It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iOS 7 Released - The best thing since sliced bread

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by an0nThinker

some more info

and if you can't wait until this fall for the official release
here's how to install the beta [not for the faint of heart though]

EDIT- Posted from a windows 8 to go [enterprise] running off an external HDD

edit on 10-6-2013 by TheMagus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by minkmouse

I still do it manually, I just write and sketch on my phone with the S-Pen instead of on pencil and paper. Still actually write and sketch by hand. But if the power goes down I won't have a job to worry about doing manually. My job requires a huge electronic infrastructure to function, and there are no hard copies of most paperwork so it would all go *POOF* along with my job.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
*Poof* is good. screw apple, I'm upgrading my galaxy nexus to GS4 friday when my Dad's iphone4s contract expires. he can get a new phone later.

edit on 11-6-2013 by nrd101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by solizer
I was a android user from the first one that came out and i recently made the switch to iphone and i must say the iphone is way smoother and more of an adult phone. For some reason i cant take android users serious when it comes to a business enviroment. Iphone = adults... Android = Kids play

What you see with the iPhone is a standardisation of hardware so a standard set of software will be guaranteed to run the same on each one. It allows tighter quality control over the software/hardware interface and allows tailoring to a smooth user interface. Snappy. I don't really know, never used one, but if my cheap android phone is anything to go by, android on so many varied devices makes compatibility hard for developers, which means you get less quality control and buggy, laggy hardware interaction.

So it depends on what device you're using and can't really blame the android OS. You get something like samsung smart phones and they're complete bastards.. do almost anything almost instantly, or at least the ones the students on busses seem to have as they flick flap tap away..

So really, they would not be so different in cost, for devices of equal adultness. But with android, you still have the option to go play..

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Disagree with your premise regarding the operating systems of iPhones vs. Android.
iPhones are the embodiment of proprietary software technology while Android phones are "open source" - I'll not debate Windows phones since the day I switched off of MS products altogether.
Open source is one of the best means to insure testing and quality control given there are thousands of developers and a multitude of platforms - this has been proven in the industry for years (just look at what has happened to IBM).

While it may appear the iPhone is a better tested more reliable product, the multiplatform capabilities of Android make it a far more robust software product. BTW, I've been developing software since 1974 when EVERYTHING was proprietary.

ganjoa

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

I agree with ganjoa completely. However, the dalvik virtual machine that runs the apps on Android is highly inefficient. A lot of engineering went into making it serviceable. When google was deciding on what language to write code in they chose wrong. Should have gone with c++/c# instead of java(google now lets you write native linux apps now but its not supported well), this would compare well with the objective c from ios which is more efficient.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Android is an open source OS, there's great things to come from having the whole community working on things. the downside is fragmentation.

Right now, Android pwns the market, they have the majority share. But, if you look closer, no single android device has the share iphone does, granted you've got several generations of iphones out there.

My Galaxy S2 with cyanogen mod 10.1 runs android 4.2.2. Samsung simply won't release that for me, so I got it myself. It flies compared to my coworkers stock galaxy s3. It's actually kind of funny considering his has better hardware, mine is "zippier".

Apple devices are what I'd buy my grandmother, or computer illiterate friend. They are expensive, and when they go bad look out, you are in for some high repair costs and wait times, but on the whole, they are about as simple to use as it gets, they really are. I've watched my wife on her macbook pro from work, countless problems with that POS. On call phone is an iphone4. Wow, craptacular. The screen size alone makes me laugh, I can fit her entire phone ottercase and all inside the screen space of my phone. My battery outlasts hers by a long margin even when keeping a ton of apps resident in memory.

Now my personal experience with IOS ended with ipodtouch, but I can say this much..... It's really nice to have push notifications that actually work. I'm not sure how it's different between apple and android, but I do remember having any push notification apps start failing to notify me after a few days. Has yet to happen with android.

I can seamlessly setup multiple accounts on my android phone and switch between them. I can install WHATEVER apps i want, including apps I've made myself. And guess what? I don't have to pay ANYONE for the android sdk. I grab it for free, rely on some basic linux fundamentals, and I can start coding apps tonight.

