It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oppositional Defiance Disorder (What the HELL is this crap?!)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

Funny, but in my time they would call much of this type of behavior "juvenile delinquency". I don't make this comment snidely because it was just another label for a certain set of behaviors and equally as stigmatizing as any other label.

That being said, this certainly isn't a new diagnosis as my son was originally given this diagnosis almost 20 years ago. Interesting to note, he was finally diagnosed as having cognitive functioning which fell somewhere along the Autism spectrum where frustration tolerance was greatly lacking because of his inability to see the "grays" of any situation (he interprets everything literally as either "black or white"). This is a highly simplified explanation, but he lived in a constant state of frustration because his ability to communicate effectively was limited by his inability to see or express nuances, both verbally and especially non-verbally. This frustration advanced to anger which inevitably boiled over as rage (expressed and seen as oppositional defiance). Once we knew what was truly going on inside his brain, the proper behavioral and environmental remediations were put into place which helped him function on a much more balanced basis.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
My son was diagnosed with ADD 2 years ago(or so) and at first, I would not hear of medications. But after discussing it for a while with my wife our son's pediatritian , we decided to try and I told the doc: If I see my son turning into a vegetable, I will flush the pills down the toilet.

Her answer suprised me...she said that that side effect is the most obvious sign that the medication if WAY too strong for the kid and should stop taking it IMMEDIATELY. It should never ever affect his positiveness and energy levels...it should only make his concentration level rise and nothing else. She specifically told me that Ritalin was the LAST RESORT medication as it is the strongest of them all.

My son started with Bifentin and is now with Vivance. He was failing school big time (25-40% avg) and within a few months on the meds, his grades skyrocketted and is now passing with flying colors. (80+%)

**note that my son doesn't have hyperactivity or aggressiveness at all, he only had a really hard time concentrating on anything but video games.

I dont push for people to take meds, but I must say that in my son's case, I must admit that it does help him a lot, and what reassures me is that his doc is working in the direction of removing the meds from his routine, not increasing it, her goal is for kids that are on meds to get off them ASAP, not increasing their dosage to make them stoned!!!. I think we found a rare case of a GOOD doctor in our area.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I dont push for people to take meds, but I must say that in my son's case, I must admit that it does help him a lot, and what reassures me is that his doc is working in the direction of removing the meds from his routine, not increasing it, her goal is for kids that are on meds to get off them ASAP, not increasing their dosage to make them stoned!!!. I think we found a rare case of a GOOD doctor in our area.
reply to post by Teye22

This doctor sounds wonderful!

My son has ADHD, a touch of ODD, all rolled up into atypical autism. He can fly into a serious rage at a simple request. Therapy is helping a lot with this.

I've always thought the best treatment for ADHD is to combine medication with teaching the children strategies to help them manage on their own. Like using fidget toys, mental breaks, etc. the medication is used the first couple of years or so until the child's natural maturity begins to kick in. Then you stop the meds and let the strategies help the child cope.

Good luck with your child, sounds like you guys are in great hands!

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Its not enough to just obey authority.

You must love and worship authority.

Live and die for the authority.

Praise Orwell!

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Thanks Smyleegrl, Good luck to you too. We are indeed very fortunate to have found this doctor (referred to us by the school psychologist).

As long as all of us in this same boat move forward, even if its small steps, forward is forward right!?!

Good evening all!!

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain

It´s all about money, if you think about it.

Big Pharma are actively lobbying to have more and more "symptoms" identified as "treatable diseases", giving them all the more reason to research and develop new medicines to "cure/alleviate" it.

Same with the actual doctors/psychologists payed to define/develop/diagnose these "disorders". They are also deep in the pockets of Big Pharma.

It is a natural concequence of the current monetary system based on greed and endless growth, if you think about it.

To some extent, you're right. But it's not all about money, really. It's about control. A chemical lobotomy is the ultimate control mechanism. "Mental health treatment" that you cannot refuse is bad enough on it's own. But when you tack on classifying resistance and protest as a mental disorder, this is unbelievably creepy!

