It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we still have manners, or is that a thing of the past?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I'm probably one of many where I live that are great with manners, though most of them are 90's kids like me. I have seen a few respectful and polite newer generation kids. Really, it all comes down to where you live, what the living conditions are like, who the person is around most, how they were raised, etc.

I was raised to be respectful, polite and caring, it really sticks for me. People tell me that more kids should be more like me, in regards to how respectful and polite I am. I'm also 20 and my boyfriend of 22 (who is also an ATS member) is also as polite and respectful as me... he's very much a gentleman, and I'm proud of it.

So, no, there are many polite and respectful people with manners of younger and older generations, it really depends who you happen across at the moment, and where you are.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Sorry beez haven't read the whole thread so if this is already posted forgive me

I think we were brought up in a different world,

The kids are fine, if a bit confused, but then weren't we all?

Being ex military we learn to look out for those in need, assess, and efficiently deal with the situation.

It comes as a shock to the system to realise the rest of the world isn't the same.

Are we the last generation that cares ? Nah

We just think differently, if said elderly lady was struggling to reach level 74 of some game and the game was to help her put everything away and hoover the carpet to reach level 75

We'd be last to help, but the kids? They'd be straight in there

Hope you're adjusting well my friend

Cody

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
It depends on how children are raised,i would say,it depends on the parents to a great extent.I taught my kids to say please and thank you before they could say dog or cat.Its important to lead by example,eg if leaving a building and an elderly lady is battling down the incline outside,i would,as we came alongside her,place my hand gently under her elbow and ask if she needed help,and make a joke about how this incline is a bit steep+killing my feet in these shoes,etc,to not make her feel like she was decrepit.Kindness,helpfulness and tact can only really be taught through example,there are finer nuances to it sometimes.It's about having the time and inclination to make it a priority to pass these things on to one's children.

<< 1  2   >>

join