It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange aircraft UAV?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Hi all
I hope this is the right place, I apologize if its not in advance.

I spent quite a few hours today outside cleaning my van when I heard something unusual, not the normal roaring of the jets, not the deep noise from a the private owned single engined prop planes.

It sounded high pitched and I could tell there were 2 props spinning, it drew my attention instantly and I gaze up and saw this aircraft.

At first I thought it was a glider and searched the rest of the sky for the source of the noise, there was not anything else visible, when I had a proper look I could see that it had a small propeller on each wing near the body of the aircraft.
It was flying directly away from me and there wasn't really time to grab a picture.

The location is above STANTA battle area in Norfolk England, there is also what looks like a blimp?
Anyone else see anything?

edit on 5-6-2013 by Markive because: Location details

After a few pages of google images I found this being the closest.

Would it make sence?
edit on 5-6-2013 by Markive because: Found picture

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
There are several new UAV systems in testing both in the US and in Europe. So it could be any of those.

I wonder if it was Phantom Eye. After the second or third flight it just dropped off the radar.

edit on 6/5/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
There are several new UAV systems in testing both in the US and in Europe. So it could be any of those.

I wonder if it was Phantom Eye. After the second or third flight it just dropped off the radar.

Certainly a good match of the OP's description, not to sure as to how the OP came to the conclusion that the props were 'small' though.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

dude thats the landing gear? what does it land in the water??? LOL

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by boomer135

It's like the old German Komet in WWII. It uses the wheels to take off, then lands on retractable skids. They caused a problem on the first flight, because they dug into the lake bed and damaged the aircraft.

About the 2:00 mark

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy

Certainly a good match of the OP's description, not to sure as to how the OP came to the conclusion that the props were 'small' though.

I've since seen this aircraft another 2 times.

I described the props as small because of the high pitch tone and how close the engines/motors were to the body of the aircraft.
If I see it again I will grab my binos.
The boeing phantom eye looks very very similar.

I posted that first day as it was the first UAV looking thing i've seen airbourne nearby.
Tons of helecopters and jets all day long, sometimes a small twin engined aircraft circles for hours on end.

More Information on the location.
edit on 15-6-2013 by Markive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
No mystery...it's one of those canyard wing twins.......high pitched and different looking
fast, too! I have one here at Mckinney Texas, I see alot the last two years or more.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
The US test alot of UAV's in England including one that was triangled in shape, slow and flew low to the ground, but it will remain nameless to keep the triangle guys happy...

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

The Phantom Eye prototype is still at NASA Dryden Flight Research Center at Edwards AFB. It was being fueled for a test the other day.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Are there any BAE sites nearby? Could it have been a large model? I know it's unlikely (& illegal) but it's possible that someone could have been doing some FPV r/c flying. Essentially the same as a drone, and many r/c models are huge nowadays.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Thanks for all the replies.
Well, I've seen it again this time I reached for my phone..
The pictures are not very good I'm afraid as it had already turned away but perhaps I'll try and borrow a camera and get some better shots.

The aircraft turns very fast, it almost pitches right over while turning.

The same as the other times I was noticed the noise before I looked up.

I estimate the wingspan to be between 8 meters and a maximum 12 meters.

If its being flown in broad daylight I wouldn't imagine there is anything secret about it, now the slow moving high pitched miniature jet sounds heard during the night might be another matter and for another thread!

As I see there is true interest from the aircraft fans I'll try and get that picture to put your minds at rest.

Thanks again.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
The pictures make it easy to identify. That is the Solar Impulse.

solarimpulse.com...

www.solarimpulse.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
It has little fins turned up on the wingtips and what looks like little fins turned down on the tail plane with perhaps a fin underneath the tail like a surfboard fin.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Mmmm... strange sound - whine - winglets on tailplanes and wingtips.... Diamond Twinstar I reckon.

www.airplane-pictures.net...

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

I think that might be it, amazing skills there Britguy, I'll still have a good look with some binos next time I see it to be sure.
Thanks

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I know the MoD were operating 2 or 3 Twinstars in a surveillance evaluation role back in 2008/2009 but not sure if they are still using the aircraft or others for this purpose. Of course, it may not have been a military flight at all but is highly likely over that area.

First time I heard a Twinstar I wondered what the hell it was as it has a very distinctive sound.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Kind of interesting timing. I got an alert earlier today about Twin Star G-SELC belonging to the Stapleford Flying Club declaring an emergency.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

I agree with you that it looks like a Diamond DA 42. Here are a couple of pics I took of one flying over my house a few weeks ago, I tried to identify whether or not it was a military owned example, but was unable to do so.

OP, is this the plane you saw?

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by waynos

Looks like the MoD might still be using them. Notice it carries both a civilian registration and the Red / Blue RAF flash on the tail.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Done some further work in the last few minutes via Lightroom and Google and it appears to be G-DMPP

www.caa.co.uk...

Is it just me or does it look like the info has tantalising gaps in it? Also, for a civil aircraft why does it seem to be equipped with the same pods the MoD ones had?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join