There is more than just money involved here. Ideology is worth something to the people running the show. Remember that. Many of them believe in what they are doing. They believe they have a legitimate right to rule the world with an iron fist. In their minds, if you get in the way, you are committing a crime even if you're just peacefully protesting. If there is no law against it, they will keep twisting things until they make one.

Yes. I suppose it puts the icing on the cake that they make money at the same time but I don't think it's all about the money.

When I was in school, we had hall monitors. There was no monetary reward for this but the control freaks invariably surfaced. There was no financial incentive for them to abuse this minor position of authority over the other kids. They just enjoyed the feeling of power it gave them.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Hi, I'm an ATS member with ODD.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
And probably the most sinister thing about it is they're going after the kids. "Nipping it in the bud" so to speak.

They'll probably (mostly) leave the old dogs alone (can't teach them new tricks). They'll focus on destroying the spark of individuality and the hunger for freedom when it's most vulnerable. If you want a world filled with compliant drones, you get to them when they're young and impressionable.

So now it's becoming more clear why they want to "get rid of the stigma" associated with "mental illness" (as they define it). It helps them a lot if your friends and your family aren't afraid to turn you in for being "oppositional". "It's OK to ask for help" says good old Uncle Joe.

edit on 6-6-2013 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
This is for anyone who says they do not agree with the government et al. They can then classify us as having a psych disorder,ergo we cannot own a gun and may need to be institutionalized.
This is nuts ,and its not the lot of us,that have lost our minds .

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by PtolemyII
This is for anyone who says they do not agree with the government et al. They can then classify us as having a psych disorder,ergo we cannot own a gun and may need to be institutionalized.
This is nuts ,and its not the lot of us,that have lost our minds .

I believe there is definitely a very real danger of that.

However. Consider this. The people in power today have learned by trial and error that it's a lot easier to build a totalitarian system when it cannot be seen. They are aware of the fact that if they start institutionalizing a lot of people for nebulous mental disorders, people will catch on (even as dumbed down as Americans are, they aren't quite that stupid, I hope). People won't believe it if they don't see people being dragged off to the gulags by the thousands.

I believe they're eying the future more than the present. Which is why they're focusing mostly on young people. Just like they have been doing all along (and why "Progressive" is such a great descriptor for them), they will phase us out. And we won't even really feel or see it happening. The next generation (Maybe 20 years from now) will be the one where no protest will be tolerated.

edit on 6-6-2013 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by BrianFlanders

I'm noticing a trend for ,"over the next ten years " .
Figure,we are hearing about all of it ,about a year afters its actually been put on paper somewhere .

They want it all in place by 2020 ish,give or take a couple of years.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Yet another diabolical way to keep TPTB in power.......their methods of control up until now , while effective, are showing "kinks in the armor" too many people are "waking up" to the BS faster and faster these days, and as things get worse, people are going to be "pissed off !"

No longer can they label anyone who sees the big picture as a "Conspiracy Nut" when you have a majority of people calling for government reform, and we end up with Obama in the US remaining yet another "henchman" for a globalist agenda that clearly the majority of people oppose, even if they don't fully understand the complete implications.

While I'm not willing to go as far as saying anyone who still trusts the government has a mental disorder, I would say those folks are ignorant, delusional and sorely lacking in common sense.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Whats it called when you don't believe you have any authority figures?
Cause Im a grown ass man.
You gotta have authority figures to hate on, I have none.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by timidgal
. . .

That being said, this certainly isn't a new diagnosis as my son was originally given this diagnosis almost 20 years ago. Interesting to note, he was finally diagnosed as having cognitive functioning which fell somewhere along the Autism spectrum where frustration tolerance was greatly lacking because of his inability to see the "grays" of any situation (he interprets everything literally as either "black or white"). This is a highly simplified explanation, but he lived in a constant state of frustration because his ability to communicate effectively was limited by his inability to see or express nuances, both verbally and especially non-verbally. This frustration advanced to anger which inevitably boiled over as rage (expressed and seen as oppositional defiance). Once we knew what was truly going on inside his brain, the proper behavioral and environmental remediations were put into place which helped him function on a much more balanced basis.

