It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al-Rahma Islamic Centre destroyed in 'racist attack' (London)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
How can this be a racist attack? Islam is a religion, not a race.

I'm sick and tired of the race card constantly being played in the context of Islam. It presupposes that every Muslim is non-white (a racist assumption in itself, ironically) and cheapens the real meaning of the word 'racist.'

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
It surprises me that they Let the press run this story.
they usually stop them.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
It surprises me that they Let the press run this story.
they usually stop them.

how and when?

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

I can not support the attacking of people or property unless under the most extraordinatily extreme situations. This is not one of those situations. Westerners as a whole, I believe, condemn the attack on any religious building. This is one of the distinguishing features of the West. Unfortunately, the same can not be said for Jihadis.

But my request to you is to reconsider your rather casual use of words.

I always find it interesting when people say its not "racist"

I agree you cannot technically be "racist" against Islam

but..
That is semantically identical to saying: "I always find it interesting when people say 2+2 = 4. I agree, technically, "2+2 = 4," but . . .

We must not speak like that, we must not even think like that. If you are one of the dwindling number of people who think understanding is a path towards peace, at the very least you must use words that mean what you say. If you refuse to select the correct word, the alternative is to select the correct caliber.

"Racism" is a weapon. Attempting to use it when it is inaccurate renders an entire argument suspect, cheapens the word for when it is appropriate, and gives one the appearance of an emotional bully.

It does no good to exchange "xenophobic" for "racist," the error, and objection, is identical.

My understanding is that, at least in the US, the belief is that Muslims are welcome, but people who are actively attempting crimes and plots to advance their religion and laws are not. That is not "racism," "xenophobia," or 'Islamophobia," that is rational and intelligent behavior and should be applauded.

lets not all start arguing over the use of the word racist because at the end of the day any hate towards Muslims is just as bad in all the same ways as hate towards a black man.
No, let's argue over the use of the word "racist,' because it is being used wrongly. The difference between right and wrong is important and must be upheld by any who want society upheld.

And the idea that any hate towards a group of people solely because of their skin color is the same as hatred towrds a group of people who have a sizeable number of members driven by that group's ideology to slice off my head, is pure bosh and drivel. No one should allow an idea like that to stay in their heads for more than the two seconds it takes to recognize it as sheer lunacy on the same level as a man who believes he's a breakfast bun.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc

An Islamic centre in north London has been destroyed by a fire in an apparent racially motivated attack.

A spokesman said the letters EDL (English Defence League) were sprayed on to the building, used by the Somali Bravanese Welfare Association.

BBC News

At approximately 3.15AM tuesday night, fire fighters were called to put out the flames of this islamic community centre.

Obviously the first thing the police are going to do is treat it as a racist attack. I hate to admit it but i think they can call this a racist attack on this occasion. Two men have been changed over the incident.
This has to be one of the most pointless acts of vandalism/arson ever committed. Who the hell wants to live in a war zone? What if muslims were stupid enough to start setting other peoples community centre's on fire as an act of revenge?

What i find really sad is that the kids are always going to know that they're community centre was purposely targeted because of the faith/race they were born into - This will surely aid in breeding opposing racist views against white people in general.

What the hell happened to respect??
im going for an insurance job. By the way if you dont support the e.d.l then you support radical islam. Many times the e.d.l has called for all moderate muslims to join the e.d.l. unfortunately not many british muslims has heed the call. I wonder why?

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

you make some very good points

so

Perhaps i did not make what i was trying to say clear enough

no its is not racism and yes the word is being misused by the media

but in my own personal opinion i don't think that really matters because i view Racism and Islamophobia as two equal wrongs. It doesn't really matter to me because i know its not "racism" but in my view its just as bad, it seems to have been moved into colloquialism that "racist" can include hate of another religious beliefs even thought hat is not technically true.

I don't think we should all be debating the use of the word "racist" on this thread but rather discussing what has happened and why.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by symptomoftheuniverse

By the way if you dont support the e.d.l then you support radical islam.

what a load of rubbish!

I hate Islamic extremism, I detest the way that a minority has twisted religion to advocate violence and split communities

but i also hate rioting scum that run down streets in masks shouting "E! E! E! EDL"

I hate both the EDL and Islamic extremism.

yes something really does need to be done about Islamic extremism

the EDL is not the solution they are actually part of the problem.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Why dont all moderate muslims join the edl? Is it because most muslims want sharia law in the u.k.
The edl is against radical islam. You slag the edl off which means you are for radical islam.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Iam not a member of the EDL does that mean I support radical Islam?

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I dont know, do you? Probably .
Do you think the edl is wrong for being against radical islam?
edit on 5-6-2013 by symptomoftheuniverse because: added oppinion

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Racism and hero, two words used so often they have lost all meaning.

I am an American so I'm not well versed on the EDL, but is anyone stupid enough to telegraph their guilt like that.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

I hate all religion but at least I understand that the EDL is just full of idiots who want Britain white etc, I have seen there rallys and know what type of people the EDL attract, just as bad as the BNP in my book.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

Im betting on an insurance job. All the edl wants is to stop radical islam in britain,they invite all colours and creeds. They are not a banned organisation at all. But theres been 10000 victims of muslim peodophile grooming gangs and thats why i support the edl. The most vulnerable girls in our country given to theese people to do with what they like. But the muslim grooming gangs are not racist even though their victims are predominantly white. Where as the edl are the scum of the earth because they have been trying to speakout about whats been happening for years and years.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

You are wrong im afraid and i suspect you wont change your mind.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

I could believe an insurance job

I could believe the whites defaced a memorial to incite anger towards Islam

I could believe Muslims burned down their own building to garner sympathy

I hate when people add -phobe on Islam. -Phobe means fear. Nobody with any sense fears Islam or Muslims. I guess Misoislamic just doesn't have the same ring.

edit on 5-6-2013 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
What the hell happened to respect??

Boss, aren't you confusing tolerance with respect?

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

As long as you believe! Just dont believe in the racist part of the title of the thread

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Assuming ofcourse this isn't a set up by muslims, to cause a crackdown on britons. Theyre not above burning down their own buildings if it furthers Jihad.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Looks like a new kind of war is coming to Europe.

Considering the way Islamic aggression comtinues, is there any surprise.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

Looks like a new kind of war is coming to Europe.

Considering the way Islamic aggression comtinues, is there any surprise.

After what the judeao christians have done to their countries ( like installing the shaw of IRAN for example ), is it any wonder?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join