It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was This The Greatest Engineering Feet Of WW II ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Some members of ATS may not be aware of "The Mulberry Harbour". The harbour was constructed in Britain during WW II. It consisted of huge reinforced concrete caissons and steel pontoon bridges. They where towed across the channel and assembled in Normandy.
They enabled the landing of vehicles and equipment for the invasion of France that begun on 6th June 1944, also know as "D Day".

The British also laid an undersea pipeline to carry fuel across The English Channel into Normandy to fuel the invasion vehicles etc.

en.wikipedia.org...

I nominate it as the greatest piece of engineering of WW II. Other nominees would be interesting from ATS members.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Yes there was a tremedous amount of logistics that went into the success of D-day. I'd say for every soldier that landed, there were 5 people behind him, carrying the support for that one soldier. Food, Fuel, Ammo, Etc..... Tons and tons of supplies. Amazing they could pull it off, but that was then, and we couldnt even dream of doing it that good these days

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Glassbender777

Two of these harbours where actually constructed. Known as "Mulberry A" & "Mulberry B". Mulberry A was assembled and placed on Omaha beach, and Mulberry B on Gold beach.
As you rightly said it was the "Backroom Boys" who can also take the credit for the D Day Landings success.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
See........see there....that's what I'm talking about........what the hail.....man..
how come everyone in the world doesn't know about such a wonder.....I'm tellin ya....that was the hand of God....the MIghty Right Hand of God.....and no mishaps in transport.....fabricated in how dad-gum long...? one year....aaammmaazzzzinggg

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Amazing! Another one you should check out (although they never built it.....just a smaller prototype) was the enormous aircraft carrier constructed from ice.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flatcoat
Amazing! Another one you should check out (although they never built it.....just a smaller prototype) was the enormous aircraft carrier constructed from ice.

I remember reading about that. There is am article about it here:-

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatcoat

i remember a old sea dog who told me that story and more as a little boy

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Sorry nothing to add here. Just simply trying to throw the NSA off of my reading habits.

I did flag you though.

new topics

top topics

join