I can customize the entire os, remove built in components I don't want, replace system components with custom ones... All of which never requires me to void my warranty or jailbreak / unlock my device. When it comes to calls and sms, that's your carrier, the phones all handle that just fine. Opps, cept ios if you screw up the imessage settings, then you won't send out sms texts until you fix it.

Android might not be "innovating" with each build. But they are doing one thing very well.... giving the community what they want. And if they can't, they've given the community the tools to make those innovations themselves. Apple takes another approach, they ram things down your throat and dictate what you SHOULD want, while ignoring what you do want.

Even android gingerbread, arguably the most in use version out there, offers so much more than any IOS iteration, that it's almost sad.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
New iPhone comes out next month, they upgraded the camera... lens.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by EViLKoNCEPTz

The iSheep are gonna eat this up.

iSheep? How is that much different than being a fanboy of Droid? They are all just phones, made by different companies. In fact, I believe it was Apple that came up with the new paradigm of smart phones. It could be argued that any touchscreen smart phone has borrowed quite a bit from Apple.

In the end, why be a fanboy of either platform? They both have strengths and weaknesses, they are all just hyped up OSes that the public goes mad over. The NSA will spy on Droids just as much as it will on iPhones. Or computers. Or land lines. Etc...

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Anti-Apple, i see. So is this just against their phones and pads or the Macs as well?

But, seeing you work in the tech industry, you should know quite a bit? Do you know about hardware/software related to music production etc? If you do, or maybe know someone who does, please do some research on the following.

Connect a Traktor S2/4, F1 or Pioneer Pioneer DDJ-SX Serato DJ Controller (or any dj controller) to a PC and then to a Macbook. Use a i7 PC & take a Mac i5, to give Windows the "upperhand". Then go and play to a crowd and come back and tell me which one did not freeze up.

Then go and load some music production software, like Ableton, Sonar, Reason etc. and tell me which machine impressed you. No clicks or lags..

There is NO comparison.

I have heard it over and over and over Apple sucks. In our experience, people who is in my line of work, we know, we can only truly trust Apple.

And please do no not take me up in a bad way. The iSheep comment and such made me post why i know Apple kicks PC butt. I just don't understand why Apple gets ripped as if it is a really bad product, when in fact it is the opposite.

*And, no. I am not one who stands in line waiting for the new iphone. Still using my 4 (3 years) and it is going strong.

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: added

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: added

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Let's just be real, most people prefer to use what they started using first.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic

I can agree, to a certain extent

I only started using Mac in the last year after PC proved it cannot take punishment like Mac does.

I too used Blackberry (oh noes) before i switched to iPhone, and i still have that same iPhone today.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by KaelemJames

I have had Macs at my last 2 positions. They are good machines sturdy and reliable. I do not work with audio equipment but I believe that windows overall is a little worst than Mac. Mac is based on Unix and is overall more stable and faster. However, since most of the your community is on Macs they are probably optimized a lot more for macs instead of windows.

And for the record, I did not call any one iSheeps. Apple products overall are for people who are technically less proficient especially their mobile devices. The biggest reason I dislike Apple is because they sue everyone and misuse patents. They stifle innovation with lawsuits instead of competing fairly. With iPhones they were innovative to throw those technologies together but in no way did they do something magical. A lot of it was prior art that they then patented. Apple is more about experience than capabilities..

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Heliophant

Apple didn't come up with the idea of smartphones,Sony used the term first some 5 years before the first gen iPhone.In fact it was the late Steve Jobs who said and made his career on the idea of "good artists copy,great artists steal",and actually admits on camera that all his best ideas were originally someone else's.
Apple changed the way we use personal computers by giving us the first ever GUI (Graphic User Interface),of course they don't like to make a song and dance about stealing it from Xerox do they?
The technology to make smartphones possible was available to everyone at the same time,so no one copied anyone else as the Apple fanboys like to claim,even after they tried to claim such things as they invented multi touch when all they did was buy the patent and put it in their name.So yes it was the first smart phone with a capacitive touch screen,multi touch and kinetic scrolling,but it certainly wasn't the first smart phone by a long shot.
I'm the worlds biggest Android fanboy and wouldn't buy any Apple product all the time I've got a pulse,but I really don't think IOS7 is all that bad.It is bland and has got lots of new features which are a blatant copy from other operating systems,but at least they have made an effort this time which they really haven't before.It's getting more and more difficult to come up with anything original anymore,but you don't hear Ford taking out legal action against VW because the headlights on the new Polo look almost the same as on the new Fiesta do you?

