she told me to deal with it. She gave me advice, but said it was up to me to handle the situation.

So I followed her advice, screwed up my courage, and asked the teacher about it one day after class. We discussed things, and I never had another problem with him again.

That was hard, but it may also have been the most valuable lesson my mother ever taught me.

link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
Back in the day if I was bullied by kids I could always beat the crap out of them however I don't think I would have had a chance against a teacher.

I see a difference here.

I know a few Teachers who were put on their dumplings for over stepping the mark....others escaped without a scratch.

For me....Belt/the strap/corporal Punishment just about everyday in English for not doing my homework...
Nowadays that would be seen as cruelty and a case for a assault charge against said teacher....Me...i just saw it as a fair trade off..and if i told my parents about me getting the belt for not doing my homework... my troubles would have doubled..

link   
Well everyone in America knows whose fault everything is!

Sorry... couldn't resist. Really... (BTW.. 2 sentences are rough for language. Plug ears for those couple words
)

Seriously? I think others have a point on one hand. The kid should have told them where to stick their cultural ignorance and elitism. England may be a distant relative for national relations but Canada is our brother nation on this Continent and the one on Earth we have the most in common with. (Government idiots not withstanding...North or South of the border).

On the other hand, I can well understand how a child could feel double teamed by not only adults but adults in authority. What would have happened had they been told what bodily opening to shove their little 'tude? I'm thinking the poor kid would have served his next school year, in full perhaps, as in-school suspension.

Adults should know better. TEACHERS absolutely are unforgivable and in a border community? What the heck is their problem? Perhaps they need to relocate. Maybe Laredo, Texas would be more to their liking.

edit on 13-6-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by neo96
And they say the same things about Americans in Canada.

"bullying' happens every where, and over anything.

Schools have never been a 'kind' place.
edit on 13-6-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

100%!!!!

My good friend Eric was from CT, and moved to East coast when he was coming into HighSchool. We ALWAYS pestered him LOL

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I had a teacher who picked on me when I was in 8th grade.

I had a teacher like that too. (music teacher)
My parents didn't really care so i had to fend for myself and did.

He grabbed me one day and got a judo throw through a set of double doors.....he never touched me again even though i ended up getting suspended....it was probably a token gesture for humiliating him.

Its funny i hated him and his class so much and then eventually got into music...go figure.
Bully=nothing DrumsRfun=winning.

edit on 13-6-2013 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-6-2013 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Not surprised in the least that a Canadian couldn't stand a little teasing.

I think it's only bullying if it's physical violence. This trend of lumping words in there is dangerous, and against the First amendment.
edit on 13-6-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monger
... because I’m a Canadian,’” Noah Kilpatrick said ...

And in years to come, when she's looking for a job, the HR person will do a google search of her name and find this.

"Hmm... maybe she's a quitting type. Not going to cut in this tough workplace."

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monger
www.cbc.ca...

A 15-year-old boy in Upstate New York alleges that two of his teachers teased him so much about being Canadian that he became depressed, prompting his mother to pull him out of school.

There's an answer for that...

Originally posted by Ghost375
I think it's only bullying if it's physical violence. This trend of lumping words in there is dangerous, and against the First amendment.
Really? Not reading the news much of late, are we?

edit on 13-6-2013 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by Ghost375
Really? Not reading the news much of late, are we?

edit on 13-6-2013 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

wtf are you talking about?

I'm clearly and specifically talking about how the news likes to call it bullying...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join