It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tragedy for Young Oklahoma Tornado Survivor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
.....How do you define true tragedy? For many, the events that occurred in Moore, Oklahoma with their devastating tornado is tragedy enough. From that, came survivors though. One of them, a 5 year old little boy. That would be the inspiration and good news, at least, at the time I'm sure it was.

I'm sad to report that this little boy was killed in another freak incident while staying with a friend of the family in Arkansas.

JESSIEVILLE, Ark. (CBS Houston) — A 5-year-old boy who survived last month’s deadly tornado in Moore, Okla., was killed in a dog attack at a family friend’s home in Jessieville, Ark.

KTHV-TV reports that a Bull Mastiff dog attacked the boy Saturday afternoon after he began throwing a temper tantrum.

I can't even imagine what it must be for the family to cope with this after what they'd already been through and thought they had escaped without serious loss.

Lynn Geiling, 50, and her husband tried to pull the dog off the boy. KLRT-TV reports that the boy suffered “major lacerations” to the head and neck during the attack.

The boy later died at Mercy Hospital in Hot Springs.
Source

I believe there is something to take from every story. Sometimes it's a good thing. Sometimes, it's life experience or perspective. Sometimes is nothing positive at all.

In this case? I think what can be taken from this, as readers, is the value of treasuring each day we have for the complete uncertainty to what each of our futures holds. This is just heartbreaking.

The boy is not named in this and that isn't surprising for the age involved. I think we can still give just a moment to wish the family well.

May the little one Rest in Peace.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
sad news for this morning..

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
*sighs*
I never understand these things .
You hear stories of people saved,and dying later ,in some needless way .

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

What a horrible tragedy.......R.I.P.

The boy and his 2-year-old sister were staying with family friends in Arkansas as their parents stayed back in Moore to rebuild.

I would hate to be the friend that had to call the parents and tell them what happened. So sad.
What the parents must be feeling.

My thoughts and prayers go out to them as well as their friends.
Very awkward situation IMO.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   

My brother has 2 bullmastiffs, they are firkin huge,, That kid had no chance..

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   

So sad. Survive a massive tornado only to die that way.

Bull Mastiffs are BIG dogs.They can be aggressive. My uncle owns two and they're around 150 pounds each and get scared or protective at what they perceive to be a loud noise. The child's tantrum as they put it would set them off.Such a shame.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Completely preventable too....with a $20 muzzle. You never know what can set off a large dog. That is why we always take preventative measures when new people come over. Chances are, the dog never had to experience it before, so the owners were completely unaware of this possible reaction by their beloved pet. No matter how domesticated, never forget these are animals with animal instincts.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Thats what happens when you let someone else watch your kids. They won't do the job a parent would, lack the love.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

That's a bit cold when we don't know what the parents were up to, isn't it? They could well have been back in Moore, in a disaster zone and helping with the recovery while trying to put life together again for themselves and their child.

If they were back in the disaster area, I'd say putting a 5 year old boy with friends in another state was a whole lot better than having him in a dangerous setting like that. That doesn't mention, of course, the mental trauma a small child would tend to continue picking up by seeing adults and otherwise strong people at their worst, emotionally, in the aftermath of such tragedy.

No one could have foreseen the family pet going off like this, by the sound of it. It should have been considered ...maybe... but shoulda/coulda/woulda is just second guessing with all the expertise of hindsight.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
That poor little boy. I've seen so many temper tantrums and surely someone would know how nervous a dog like that might be. He shouldn't have been staying there, but its not anyones fault as the story is given. But I could just picture my son upset and being attacked by a big animal or bear, while upset, it is so tragic, so sad, that poor boy, just unbelievable. I don't believe in a world where people are not safe, 100%. SAFETY COMES FIRST IN THE TESTING GROUND FOR ALL. And nothing else matters.

top topics

join