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   

My apologies for thinking it was you whom used the iSheep comment. Clearly I should read. My sincerest apology.

I get upset with Samsung, as IMO they too wanna rule the tech scene. I believe they are the biggest reason that people run Apple down. Not saying Apple is innocent, at all. I am stressing the fact that their products, though expensive, are really good.

I cannot care to pay the couple hundred dollars on a computer that does not fail when I do live work. I have explained on another thread that I have a Samsung PC that failed me numerous times. But then so did my most favorite PC, a Dell, froze on my hardware/sftware that i use. From my awesome Dell I chose the Samsung, even though I had an older MacBook, and now the older Mac is in my studio, and the Samsung I use to browse the web, and for my kids to abuse with games
So the Samsuck does come in handy.

Had to swallow it up and buy a new MacBook to use for live gigs. But it has paid for itself already.

Regards.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by KaelemJames

You lost a lot of credibility when you said "awesome+dell".

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

+1 for you

In all honesty I used that Dell for almost 6 years in my home studio and it never gave me major issues, until newer hardware and later software I use made it suffer. When I decided to upgrade the first pc I bought was another Dell which lasted a few days before returning it and then taking the Samsung. The Samsung also went back for a swop as I thought i got a dud.

The new Dell had graphics issues on that model which i was told and I lost my faith in Dell. I opted for the Samsung as the specs were, well, it looked great.

All I can say is that my old Dell went through tough times, and for me who puts a lot of stress on my computers, it was an awesome pc for its time.

Hey, I have to give credit where it is due
That old Dell D630 still boots up pretty darn quick
She is packed away now and may sleep forever. But I won't buy a Windows PC again..or so I hope!
edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I installed the update for ios7 on my iPad and hate it.
The keyboard is all greyed out, as are icons and mail. I'm scared to install on my iPhone because I have poor vision. The younger people I talk to love it, of course because they have good vision.
There are some cool features but it doesn't make up for this new crapola keyboard . It's obviously geared towards the younger generation, people who can see.

Safari sucks, no search bar, type into address bar and it might take you to google, might not.
I had to turn icloud off on some things, like safari because it's spying on my other devices on the same Apple ID, like if I leave a page open on another device, it shows up on my iPad. I share my iPad with others and don't like how then can click on the cloud icon and view what tabs are open on my other device. I found it when I hit the cloud by accident.

After I turned icloud off I have to keep logging back into ats, when I return. It used to be I could close down all my tabs when done with safari, in case others used my iPad. I'm not going to do the save my password thing, to work around this issue.
edit on 23-9-2013 by violet because: (no reason given)

So yes they have save passwords now. Not very secure.

If you ask me all these updates are just more ways they can spy. They play on people's weaknesses, of laziness, so people think its handy and like it. If I want to continue reading what page I was on, on another device, I can text or email myself the link. I don't want my tabs saved.

Some people share their Apple ID with their children, so I think this tab saving thing is stupid. It also exposes what apple is keeping track of.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Lysergic

That's true for me. I use apple iPad and iPhone but my computer is a PC. I wouldn't replace it with a Mac. Don't like them. When I wanted portable like a laptop, I got a net book, and didn't like it. I got my iPad for free. Since I got the iPad I never need to visit my computer. I'm disabled and sitting at my computer causes me to sit crooked, and it's painful, which I'm not supposed to be doing. I can only use one hand to type, so it's easier to do that on an iPad keyboard, even though this new keyboard sucks. It's still easier. I run my life on my apple stuff. All my reminders, because I forget everything now with my brain damage. I fall a lot and if my phone went dead I have the iPad as back up to text another apple user to come help me.

So people have their reasons why certain products suit them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join