It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hillary Clinton's 'NASA told me girls couldn't be astronauts" letter -- was it real?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Was there any historical evidence for this, or else,
where did the story come from?

Hillary Clinton's 'NASA told me girls couldn't be astronauts" letter -- was it real?
www.thespacereview.com...

We're at the 50th anniversary of the first woman in space,
a milestone where historical retrospection is fitting.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Well Jim, even if her story is true, I don't think Hillary is the type of woman to accept a 'NO' answer. If she really did want to become an astronaut, she obviously wasn't persistent enough, because the article says that women her age were in the initial group of female astronauts to be trained.

I think it was a literary invention for the speech.

At least I didn't call her a liar.
edit on 10-6-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

Your link says she received the letter in 1961-2? Different world back then. I know, I grew up in it. Women were secretaries, housewives and sex toys in a male dominated chauvinistic world. The tone of that NASA rejection letter doesn't surprise me a bit.

Ever watch "Mad Men"? They try to capture it somewhat.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Hey! You just called my mom a sex toy!

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by intrptr

Hey! You just called my mom a sex toy!

No I didn't. I guess I should have said, women in general. When it came to large corporations, there were only certain roles for them. One was to be sexually harassed by cretins that called themselves men. There, now I insulted your dad too.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

It's okay if you insult him, he wasn't that nice of a guy.

You are absolutely right about the genders and their roles in those years.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

It was a strange time. Right after that began the womens lib movement, where they revolted against all that stay at home stuff. And Commies, Vietnam, hippie free love, The Bomb, Johnson, Nixon... excuse me I am going to hurl...

It still all twists me inside. What a mind job to play on all the kids growing up back then. No wonder we turned out the way we did. I tend to believe Hillary on this one.

I still read Youtube comments like "Get back in the kitchen" and "Make me a sammich".

Turd brains... sorry mods

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

Your link says she received the letter in 1961-2? Different world back then. I know, I grew up in it. Women were secretaries, housewives and sex toys in a male dominated chauvinistic world. The tone of that NASA rejection letter doesn't surprise me a bit.

Ever watch "Mad Men"? They try to capture it somewhat.

Love the show. But how does it make Clinton's claimed letter true, if there's no other evidence FOR it, and a lot of indirect evidence AGAINST it?

Sort of like Dan Rather's "fake but accurate' Bush AWOL memo forgery?

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Love the show. But how does it make Clinton's claimed letter true, if there's no other evidence FOR it, and a lot of indirect evidence AGAINST it?

It doesn't (make it true). Why would she lie about it though. I see nothing to gain by it?

Sort of like Dan Rather's "fake but accurate' Bush AWOL memo forgery?

I'll settle for fake but accurate in this case as well. Because it fits the era so well. Put it this way... what organizations allowed women in their ranks? Nursing, stenography, maid, etc. They were required to fit the mold men made for them.

No?

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   

It doesn't (make it true). Why would she lie about it though. I see nothing to gain by it?

Just like she would never lie about being shot at in Bosnia .... if you don't see what she has to gain look harder, it's not difficult to see.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

if you don't see what she has to gain look harder, it's not difficult to see.

Uhhh, the support of women?

Don't get me wrong, she drips lies. If you know me, you know my stance on her.

Just don't see it with this.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   

reply to post by OccamsRazor04

if you don't see what she has to gain look harder, it's not difficult to see.

Uhhh, the support of women?

Don't get me wrong, she drips lies. If you know me, you know my stance on her.

Just don't see it with this.

Women, and others. It's her of way of saying look, I am just like you, I'm one of the little guys too. I grew up being told women can't do that, I suffered that, I understand your pain. While the reality is that she had doors opened for her most women could never dream of, but she didn't want people to think that, so she lied.

top topics

join