This post of your was one of the most blessed and joyful things I've read on ATS in many months, possibly years.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

You handled things, imho, EXTREMELY WELL and far above average. I wish you could train some of my psychologist colleagues. LOL.

Sometimes--too often, imho, school counselors and other mental health professionals are far too locked into their own too distorted constructions on reality to deal growthfully and wisely . . . not to mention creatively . . . with such problems.

Of course, imho, the time to minimize problems is the first 6-8 years of a child's life. As you noted, though, that can be easier said than done.

Clearly you toughed it out and hung in there with RELATIONSHIP BASED behavioral shaping and won the day. Your child will reap a rich reward of all those tireless blood-sweat-and-tears efforts the rest of his life.

CONGRATS, CONGRATS, CONGRATS.

Counselors see far too much of so many people doing it wrong. It's such a joy to read of someone doing it RIGHT.

YEA! Thanks for the honor of reading your narrative.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nephalim

Wellllllllllllll

it's certainly possible to be defiant and rebellious against such authority figures as are common in the social and political matrix that is modern life.

And given the globalists' evil doings, folks who aren't hostile to them are either already robotized, asleep or clueless.

However, the behavioral pattern depicted is by definition identified in childhood and often worsened in the teen years. Certainly it CAN continue into adulthood. I just don't know of many cases where the label was assigned the first time to adults.

Nevertheless, certainly adults CAN be outrageously defiant and rebellious in a similar way.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN

Originally posted by Nephalim

Wellllllllllllll

it's certainly possible to be defiant and rebellious against such authority figures as are common in the social and political matrix that is modern life.

And given the globalists' evil doings, folks who aren't hostile to them are either already robotized, asleep or clueless.

However, the behavioral pattern depicted is by definition identified in childhood and often worsened in the teen years. Certainly it CAN continue into adulthood. I just don't know of many cases where the label was assigned the first time to adults.

Nevertheless, certainly adults CAN be outrageously defiant and rebellious in a similar way.

Well I would have to say that one can observe the written law, spiritual law, establish morals and ethics based on such and be free of authority figures. Surely by the time one is of mature age, a person can become an authority unto himself and most certainly decide what is right and wrong on his or her own. It would seem that for me to say and or believe otherwise would be to go against all we believe in as a society and possibly exclude us all from ever achieving anything even remotely close to actual civility.

Apparently those who are incapable of such often meet cell bars, padded walls or an early grave. I'll not have any of that type of authority over me thank you very much.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

So many labels, its almost to the point where normal is abnormal, and abnormal is the norm. So maybe they should label all of the normal people abnormal, and all the abnormal... normal.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Very eye-opening - and worrying - after recently reading that caffeine withdrawal is apparently now a classified mental disorder.

The American Psychiatric Association appear to be trying to identify as many problem behaviours as they can, but passing these off as diagnosable mental disorders....which I believe most sensible people agree they are not.

A problem behaviour is just that - and only that.

My neighbour is noisy. That's a problem behaviour.

He may or may not have a mental disorder, but that's by the by.

Being a noisy neighbour is not the mental disorder!

I'm surprised and shocked at the facility with which these 'disorders' are diagnosed in the US.

I'm pretty sure it's not quite that surreal yet in Britain (but ADHD has caught on over here).

Many of these conditions overlap, and it's pretty obvious that there's probably an overarching 'umbrella' condition that accounts for it...the real mental disorder that is, not just some behavioural facet of it.

For instance, the signs/symptoms of ADHD have similarities with depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, and antisocial personality disorder.

Christ, who knows? Maybe even they are just behavioural facets of something still broader, more inclusive.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

The people who are going to feed the system are probably going to be turned into slaves and robots through various methods.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by solve

why dont "they" make bad-parenting, a mental disorder?

Exactly this.

<< 1    3  4 >>

join